Checking it Out

Veteran
Apr 3, 2003
Membership Outreach- Follow-up - Wednesday, July 07, 2004 at 17:22
MEMORANDUM

TO: AA Local Presidents and Executive Boards

RE: Member Outreach Plan – Upcoming Survey and Focus Groups

DATE: July 2, 2004

On June 23, I sent you a memorandum entitled “Changes to Strengthen the TWU Air Transport Division.†It stated my commitment to reach out to the AA local leaders and members to get ideas on how to change and strengthen the union. This follow-up memorandum provides details on our outreach plan. I ask each of the Local Presidents to assist with the implementation of this plan so that we can obtain greater input from our members and successfully chart a course for our future.

I have asked the AFL-CIO and Abernathy Associates to assist the ATD with developing our Membership Outreach Program. They bring outside expertise and objectivity to this process. Simply put, their job is to help us identify direction and changes for the ATD by listening and drawing out ideas from our members.

The following is a preliminary description of the Membership Outreach Plan that the AFL-CIO and Abernathy Associates have prepared for the ATD. Our goal is to implement this plan and report back results to the Presidents Council Meeting in mid-August. Our plan focuses on four areas that we have been talking about for the past year:

· Communications

· Bargaining procedures

· Structure

· Administrative practices

Membership Outreach Plan

Membership outreach will be conducted using two approaches: A survey that will be distributed to every member; and focus group meetings that will be held with members at eight AA Locals. Each of these approaches is described below.

Membership Survey

The survey will be designed to solicit member opinions and attitudes as they relate to the four key areas described above. The survey will be mailed to every member’s home with a postage paid return envelope. Surveys will also be distributed on the shop floor and will be available on the ATD web site. All surveys will be coded to guard against any attempts by individuals to skew the results.

The advantage of the survey is that it provides us with a quantitative measure of members’ opinions on broad issues. If we can encourage a significant portion of members to complete the survey, we will be able to obtain an accurate sense of what they are thinking on key issues. The disadvantage of the survey is it is a one-way process – it does not allow for give and take discussion and it is not the best instrument for exploring issues in-depth.

When the survey is prepared, I will send you an advanced copy.

Focus Group Discussions

By conducting focus groups, we will attempt to obtain the more qualitative information that is impossible to learn from a survey. We plan to meet with small groups of members at four line stations, three bases, and one Title II Local. At each location, we plan to have three meetings with 10 workers. Participants will be randomly selected.

The AFL-CIO and Abernathy Associates will facilitate the focus groups. They will not release the names of the individuals participating in the focus groups and will not attribute any information gathered in the focus groups to any individual.

The focus groups will all have the same format. A facilitator will open up each meeting with an icebreaker exercise to get people talking. Individuals in each group will then be asked to give their opinions on how the TWU can improve communications; bargaining procedures; change its structure to better serve members; and improve administrative practices.

A wealth of information will be obtained through these discussions. In order to keep track of all of the suggestions and ideas that members raise, the facilitators will make an audio recording of each session. At the outset of the meeting, participants will be informed that the session is being recorded and will be able to opt-out of participating. While the information gathered during the sessions will be used to produce a report to the ATD, the actual tapes will be kept confidential and no statements made during the sessions will be attributed to any individual.

I. Base Meetings

We have organizing focus groups sessions at the upcoming membership meetings at all three bases. The proposed schedule for these meetings is:

Tulsa – 7/12
MCI – 7/14
AFW – 7/21

At the meeting, we would divide into groups of 10-20 members, and we would have facilitators guide discussion through a strategic planning exercise. The objective of these meetings will be to have the initiative completed by our August 19, 2004 joint meeting.

II. Line Station Meetings

Focus group/strategic planning session would be organized in Miami, Chicago, New York and DFW. During the week of July 5, we would contact you on the logistics. As part of this effort, we would also offer you (our Local Presidents) the opportunity to submit suggestions on questions that we could incorporate in our focus group/strategic planning sessions. Tentative dates for conducting these meetings would be:

Miami 7/19-20
New York 7/26-27
DFW 8/3-4
Chicago 8/12-13

Many have been concerned about the lack of understanding the International has and the structure as such, Many of us have been pushing for this type of involvement for many years. Here is our opportunity to put forth some constructive concerns.

I remember years ago a plan was presented and not acted on because of the politics involved and in fact recently, the line stations held meetings to have some structural changes. I believe this is an opportunity to give input, I have talked with the people involved and they are dedicated to achieve a positive outcome.

