TWU and SWA

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Should the TWU members at SWA trust the International?

The TWU represents workers at SWA and AMR.

AMR makes up more than 50% of the ATD.An even greater percentage of the TWU ATD is from AMR, prior to McDaniels appointment to the International wasnt the International rep for SWA a former AA employee?

The International owns the contracts at AA, not the AA locals.

International officials have entered into confidentiality agreements with AMR.

If I worked at SWA I would be concerned that the TWU is working with AMR to put SWA out of business.

It all comes down to numbers, between AA and AE, AMR makes up the majority of the TWU ATD. By representing a few workers at other carriers the TWU could be funneling information to their biggest dues supplier-AMR. The TWU already provides AMR with the most favorable contracts. Workers at AA and AE earn much less than the same workers at SWA, this puts SWA at a disadvantage.

So while SWA TWU members may enjoy a lot of autonomy under the TWU, unlike their brothers and sisters at AMR the iron fist of the International determines what members at AMR get paid, and they are giving AMR labor costs that put SWA at a disadvantage.

Should the TWU members at SWA trust the International?
The TWU represents workers at SWA and AMR.

AMR makes up more than 50% of the ATD.An even greater percentage of the TWU ATD is from AMR, prior to McDaniels appointment to the International wasnt the International rep for SWA a former AA employee?

The International owns the contracts at AA, not the AA locals.

International officials have entered into confidentiality agreements with AMR.

If I worked at SWA I would be concerned that the TWU is working with AMR to put SWA out of business.

It all comes down to numbers, between AA and AE, AMR makes up the majority of the TWU ATD. By representing a few workers at other carriers the TWU could be funneling information to their biggest dues supplier-AMR. The TWU already provides AMR with the most favorable contracts. Workers at AA and AE earn much less than the same workers at SWA, this puts SWA at a disadvantage.

So while SWA TWU members may enjoy a lot of autonomy under the TWU, unlike their brothers and sisters at AMR the iron fist of the International determines what members at AMR get paid, and they are giving AMR labor costs that put SWA at a disadvantage.

Here we go the propoganda is already starting. TWU 555 has an election coming up in june on wheather to extend our current contract or not. Now when our current contract was ratified we were only above America West as far as wages go. After 9/11 is when all the legacy carriers started making their hard working employees take concessions while the executives still received their bonuses, then we became the top salried airline. I agree that our wages are on the high side but on the same token our executives are making sure we stay profitable, and we still are thank god. And just for the record we all understand AMR's influence on TWU but to say we are funneling information to AMR is utterly ridiculous. We all are brothers and sisters in the same union. You need to come up with something better if you are trying to create dissention amongst our ranks!!! :down:

And just for the record we all understand AMR's influence on TWU but to say we are funneling information to AMR is utterly ridiculous. We all are brothers and sisters in the same union. You need to come up with something better if you are trying to create dissention amongst our ranks!!! :down:

What he said!! :up:

TWU's performance with the flight attendant negotiation speaks for itself, ie: they supported the flight attendants, and the wishes of the LOCAL's negotiating committee.

The folks the flight attendants worked with comported themselves professionally, and your insinuation is insulting to all professional Union members, not to mention against the law. <_<

IMHO

What he said!! :up:

TWU's performance with the flight attendant negotiation speaks for itself, ie: they supported the flight attendants, and the wishes of the LOCAL's negotiating committee.

The folks the flight attendants worked with comported themselves professionally, and your insinuation is insulting to all professional Union members, not to mention against the law. <_<

IMHO
SouthWest mechs. make much more than AA's mechs. and the reasons why are obvious to some ie. ( no overhaul ) but to others its just simply in bed negotiating between AA and the twu international but to conjecture an idea is not illegal in this country and thats all that was done here.

I am curious though if there are any SW members at the international level?
If there are do they receive double salaries like some members do?
What I mean is do they continue to receive a salary from their employer while their on leave of absence as well as drawing a check from the international union?

TWU at WN has the best Fleet Service Contract in the industry! Extend Extend Extend!
Johnny,
Dont mean this as any kind of slam but are you on crack?

You have two rampers working the same gate, one works there for 15 years the other for 8 months. The senior agent is making approximately $24.00/hr while the other is only making $8.75/hr. What's wrong with this picture? Have you ever tried raising a family on $8.75 an hour?

Sure the senior agent has paid his/her dues and deserves to make more money but $24.00/hr to throw bags... come on lets be realistic.

