United conserving cash while angering both customers and employees

that's exactly the case in my station. a few guys in their 70s and others who come to work with a cane or can't drive at night. they have enough time to continue to hide. still some shifts that are nice hiding spots. they may have 36 years but a pm shift with tuesday/wednesday off. they don't care.

these guys will never leave. never. the money would have to be astronomical for them to even consider. money the airline would never offer.

I know a few. Those are the guys that probably never flew on a flight in their career. Just kept a low profile and came to work every day, hoping they won't put in a situation where a mishap may happen and they would have to take a drug test which possibly can/will lead to a physical test which they can't pass. Personally, I could not live like that, having all of that time hiding and as soon as they retire, they drop dead about a week later. That's no way to live.

I remember during the merger a few years ago when we lost our cargo (due to Jeff and the outsourcing binge), those people were forced to come to the ramp. Within weeks, many people retired because they could not hack the ramp. It was a miserable thing to see, as many of us tried to help integrate those people who have never seen a ramp in their career. Many wound up retiring anyway, which lead to manpower shortages for years (because the geniuses figured we would be staffed, although many people were furloughed to make room). It was chaos for a time.

T5 I agree there should be some sort of buyout $$ offered with it as well.

You'll get MORE than enough people if SOME cash is offered, like everybody else has done.