United and Jet Airways to Codeshare to India

Cosmo

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
United just released this press release announcing its codesharing agreement with Jet, expected to be effective around November 1, 2008. The codeshare will be between 13 Indian cities and United's five U.S. hubs, presumably via a European hub.

So what, if anything, does this do to Air India's supposed entry into the Star Alliance? And does this make a UA/CO alliance more likely or less so given CO's current EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM nonstop flights?

United just released this press release announcing its codesharing agreement with Jet, expected to be effective around November 1, 2008. The codeshare will be between 13 Indian cities and United's five U.S. hubs, presumably via a European hub.

So what, if anything, does this do to Air India's supposed entry into the Star Alliance? And does this make a UA/CO alliance more likely or less so given CO's current EWR-DEL and EWR-BOM nonstop flights?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Logically Cosmo, I'd have to go with your "latter", meaning that UA/JET would seem counter productive to CO.

AH,..but then again Cosmo, ...Nothing surprises me in this SCREWY Industry lately !!

Air India is toast competively. They are the "Alitalia of the east". Surprising that Star would even entertain their membership. AI had horrible service.

By November this year we will also have Kingfisher Airlines from India entering the USA market. Good. They are sharp.

Seriously, do you really think Larry Kellner considered the UA/AI codeshare before walking away from Tilton et al?

Focus UAUA. Focus.

Interesting question Cosmo and although I am sure no one will reply, I would also ask why United is relying on a code share and not trying to reach one of the major sub-continent markets with a non-stop and completely bypassing London or Frankfurt.
After having been one who actually thought the opening of Terminal 5 at Heathrow was going to be a success (to show you where my ability to peer into the future lies!), I have retreated from even amatuer analysis and prognostication when it comes to the air industry, but the economic centre of gravity that is forming on the sub-continent is indisputable. Why did they not, as they did wth another market - Dubai, try to reach this directly from Chicago or Washington?

You make an excellent point about the service from the New York area (in the case you mention EWR). There is a on-going friendly rivalry between London and New York as to who has the pre-eminence in the financial markets yet that pre-eminence is being quickly leavened by India and the Emirates (also to include Shanghai). A question with no answer and a lot of "it depends," but the question now has to include Dubai and Mumbai as well. Thus we see Dubai to NY with Emirates and Mumbai with your erstwhile dance partner CO.
Granted Washington is more in the regulatory business than actual transaction market, I would think that at some time, a flight to Mumbia would be viable (but then again this is formed as a question as I do not know).

In other words, with the burgeoning market in India, how long is it going to be that these passangers will wish to undergo the rigours of stopping in Europe (and heaven forbid the nightmare that Heathrow can be!) to get to the New World? Emirates laid the ground work with the Dubai to New York flight (which United is matching from Washington), and CO seems to address the Indian market from New York (actually New Jersey if I am correct in my geography???). What is the tipping or balance point where United would have been better served to just try to reach the market without the plane change shuffle?

Ukridge predicts: There are a lot of people on the sub-continent. There will be more in the future. The economy is growing in India. It will probably continue to grow. This growth will foster air travel. Passangers will not wish to dilly around with transfers and the like. They will wish to fly from Dehli or Mumbia directly to the cities of the New World. Nothing like stating the obvious eh?

What is even more interesting than the fact that UA chose a codeshare over a flight of their own is that Jet Airways also codeshares with American Airlines!

"FORT WORTH, Texas – American Airlines, a founding member of the global oneworld® Alliance, today announced it has applied to the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) for authorization to begin codeshare cooperation with Jet Airways (India) Limited. The application proposes that codesharing operations begin on Jan. 16, 2008. "

Press Release from 11/19/2007

Granted, it is a codeshare on the other end--i.e., within India since we fly ORD-MUM(?), but a codeshare nonetheless.

Jim, AA flies ORD-DEL. The code share with Jet includes Jet flights from BRU to India and within India. Jet also code shares on AA flights within the US. The only routes not included are the transatlantic flights to and from the US and BRU.

Thanks. I knew that. Just had senior moment. I have a friend from Mumbai who keeps nagging me to call Gerard and get him to start service to MUM. I told him I would get right on that. :lol:

Thanks. I knew that. Just had senior moment. I have a friend from Mumbai who keeps nagging me to call Gerard and get him to start service to MUM. I told him I would get right on that. :lol:

Good luck with that.