This is not a union vs. association issue, Jim little is sincere about this issue and we have had discussions in the past. I hope you will take the time to be constructive in your opinions and if you would like, I will be more than happy to present the discussion on this thread to the Abernathy group.

I. Base Meetings

We have organizing focus groups sessions at the upcoming membership meetings at all three bases. The proposed schedule for these meetings is:

Tulsa – 7/12
MCI – 7/14
AFW – 7/21

I have not seen advance notice concerning this on the union bulliten boards?

The shop stewards meetings are conducted on the second monday of the month, the plan will be discussed at these meetings, Remember everyone is allowed to attend and feel free to participate. More details will be made available thruout the day.

I do not wish to get into the qualifications or if they can do the job, I have listened to them and they have been at several functions giving advice. I feel confident in their ability and hope you will attend Monday to ask these questions! As for the other boards, they are one sided and extremely censored.

Hey Rusty the company or the TWU whats the difference. They sit there with out saying a word while AA try's to tell the members we have to adopt a Japanese attitude at work to compete TWU has already given up on taking care of the members and focused solely on taking care of them selves. Hey Kevin when I see Sonny Hall, Jim Little and everyone at the international replaced a constitution just for the airline mechanics adopted by the airlines mechanics. Then I will believe TWU has changed for the better until than Abernathy Associates or Overland Group whats the difference. NO VOTE :angry: NO PEACE!!!!

Hey Kevin did AA help Little pick the Abernathy Associates. It sure makes me fill good knowing the people on the 514 E Board are happy with them.

Checking it Out said:
I do not wish to get into the qualifications or if they can do the job,
I can understand why you do not wish to get into a disscusion on their qualifications but, using union busting associates is most certainly going to get some attention.

The Abernathy System is an innovative alternative to the traditional performance management and compensation system. The system is based upon the well-established principles of applied behavioral psychology.

Dr. Abernathy's books have been used by hundreds of companies both nationally and internationally to gain insight on the performance measurement and incentive pay world.

He has also led seminars for the executives of over 2,000 companies on the design of performance improvement systems. Dr. Abernathy has published dozens of articles on performance pay and his work has been cited in the Wall Street Journal, Business Month, Washington Post, U.S. News and World Reports, and others. Dr. Abernathy is the author of Managing Without Supervising: Creating an Organization-Wide Performance System and The Sin of Wages. In 1981, he founded Abernathy & Associates whose exclusive business is designing and managing performance measurement and incentive pay systems. Abernathy & Associates' clients include financial, manufacturing, distribution, retail, hospitality, health care, and education.

Our mission is to help organizations evaluate their current performance levels, establish their organization's goals, and develop a system that will allow them to maximize employee performances, driving overall company profitability. We are committed to helping organizations identify the key behaviors which employees can improve while giving them a clear understanding of their job functions and how their results relate to the company's bottom line."

Bill Abernathy, Ph.D.

Founder & President

The focus groups are scheduled for later in the month with the membership, Emily will be present Monday to answer any questions or concerns you may have. She also works with Ray Abernathy who is not the same person you are referring to. I hear your concerns in the similarities of names and I fell this will be answered Monday.

I would like to see some structural changes on how the International officers are elected and would like them to attend local membership meetings to discuss their abilities prior to the conventions. Any other suggestions?

I also would like to see the International Reps inform us when they are coming to town and have it posted prior to allow time for the membership. I have seen and heard many times that they come to town and seem to be short of time to visit. Do we need more International Reps? Or?

Checking it Out said:
I would like to see some structural changes on how the International officers are elected and would like them to attend local membership meetings to discuss their abilities prior to the conventions. Any other suggestions?
Yeah I have a suggestion.

We need to obtain Craft Union representation instead of Industrial Union and we should belong in a Union of Mechanic and Related only.

We need to get out of the AFL-CIO and into an independent organization that does not fund liberal agendas that alienate many members.

Good Luck!

Gee let's have a focus group! What a bunch of feel good, candy ass, touchy-feely new age crap! Why is it not surprising that the TWU uses the same firm the company used, to justify the 2003 sell out. Now the TWU is going to use union busting tactics from a union busting firm on it's own mebers. Just when you think the TWU can't stoop any lower... :down: :down: :down: :down:

TWU, the best union money can buy! :down: