More Little Lies

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
TO: All AA Locals and Members

RE: Changes to Strengthen the TWU Air Transport Division

DATE: June 22, 2004

On June 17, following a decision by a National Mediation Board (NMB) investigator, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) conceded that it will not get an election at American Airlines due to insufficient cards. While the NMB decision can be appealed, it appears that AMFA has failed in its yearlong attempt to raid the TWU.

As I stated last week, we are very proud of our members who supported TWU, and we extend our hand to those who supported AMFA. It is time for all of us to come together and build a strong union that will fight for our future.

The challenges over the past year have helped us to identify changes and improvements that are needed to strengthen the TWU. Our members have sent us a clear message that the International and the Locals need to communicate more effectively; we need to listen more to the membership; and we need to involve every member in fighting for our future.

With members more informed and involved, we will do a better job of tackling the challenges that we face every day. By working together, we can continue to be successful at protecting jobs, keeping our work in-house, and developing a contract campaign for the 2006 re-opener. We are also entering a critical election season and we all must get involved in electing political leaders who will represent the interests of our members and all working families.

In the coming weeks, the TWU will be reaching out to local leaders and members to get your ideas on how we can strengthen our union. Specific components to these plans include but are not limited to:

In July, we will begin implementing a membership outreach program aimed at getting members ideas and suggestions on changes that we need to make. There will be several components to this outreach program. We will conduct surveys, polling and focus groups directly with members. I would ask all AA local unions to work with our staff and the AFL-CIO in helping to implement this outreach program.

We are in the process of exploring structural and administrative changes in the ATD. Last year, a committee of AA local presidents began examining several proposals for changing our structure. That committee was unable to reach a consensus on changes that needed to be implemented. To follow up on this process, on August 19, 2004, I have called a meeting with all AA local union officers to work toward building a consensus on these structural and administrative issues.

We plan to continue working with the AFL-CIO to expand our membership communications program. We recognize that we have a responsibility to every member to provide you with information on the important issues that affect

June 22, 2004

Page 2

American Airlines and the industry. I am making a commitment to you to continue and expand this communications program.

As part of all the efforts described above, I pledge to give particular attention to our brothers and sisters who work at the line stations. I believe we have made important progress with expanding communications at the overhaul bases. It is time to extend these efforts to the line stations. I look forward to working with the local presidents at the line stations to make this program a success.

I also want to emphasize my commitment to continuing our fight to protect our members’ jobs in Kansas City and to try to restore work in St. Louis. Over the past year, we have had some important victories – such as keeping MCI open and getting AA management to commit to a strategy to save the base. But we have much more work to do. We must continue our efforts to get the company to implement a long-term plan to secure the futures of all our members.

To meet the challenges that we face at American Airlines and throughout our industry, we need every member’s participation and support. We must unify our membership so that we are fighting together – not fighting against each other.

Sincerely and fraternally,

James C. Little

International Administrative Vice President

Director Air Transport Division

JCL:cjw opeiu-153 afl-cio

C: IAC

ATD staff assigned

Local Presidents and Officers 501-590

Basically this is the same thing Little has been promising since he came to office. When called upon as to why nothing happened you got the old "I would have but I dont have a budget, Sonny wont give me one". Then later on when someone criticized the fact that we dont even have a budget he would say "I dont want a budget, then I'm limited, this way I can ask Sonny for whatever I need".

Little is pure salesman.
Some would say "Give him a chance". The fact is we have given him several, and it cost us 17.5%, a weeks vacation, the cap on Medical, 7 sick days, half pay for the first two sick days, holidays, doubletime and scores of other concessions. Every single AA/TWU member, from the most senior on down is set to lose hundreds of thousands of dollars thanks to Jim Little.

No more chances Jim. We dont want to communicate more with you, we want to get rid of you. Since we cant get rid of you we will get rid of the TWU. AMFA and the AGW now!

twuer said:
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF BOB!!!!!!!
I believe Bob is speaking for himself, and he also speaks the truth.

