United Already Calling Back!

cltflyguy

May 13, 2003
Just saw on the news this morning that united is calling back 600 flight attendants in march and 400 in april due to more flying and passenger demand. Thats awesome!!!! Northwest has done some calling back of flight attendants also. Now lets see.....We (US) called back how many jan 15th!!! ooooooooooooh thats right.....we layed off 500 more!! :down: Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

While this is good news for UAL folk, they have more work to do. Couple the work they have to do with the announcement that Gov. Schwarzenegger is close to getting Branson to startup Virgin USA in SFO, things are hardly rosey over there.

Let's worry about how we can fix our own house, and stop comparing our situation to theirs.

I think they had already called back thier equivalent of invols, and are now calling vols back. All I know is my equivalent seniority is flying over there on real, mainline planes, making a real mainline wage, while here my senoirity and much higher will probably never return, at least to whats left of our mainline. :(

Believe it or not, most airline employees hired in the late 90s and early 00s are still working at the other legacy carriers. Not everyone shrunk by 40% and chopped thier FA workforce almost in half.

I guess they arent bankrupt, dont have high labor costs, and weren't affected by 9-11... hey, wait a minute.... <_<

I'm sorry to hear about more furloughs at US. I have friends at TWA/AA with +35 years who don't believe they will ever fly again. (Iwas furloughed from TWA-years ago)
Here at United it's true we are calling back f/as. One thing though, aside from those who were still in training on 9/11/01 (they're on the recall list) I don't believe we have anybody on involuntary furlough at UA. We have/had over 5,000 on voluntary furlough. I'm one of them. Yes, it's true we have a lot of work ahead of us. But most of truly believe we will be bigger and better and able to hold our own against the LCCs of this new world.
I wish you all at US good luck.
Laura

ual is not out of the woods yet. its good that they are recalling f/a's back. but they need to slow down a little . i think that they are moving a little bit to fast. it could bite them in the a$$ in the future. i can say all this because my wife is a ual f/a and i am a u f/a . so we compare alot. she could not agree with me more.

Good one Light Years. And by the way Etops1 is this a conflict of interest. You being a UF/A and your wife a UAL F/A. Just wondering..... ;)

PineyBob said:
This is an interesting thread. Why? when your septic tank is overflowing, The sprinkler system needs repair, The grass is 2 feet tall and the lawnmower is broken would you be concerned that you neighbor just got a new gas grill.

That is what this thread reads like to me.
Piney listen to yourself. Read your own post. Why are you worried about your neighbor's new gas grill (US). Your telling everyone else to worry about their own job (airline)...worry about your own. I wish I had nothing important to do in my life than to go into other company's forum's and give my visions 10 hours a day.

PineyBob said:
Well then ask yourself this Light Years, Did I do everything I could to save the property or was I busy with envy of my Neighbor and the new gas grill?
Piney, I hope I never work for a company that is so boring that I spend my every hour commenting on the transportation that gets me to and from work. Do you post on the NYC cabbie site every time you take a cab into the city? Do you post on the hotel maid site every time you stay in a room? I go away for days at a time, return, and here you are, morning a night, posting away. I only pray my next job is not as unfullfilling as your current one must be. Best to you, but for gosh sakes, give it a rest.