Lets talk about overtime.
The senior agent is offered the OT first which I might add cost's the company more $$$ but who do they mando first? The junior agent but at $8.75/hr the junior agent has no choice but to work all the ot he/she can work. Ever work an 80 hour week at someplace like LAS or PHX in the summer time? I have... its not fun.

IMO the TWU is the weakest lamest union on the property at Southwest but dont worry John IMO you'll get your extension.

Johnny,
Dont mean this as any kind of slam but are you on crack?

You have two rampers working the same gate, one works there for 15 years the other for 8 months. The senior agent is making approximately $24.00/hr while the other is only making $8.75/hr. What's wrong with this picture? Have you ever tried raising a family on $8.75 an hour?

Sure the senior agent has paid his/her dues and deserves to make more money but $24.00/hr to throw bags... come on lets be realistic.

Lets talk about overtime.
The senior agent is offered the OT first which I might add cost's the company more $$$ but who do they mando first? The junior agent but at $8.75/hr the junior agent has no choice but to work all the ot he/she can work. Ever work an 80 hour week at someplace like LAS or PHX in the summer time? I have... its not fun.

IMO the TWU is the weakest lamest union on the property at Southwest but dont worry John IMO you'll get your extension.

Tug,
I mean no disrespect from my following statements.

1. When we were all hired we knew what the deal was. Low pay long hours. Your issues with overtime, I understand during the long hot days. Our membership ratfied the contract. If it is a concern might I recommend you get involved with the union at your station and express your concerns.

2. When our contract was ratified we were not the highest paid in the industry. I believe UA was with a top out in 5 years. The only reason this has changed is because 9/11 changed our undustry as a whole.

3. TWU strengths are as strong as your station union reps. LAS has the strongest union membership. Our last elections we had over 150 ballots cast with 340 agents. To use PHX as an example they had less than 20 ballots cast with 300 agents. We need to unify our membership not divide it with another set of elections coming up in June.

4. The contract elections are usually dictated by the senior Texas stations. Food for thought; If 3 mega stations, LAS, PHX, & MDW for example all got on the same page we could easily sway the vote.

3. TWU strengths are as strong as your station union reps. LAS has the strongest union membership. Our last elections we had over 150 ballots cast with 340 agents. To use PHX as an example they had less than 20 ballots cast with 300 agents. We need to unify our membership not divide it with another set of elections coming up in June.

The "strongest" station had a turnout of less than 50%?! :blink:

Here we go the propoganda is already starting. TWU 555 has an election coming up in june on wheather to extend our current contract or not. Now when our current contract was ratified we were only above America West as far as wages go. After 9/11 is when all the legacy carriers started making their hard working employees take concessions while the executives still received their bonuses, then we became the top salried airline. I agree that our wages are on the high side but on the same token our executives are making sure we stay profitable, and we still are thank god. And just for the record we all understand AMR's influence on TWU but to say we are funneling information to AMR is utterly ridiculous. We all are brothers and sisters in the same union. You need to come up with something better if you are trying to create dissention amongst our ranks!!! :down:

Create dissent? I have no reason to create dissent between members At SWA. I admire your company. However if I can create dissent between the TWU membership and the crooks and decievers at the top of the TWU International by sharing what I've learned I will. Isnt whether or not the information is truthful more important than guessing on the motive?

Are you aware that Jim Little was in AA management?

He testified to it under oath in a court of law(actually it was under deposition for a lawsuit but his testimony falls under the same criteria as testifying in court in that if he lied he could face purjury charges).

If you wold like a copy send me your e-mail address and I will scan and forward it to you. It has gotten back to me that Little is running around denying that he was ever in management. But he is the one who admitted it, he was in "Budgets and costs" at American Airlines.

What better place could AMR have one of their own than as the President of the TWU?

His management past is not as important as the fact that he has kept it hidden and his keeping it hidden reveals a charecter flaw. If he had come out, back when he was preaching about his "union roots from Scotland", and admitted that just prior to becoming a Union officer he had spent several years in management, and saw it was not what he had wanted to be, that would have been a different story, but instead he hid it. Why did he hide it? Perhaps because its not really in his past? Perhaps he is still working in behalf of the stockholders of AMR by insuring that they get the best labor rates in the industry?

So whatever you share with Jim Little you are sharing with someone who came from AA management and remains on the AMR payroll. His second pension will come from AMR, not SWA, so which airline do you think Jim Little has more of a stake in?

He has a pension that is tied to AMR. A pension that continues to accrue at AMR as if he was still working as a dispatcher(thats in addition to the very generous TWU International pension).

More than 50% of the ATD is from AMR.

All the political support he needs from the ATD comes from AMR where he owns the contracts and has the ability to remove any opposition, which he has done in the past.The AMR system was designed to be fractured an weak with unelected International appointees at the helm. Attempts have been made to correct things but the International has been able to subdue them through payoffs and penalties, simply wearing their opponents down.By keeping the membership at AA divided between 21 Locals they keep them weak.

SWA may be a nice little supplimental dues for his ATD but if the choice comes between doing what is good for SWA and AMR where do you think his loyalties will lie?

How many International reps come from SWA and what positions of power do they hold? How many sit on the IAC? The IEC?

Who is more competant Gary Yingst or Thom McDaniels?

I've met both, McDaniels is by far more of a creative intelligent leader than Yingst but Yingst was moved into the top spot of the ATD. Why is that? Little came from one of the smallest Locals in the AMR system yet he became ATD Director. Yingst is from AA and McDaniels is from SWA. Yignst has no leadership abilities and will do whatever Little dictates, McDaniels on the other hand has a record of doing what is right for his members.

I might also remind you that the disaster we have seen at the legacy carriers was led by the TWU at AA where Jim Little cancelled the membership vote on an amended contract and granted AA deeper concessions than any other carrier, even those who obtained concessions through bankruptcy. The TWU contract that Little put in place without membership ratification put AA mechanics pay around 30% less than SWA mechanics pay. In fact after the TWU industry leading concessions at AA the bankrupt carriers had to go back to their workers a second or third time in order to try and get what the TWU gave AA outside of BK in one fell swoop. Jim Little in turn got himself an 8% increase in pay for signing away 25% of AA workers pay plus he retained the $3.1 million a year that AA pays the TWU. In fact Jim Little has seen his pay rise by over 70% since AA workers took their paycut.

If Thom McDaniels did that over at SWA you guys could remove him, at AA they can not remove Jim Little.

Ask McDaniels about how the International reacted to his Locals resolution to have recall of International officers put back into the TWU Constitution in 2001.

The fact is that the TWU/ATD is AMR. The ATD will remain in Dallas even if SWA moves their corporate HQ to Arizona because thats where AAs HQ is.

The TWU ATD keeps an iron fist on AMR workers, insuring that AMR gets the best labor rates in the industry, they could care less about what you do over at SWA or what happens to you. At AMR the International owns the contracts. They set you guys up completly different than those in the AMR system, sure you have a lot more autonomy than those in the AMR system but havent you ever wondered why that was? If the destruction of SWA would result in an expansion at AMR Jim Little and the ATD would only become more powerful as far as retaining their six figure salaries and positions within the TWU. Do you really think that Jim Little cares about you guys? Why would Little promote the unimaginitive, incompetant Gary Yingst into the top position in the ATD and not promote McDaniels who (despite the fact that he professes loyalty to the International)is a much more capable leader?

He has a pension that is tied to AMR. A pension that continues to accrue at AMR as if he was still working as a dispatcher(thats in addition to the very generous TWU International pension).

This may just a hunch, but I take it you don't care much for Jim Little... ;)

As far as his being an AA dispatcher, yes, he was at one point, but didn't he later become a MOD in AA's dispatch office? Are the MODs considered management over there, as their very title would suggest?

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a particularly big fan of his, especially after Continental's dispatchers became members of the same local as AA's dispatchers. A Continental dispatcher, Mike Nadon, got axed (politically-motivated), and the representation he received in protecting his job was something less than impressive, and Mike did not prevail in the end.

I agree there is much room for improvement on ballots cast. But yes LAS is union through and through.
Ramper,
You and I go back a long way and I respect your opinion very much but when it comes to the TWU Im sorry, but it's a Union Im not very fond of.

Now that were talking about OT how is that mo-fo? I havent talked to him in a month of Sundays. Do me a favor and tell him Da... er uh tug_slug said hello :)

Ramper,
You and I go back a long way and I respect your opinion very much but when it comes to the TWU Im sorry, but it's a Union Im not very fond of.

Now that were talking about OT how is that mo-fo? I havent talked to him in a month of Sundays. Do me a favor and tell him Da... er uh tug_slug said hello :)

OT was promoted to supervisor a few months back. I will tell him you said hello. By the way I respect your opinion on TWU but its what we have to work with, if you know what I mean.

Latest posts