If Little was not removing past letters and newsletters that prove this and other damaging information from the ATD website, it would be easily proven.

I think I have a copy the "ATD Newsletter" that I believe only TWO issues were printed where he promised communications and restructuring. This was when Steve Horton was running the website for the TWU.

Steve is now an AMFA supporter.

I will try to locate my ATD newsletter with Jim Little's previous BS that matches this one. I am pretty sure it was included in the documents I submitted in the discovery phase of Oklahoma 99-CV-0632 as proof the TWU was distributing on the base in the work areas.

I guess little still does not understand that the majority of the twu are hostages, that no longer want to hear his promises, or anything he has to say. It will always be nothing but lies. AMFA has the cards to call an election, but like previously happened at UAL and NWA, the nmb, aa, and the twu have worked together to commit fraud. Inflate the voter list to stop a vote at all costs. You think you won, but you just made us more resolute to see the twu out.

Mr. little states that this was an AMFA raid. Yet it was his own very disatisfied, unhappy twu members that, after years of disregard, unaccountable mistreatment, and failures, we have sought change the only way possible. To seek AMFA and oust the twu. AMFA did not come to us, we went to them. There is nothing the twu can do now that can change this anguish and bitterness. We have had far more than we can take, and we will take no more. We don't want to shake hands, we don't want a twu "outreach program" or its surveys. We don't want any of the more of the shell game the twu International plays with our careers. No more twu promises, its over. The twu will not unite the mechanic craft and class.... ever, it just can't be done by this despicable organization. We hate you and this union, and the hate runs very deep.

So Mr. little, you may have stopped this vote, but you will not stop this movement. We are coming at you again, and there is nothing you can do to stop us.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

Hackman said:
I guess little still does not understand that the majority of the twu are hostages, that no longer want to hear his promises, or anything he has to say. It will always be nothing but lies. AMFA has the cards to call an election, but like previously happened at UAL and NWA, the nmb, aa, and the twu have worked together to commit fraud. Inflate the voter list to stop a vote at all costs. You think you won, but you just made us more resolute to see the twu out.

Mr. little states that this was an AMFA raid. Yet it was his own very disatisfied, unhappy twu members that, after years of disregard, unaccountable mistreatment, and failures, we have sought change the only way possible. To seek AMFA and oust the twu. AMFA did not come to us, we went to them. There is nothing the twu can do now that can change this anguish and bitterness. We have had far more than we can take, and we will take no more. We don't want to shake hands, we don't want a twu "outreach program" or its surveys. We don't want any of the more of the shell game the twu International plays with our careers. No more twu promises, its over. The twu will not unite the mechanic craft and class.... ever, it just can't be done by this despicable organization. We hate you and this union, and the hate runs very deep.

So Mr. little, you may have stopped this vote, but you will not stop this movement. We are coming at you again, and there is nothing you can do to stop us.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!
I believe there will be NO PEACE regardless of wether there is a vote or not it is clear that there are two sides at AA that are probably never going to completly come together no matter what Union is in place, maybe unity can never occur at AA and if not I have to wonder how we could ever get a decent contract when we are split in half, a strike is our only power as laborers if we go on strike will we all go or only half :unsure: the TWU half or the AMFA half if we don't all go then the company wins and nobody else, If we don't unite this is something to be concerned about, and right now it appears that UNITY between us Mechanics will never be achieved, one could hope I guess that most Mechanics are pro AMFA and that the pro TWU people are mostly the other work groups if that were the case and AMFA got in at AA the Majority of Mechanics would be United under AMFA and the Majority of the other work groups would be united under the TWU :unsure:
of course that only works if that is how the members are devided.

Actually, there is more documented proof that could lead to a vote now.

Little has NOT stopped anything yet.

Either way, I agree, this isn't over by a long shot, and Little has ZERO credibility with the majority of licensed mechanics at AA, and a very huge percentage of line mechanics.

The TWU will never unite us without a vote. And they just refuse to hear this fact.

I for one believe that a majority rule balloting by the NMB would put the division to rest.

