Two Planes Collide at CLT

YVINTERN

Veteran
Jun 28, 2007
The Potomac
Visit site
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Officials say two US Airways flights were delayed when wingtips bumped and broke navigation lights as the jets were being pushed back from a terminal.

Will Plentl, deputy director at Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, said the incident happened Friday night.

Valerie Wunder of US Airways said the airline was determining how to get the passengers to their destinations.

She said the flights involved were Flight 1857 from Charlotte to Orlando and Flight 1586 to Philadelphia.

Greg Brownell is sports editor of The Post-Star in Glen Falls, N.Y., and was aboard the Orlando flight. He said he didn't feel the bump but saw it and then the passengers were taken off the airplane.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/15386916/detail.html?taf=char

Deleted by moderator...............

Moderator note:
YV that comment was un necessary. Just the story please.

ok ... how is this tempe's fault? what happened to the wing walkers? executives at tempe were not pushing back the a/c. the ground crew were. sorry guys but blaming management for every little thing is getting rediculous. we have to take responsibility for our own mistakes. am i the only one who see's this? good thing no one was hurt . if i misunderstood your post then i apologize and take back everything i said.

Moron is not is not acceptable colorful language when in reference
to my fellow workers.

Please apologize!

You don't know the circumstances, I do. I know you are making light
of a situation, but not at the expense of people who don't deserve that.

Moderators please close. This is not funny!

Employees at US Airways ARE NOT Morons but whoever was pushing back both flights were clearly not exercising the mandated safety restrictions on the ramp...

As for the Moderator...Why don't you go ahead and oppress MY damn right to the first amendment...the freedom of speech, freedom of press without interference by anyone or the government...You could have deleted Moron BUT leave the funny comment in.

Etops1...This is not Tempe's fault but they did manage to suspend an employee for posting safety bulletins at a station...Does that not say something?

Redeye, not to get personal I apologize but CLEARLY whoever enabled this incident to occur is incompetent or they simply had a lapse in judgment at this time...

As for the Moderator...Why don't you go ahead and oppress MY damn right to the first amendment...the freedom of speech, freedom of press without interference by anyone or the government...You could have deleted Moron BUT leave the funny comment in.
This is a private venue. The First Amendment does not apply.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
No one is stopping you from starting your own site where you can rant to your heart's content.

Employees at US Airways ARE NOT Morons but whoever was pushing back both flights were clearly not exercising the mandated safety restrictions on the ramp...

Etops1...This is not Tempe's fault but they did manage to suspend an employee for posting safety bulletins at a station...Does that not say something?

Redeye, not to get personal I apologize but CLEARLY whoever enabled this incident to occur is incompetent or they simply had a lapse in judgment at this time...

CLEARLY huh?

Why don't you dazzle us with your crystal vision.
I don't in any way want to sound combative but
people from the company and the Union were on the
property till after 4am trying to sort it all out. There were
many variables involved which need not be
discussed on this board. The article you read from
the associated press did not reveal any of these
variables to allow anyone here to see the situation
clearly.
With that the name calling was unfounded.
The workers were competant, I see them daily
as much as I see my own family, and with that
it becomes personal.
I hope you understand.

Thanks for the apology.

Thanks for the apology.

Wow! "Thanks for the apology"?

So, you want YVINTERN to act like some sort of abused spouse, like every employee at AWA, and apologize for every error on the part of Tempe?

Tempe is supposed to manage. If they cannot do that (lots of examples) they should just leave. If they cannot leave, the employees need to kick those no-loads out, permanently. If not sooner. They are lazy bastards, attempting to blame their own errors on line employees.

I would suggest that, sans the cretins in Tempe, the corporation could do quite well, IMO.

CLEARLY huh?

Why don't you dazzle us with your crystal vision.
I don't in any way want to sound combative but
people from the company and the Union were on the
property till after 4am trying to sort it all out. There were
many variables involved which need not be
discussed on this board. The article you read from
the associated press did not reveal any of these
variables to allow anyone here to see the situation
clearly.
With that the name calling was unfounded.
The workers were competant, I see them daily
as much as I see my own family, and with that
it becomes personal.
I hope you understand.

Thanks for the apology.
Redeye: Most incidents I've seen or heard of are complicated. Usually
a bunch of things have to go wrong to set up an incident. Rarely
is it the case that one person is responsible due to negligence.

The ramp sometimes looks tame but it really is a wierd environment.
Last year something like 90 people world wide were killed on the ramp.
I just went to a PHX safety class. I was very impressed. They're never
going to figure out how to make the ramp 100% safe but I feel
like they're doing a pretty good job.

I hope all concerned get fair treatment..BF

I sure am glad YV inlightened us with their insight. I got more information from them than I learned all day at work. Yea right. I do know the whole story but I am not about to share that here on this forum. As for the agents involved I also know them all personally and they are all very competent and safety minded rampers. Sometimes things happen. If you were not personally involved anything said is pure speculation or hearsay.

What I find truely amazing is the fact that the article says "two USAirways flights were delayed when wingtips bumped and broke navigation lights" but YV morphed that into a thread that says "Two Planes Collide at CLT". Talk about sensationalizing something and blowing it all out of porprotion.

It is no wonder that CLT does not have more accidents. B & C concourses
join in somewhat of a U shape. Scheduling has the majority of the flights
in "the hole" as we call it push within minutes of each other. 6 to 8 aircraft
will push at the same time. From the towers vantage it can look like an
Olympic synchronized event. Im sure there have been many flight crews
who have puckered their backsides as witnesses.

Thanks

I sure am glad YV inlightened us with their insight. I got more information from them than I learned all day at work. Yea right. I do know the whole story but I am not about to share that here on this forum. As for the agents involved I also know them all personally and they are all very competent and safety minded rampers. Sometimes things happen. If you were not personally involved anything said is pure speculation or hearsay.

What I find truely amazing is the fact that the article says "two USAirways flights were delayed when wingtips bumped and broke navigation lights" but YV morphed that into a thread that says "Two Planes Collide at CLT". Talk about sensationalizing something and blowing it all out of porprotion.

b-7 and b-9 with a widebody on 9 and 757 with winglets on 7 has been an accident waiting to happen......

well I guess it did.... not to mention both pushing simultaneously . there couldn't be more than 2 or 3 feet seperation

from the wings. I hope management takes a hard look at this and considers some gate restrictions.......