United Posts May Profit

Like what air guy? I hold Glenn accontable for the truth and so far he has been quite honest. He's a fighter and that is exactly what UAL needed. Time to go on the offensive finally against all the other LCC's and legacies.

Like what? Like the article that started this forum. It contained deceiving financial information and no one has come out to correct it. Worse yet I think that confusion and references to implied profitability are used to get some public (as in tax payers) support.....

I second that... flights between any city pairs of a Chicago-Washington D.C. size should be operated on big jets. RJ's on those routes just crowd the skies and the runways, and we all know that more crowding is one more thing that O'Hare could do without. I wonder if things will get so bad at O'Hare this year, the FAA will finally put the airport under slot control.

Coolflyingfool:

The ATSB only guarantees a portion of United's financing and thus will allow the banks to lend to United at better interest rates. If the loan guarantee is denied, United will still be granted the financing, but at higher interest rates. Its very similar to VA loans on mortgages taken out by military members when purchasing a house. A VA mortgage is a loan guarantee to the bank for repayment of the loan granted to the member.

If the loan guarantee is denied, United will still be granted the financing, but at higher interest rates. Its very similar to VA loans on mortgages taken out by military members when purchasing a house. A VA mortgage is a loan guarantee to the bank for repayment of the loan granted to the member.

That is not completely correct. The way the ATSB guarantee work is backing so you can get the loan. The difference between the interest (that indeed may be lower) and what the market is lending at, has to be deposited into a separate account so there is no economic advantage by obtaining the government backing. So you wonder why then why such a big deal about the loan... well is the only source of financing that can be obtained via lobbying and not necessarily with financial logic. If after a year and a half in BK you are unable to make money it is most likely that any private funding will require further cuts and or asset sales. I think the company managemement is trying to keep the company as is (in terms of size, assets, labor agreements) but still unprofitable in the short run and LCCs taking over more and more markets in the long run. Probably the government with enough pressure will be the only source to take that risk. I am not saying things are not going to turn around, they may .... for any lender is too risky to keep things as is.

I'm glad UAL is making progress and is on the verge of making real money. Perhaps the ATSB's plan all along has been to push UAL to the point where it could make money by itself so they could then tell them you didn't need us anyway. Kind of like the first day a parent tries to teach a child to ride a bike without training wheels.
UAL: you can do it; don't expect anyone else to solve your problems and recognize there are many more obstacles ahead and you'll be a-ok. We have plenty of other ways we can spend money in this country.

WorldTraveler said:
I'm glad UAL is making progress and is on the verge of making real money. Perhaps the ATSB's plan all along has been to push UAL to the point where it could make money by itself so they could then tell them you didn't need us anyway. Kind of like the first day a parent tries to teach a child to ride a bike without training wheels.
UAL: you can do it; don't expect anyone else to solve your problems and recognize there are many more obstacles ahead and you'll be a-ok. We have plenty of other ways we can spend money in this country.
Which would mean the ATSB acting in complete defiance of the law. They were given a mandate, they are not the legislator. they were told to do a job, and nowhere in that job description were the words "destroy the union contracts and lower the pay rates"

WELL SAID BUSDRIVER!!! I'm for one waiting for the day we start recalling our pilots. Soon I hear. BK will end this year w/or w/o the ATSB loan guarantee. Thumbs up!

WELL SAID BUSDRIVER!!! I'm for one waiting for the day we start recalling our pilots. Soon I hear. BK will end this year w/or w/o the ATSB loan guarantee. Thumbs up!

Wait...hold on...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....ROFLMAO.....HAHAHAHAHAH......hey joe, you one funny guy......

Want to show some guts???? some leadership???? You and management find $750 million dollars, come up with a "real" plan for the future, save this company's ass and I'll shut up.....Sir :D