Dave Wrote;

Dave the documents you have found is this new? Is Amfa allowed to submit additional evidence on the appeal process or can you use only the documents previously submitted? Sounds interesting can you expand on this subject?

Checking it Out said:
Dave Wrote;

Dave the documents you have found is this new? Is Amfa allowed to submit additional evidence on the appeal process or can you use only the documents previously submitted? Sounds interesting can you expand on this subject?
Actually if we could use the cards that were turned in late, we could have our election. I actually had a gentleman tell me he was getting ready to sign his AMFA card. I told him we were way past that stage of the game. Maybe he will be the 1st card turned in for the next drive if need be.
Keep the Faith..........AMFA NOW!!!!!!!!

I've seen Koziatek serve up Orlando...while offering the same platitudes.

I've seen Sonny Hall serve up Koziatek...while offering the same platitudes.

I've seen the fight for Separation...while offering the same platitudes.

I've seen the International stuff Separation...while offering the same platitudes.

With apologies to Buffett...

Changes in platitude, changes in attitude;
Everything remains quite the same.
For all of your running and all of your gumming;
If we stay with this Union, we must be insane.

twuer said:
SPEAK FOR YOURSELF BOB!!!!!!!
I just did. I take it you dont agree? I bet a lot more agree than disagree. Maybe you just dont want to admit it but you know its true.

Sad but the TWU is using the same old "communications" tactic that the company uses. "We didnt hear you then, but we will now". "we are going to improve communications". The committee didnt work out too well did it? Let me guess, the line guys on one side and Sonnys other picks on the other.

Raptor said:
I believe there will be NO PEACE regardless of wether there is a vote or not it is clear that there are two sides at AA that are probably never going to completly come together no matter what Union is in place, maybe unity can never occur at AA and if not I have to wonder how we could ever get a decent contract when we are split in half, a strike is our only power as laborers if we go on strike will we all go or only half :unsure: the TWU half or the AMFA half if we don't all go then the company wins and nobody else, If we don't unite this is something to be concerned about, and right now it appears that UNITY between us Mechanics will never be achieved, one could hope I guess that most Mechanics are pro AMFA and that the pro TWU people are mostly the other work groups if that were the case and AMFA got in at AA the Majority of Mechanics would be United under AMFA and the Majority of the other work groups would be united under the TWU :unsure:
Raptor,

Let me put it another way. You go to a pricey restaurant, the hostess is rude to you, like she's doing you a favor by acknowledging your presence. She puts you in the smoking section when you wanted non-smoking, and you cannot get another table after waiting an hour for this one. The waiter comes to you for your order, you request a fillet, medium rare. An hour later he serves you, and the fillet is very overcooked and dry, and while your telling him you want another, he walks away ignoring you. Too busy.
He returns 30 minutes later and tells you that the fillet you've got, is the only one your getting, like it or not. Its late, your mad, and very hungry, so you choke it down. He drops you a guest check for $140, and smugly walks away again. Ready to spit nails, your complaints to the manager go no where, but he invites you back again, and promises a much better experience next time. Of course, you still have to pay.

Imagine if you will, this is your 4th or 5th time at this joint. Everytime, its the same crap. Very poor service, its exspensive, the food is horrible, and the staff could care less.

.....But you keep going back, even though there are other places you could go.

Does this make sense???? To me and most people I know, Its the first and last time I set foot in the place!!!!! Just give 'em one more chance? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Now tell me, why would you keep going back to the twu??? After twenty years of concessions, and the same old lies!!!! You want another helping of the twu???? Your paying for a service your not ever going to recieve.

Yep, I just love the pain!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

Could I have some more SRP's please. You can cut my pay some more as long as you give me super solid lay of protection. The solid lay off protection diden't work well. Maybe you could get me a good pay raise for just 1.5 years you can take it back plus some after that. I think a side order of that defined benefit pension like TWA's sounds good. Thanks twscrew but your time is up. YOUR FIRED!!!

