UAL DC-6 Memorabilia Rebuild

MOC Pease

Jan 3, 2009
My dad did 40 some-odd years at the UAL MOC - paint and chair shops. When he passed, I kept a static model DC-6 that was his property and was an employee gift when United took delivery of their 6's back in the day.

The model is in great mechanical shape but needs four prop assemblies replaced and the livery is in really poor shape - it's been scratched and moisture seems to have taken its toll on the original decals - I think I've got lines on props all over but I'm darned if I can find a useable decal set for this vintage.

I've done enough modeling that I can handle basic stuff, but not so good that I have yet decided to do the "print my own"decal thing that seems like an option.

Anyway - I'm looking all over for someone that might have a 1/72nd scale decal set for a UAL DC-6. Ideally, I'd like to restore this back to it's original shape with the "old" dark blue paint scheme. If you aren't familiar with the difference - the "new" scheme had a white "canopy" over the fuse and the very recgonizable UNITED logo and diagonal on the rudder. The "old" scheme was dark blue strip along the fuse - no paint on the fuse canopy - and with a horizontal rudder stripe.

The "new" scheme would be a second choice if nothing else can be had.

This is a great old memtento - cast iron base with a North American map of the then current UAL route(s) . . I bet some of the old-time UAL employees may even have one . . but this A/C needs a bit of an overhaul and a new paint job !

All four of the prop assemblies have been busted at some point or another and the original livery was a combination of hand paint (around the cockpit windows) and water-slide decals (along the fuse.) Anyway thought I might find a UAL fan out there someplace that would be willing to part with an unbuilt kit or decal set if you've got it. I am perfectly glad to pay you a fair price for anything that you are willing to part with.

Please email me directly if you have anything you are willing to sell - [email protected]

Latest posts