Hackman said:
Raptor,

Let me put it another way. You go to a pricey restaurant, the hostess is rude to you, like she's doing you a favor by acknowledging your presence. She puts you in the smoking section when you wanted non-smoking, and you cannot get another table after waiting an hour for this one. The waiter comes to you for your order, you request a fillet, medium rare. An hour later he serves you, and the fillet is very overcooked and dry, and while your telling him you want another, he walks away ignoring you. Too busy.
He returns 30 minutes later and tells you that the fillet you've got, is the only one your getting, like it or not. Its late, your mad, and very hungry, so you choke it down. He drops you a guest check for $140, and smugly walks away again. Ready to spit nails, your complaints to the manager go no where, but he invites you back again, and promises a much better experience next time. Of course, you still have to pay.

Imagine if you will, this is your 4th or 5th time at this joint. Everytime, its the same crap. Very poor service, its exspensive, the food is horrible, and the staff could care less.

.....But you keep going back, even though there are other places you could go.

Does this make sense???? To me and most people I know, Its the first and last time I set foot in the place!!!!! Just give 'em one more chance? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Now tell me, why would you keep going back to the twu??? After twenty years of concessions, and the same old lies!!!! You want another helping of the twu???? Your paying for a service your not ever going to recieve.

Yep, I just love the pain!!!!

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!
I get your point and I do understand, trust me, after over 17 years it is very difficult to expect very much from the TWU, I will say though that I am not very greedy not that greed is a bad thing it's not ;) I just don't NEED to have the best contract in the Industry to be happy that is why there were some of the TWU contracts that did not bother me to much, I was not real crazy about any of them except the 2001 contract, but I did not dislike them enough to want to go through all the hassle of changing Unions, so for me the TWU restraunt was not quite as bad as you described at least not until this last meal which was as you described and maybe a little worse :(
We all have a different expectation from the Union the TWU supporters obviously think that the TWU restraunt is serving good food and service, as I said I am not satisfied with the service especially right now but changing restraunts ( I mean Unions ) ;) is a big deal AMFA has been trying to get in at AA for 15 years, I use to work with Scott Davies when he got fired years ago for promoting AMFA and they are still not hear, Tulsa employee's are very apathetic and it takes alot to motivate them, I just have a feeling that next year will not be as productive as this year cards wise, if AMFA gets in I think that will be great it would be even better if we did not have to drag all the other work groups with us as that is one of the reasons many of us wanted out of the TWU in the first place, some guys like me are just tired of the whole Aviation business and are starting to not care about anything but retirement and getting OUT of this dying business, I gave all I had to the AMFA drive last year just to be screwed by the NMB, now all I want to do is retire and get OUT of Aviation forever 14 years left and I will forget I ever worked in Aviation or at AA :up:
I thought us coming together would be a good thing but the truth is I don't really care what happens, now I just want out of Aviation <_< as soon as possible.

Good luck on your battle I guess someone has got to do it but not me this time ;)
Let me give you a tip hackman get rid of Dave as a lead organizer and you will get more cards ( did I just say that out loud ) :shock: Yikes

Raptor said:
Raptor;
NO true(er) words were ever spoken(about the "division's" between the union members of this airline.

It's ALL in the "geography", of this company.

With the "rare" exception of the "few" AMFA "hardliners" in OKLA, the majority of the AMT's, south of the "mason dixon line", ran "true to form" (West coast members, are IMHO, more in tune with there brothers and sisters, NORTH of the "MDL")

It's the same #### with the FSC's. DFW has "kowtowed" to the international/company on numerous occasions, over the years.

When one really thinks about it, it's not in the DNA of members ( who were born and raised in states that have "right to work laws", and vote "RED"), to rise up and FIGHT, the dear ol' company !!!!!!!!!!

AND finally, if there are ANY AA union members, who still were'nt 100% sure, why AA relocated company+ union HDQ's, from NY, to TX. and OK., let the outcome of the most recent AMFA drive, serve as an example.

NH/BB's

Latest posts