UnPaid Sick time WITH A DR''S NOTE>>

CLt , no I did not get this letter.
Can I send you my fax number?
Thx!

Bradley71 is right, under HIPPA, the Company does NOT have any right to ask what your illness is. What is really strange about this topic and how it relates to US is that right here on my desk is a letter from US Airways dated April 10, 2003, stating this very fact. We all should have gotten one. To quote Jerry Glass in his letter, he states: "The requirements under HIPPA related to protected health information create national standards and a baseline of safeguards to protect individuals'' medical records and other personal health information. While the federal standards are new, US Airways has been vigilant regarding confidential, personal information, and the company takes very seriously the importance of protecting identifiable health information." Golden, did you not get this letter? Better yet, did your super not get this letter? If not, I''ll be happy to fax it to you and you can simply lay it on your supervisors desk and draw your line in the sand.

To find out more about HIPPA and what it means, you can visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services at www.hhs.gov.

Golden the NLRB does not handle workers under the Railway Labor Act (RLA), it would be the National Mediation Board, (NMB), who has juristiction

There are "exclusions" to the HIPPA, (Patient Privacy Act) and that is "sick", LTD, OJI, and FMLA. Hell just when you need an union rep to argue the denials in Medical coverage...THAT IS NOW UNDER HIPPA and management WON'T talk to you unless you have an "authorization" signed. How convenient for management.

Senior maqnagement has a new department called "Medical Review" Department. Their premise and focus "company lost time".

They recently hired a physician and two RNs to reveiw FMLA, sick, Medical leaves etc....

Coming down hard on emplyees who are unable to come to work and are ill. In addition, the new sick policies are making it very difficult to access you "banked sick time" that you have accrued over the years for the purpose of illness, to make you "whole" in your pay for the month.

THAT IS WHY WE ARE PICKETING TOMORROW!

We have post cards for the pax to send in and flyers to hand out. Media will be all over the place.

When it comes to "employee relations", we have a ccompany that has a management team that is scrapping the "bottom of the barrel".

Pitbull,

Like that- We have a company that is not Management friendly.

I was only off work 2 measley days.

I'm talking to my union rep tonite..For what good it will do.

Have not heard from the stat mgr nor the supervisor. But, I really did not expect to.

Thank God in 99 I used all my sick time- I was hospitlized for surgery-off 3 months..

I have 4 or 5 days left and I dont abuse sick time-last time I called in was end of last Aug.

Our new hires(2 of them) were trng on the ramp today.

Well they got an earfull from me as I did not sugar coat this company and how rotten they treat the employees..

One jibbered,and the other just listened.
I was fuming when I walked inside.It does that to me you know.

I'm getting out (if I last) in 5 yrs.
I'll never last till 65!
NFW:).

Give the Media a damn good show..

This Company deserves all the negativity they can.

Got get em in the morning.!

----------------
On 6/4/2003 9:18:57 AM PineyBob wrote:
HIPPA is a matter of public record. It''s a law and anyone can get and make copies of the law to use as they see fit. Here is an idea. EVERYTIME you take sick leave, get a doctors note. Have the doctor write in the note, "The notice is in full compliance with HIPPA" then when you turn in the note, attach the appropriate page of the HIPPA Act to the note. Wanna be a real Pee Pee Head, "Accidently" leave a photo copy of your lawyers business card on the last page of the paperwork you submit.
----------------​
Bob,
I think this is great advice.

The only thing that would top it off and make someone a bigger pee pee head, is if following the photocopy of the lawyers business card, a page with a photocopy of somebody''s ''behind'' was attahced (accidently ofcourse) with a caption "Kiss My" or something similar.

----------------
On 6/4/2003 7:13:26 PM golden1 wrote:

Thank God in 99 I used all my sick time- I was hospitlized for surgery-off 3 months..

I have 4 or 5 days left and I dont abuse sick time-last time I called in was end of last Aug.

----------------​

Golden,

Can you clear up something for me? You were hsopitalized in 99 and dried up your sink bank after a surgery. You claim to not abuse your sick time, but you only have 4-5 days of sick left. For arguements sake, lets say that you were out from Mar-May of 99, returning to work in June. That is 3 years ago, meaning you should have accumulated approx 30-35 days of sick time since then. You only have 4-5 days left? Where did the other 30+ days go. You accumulated 5 sick days in 2003 alone.

In all honesty I think there is more to the story here then is being told......just a suspicion not an accusation.

hmmm, Sick time goes along with family leave.
If you hurt something long term (life time aliment) you need to use sick time/ FMLA.
If you read Golden said he was in an accident.
You are given these day to use. If you are hurt you should be able to use without recourse.
My Pop retired and had 265 days of sick time on the books. You know what he got. NOTHING.
And his retirement tinkered with to boot.
Don''t try using them in PHL they will put you on a level. with every use.

Geez Do I have to repeat and delve further..

Yes I had surgery in 99, I used what I had saved for 3 yrs or so..Yes I worked 3 yrs WITHOUT CALLING IN SICK>>>HELLOOO>>>> My sick bank had 14 days remaining when I returned...

Foot surgery 2 yrs later, more sick time exhausted....

>>>******NOTICE SICK TIME WAS ACCUMULATED*******

NOT AN ABUSER>>TIME WAS THERE FOR EMERGENCY''S>>>

Figure it out***if I have all the sick days, I DONT ABUSE, for the sake of not going into work!!!!!

UNDERSTAND?????

Do the MATH>>>>GOOD!

Now I''m still battling with my BOSS...He will not pay me and I need to send an authorization to my MD to release info to be paid..2 MEASLEY DAYS>>

Labor relations WILL NOT BE INVOLVED SINCE we have a union.

Union Contract states to disclose the nature of iLLNESS..

UNION REP SAYS NO WAY>

I''m getting tired of this!

And USAIR TOO>>>>

Trainees at the ATO tonite-psgr said to me....HMMMM..new people...everyone standing around!

This looks bad,I''m trying to do my work, train them keep everything together and get out a reasonable hour so I do not add OT.Which I don''t want...

Any other questions I can answer regarding my situation?

Even on the board I feel like I''m on trial...

And I''m off the clock!
Happy are those that took the severance and furlough and kissed off US!

Further addition to MARKMYWORDS,

I dont know what contract you have but Our Union contract,OR SO GOES THE CONCESSIONS, I did not accumulate 5 days in 2003...5 days total for the year..

Makes sense to you?

I really dont care if it or does not with you...

I prefer to hang onto 1 week sick days for unexpected.

WOuld you like to see my?????????
3.gif

Golden,

Calm down or you are going to pop a blood vessel! All I was saying is that there are 2 sides to every story and I am sure we are not getting all the facts. I didn''t realize there was a second surgery that used up additional days, sorry, I missed that one. Again, I was not accusing or calling you a liar.

Are other employees experiencing simialar documentation needs, or is this isolated to just your station per your manager?

I think the real problem is in the wording and interpretation of the contract (big surprise). It does state " and disclose the nature of the unscheduled absence", but I would think MOST managers would take the info that "I have a medical condition that required a doctors visit and here is the note" as sufficient in most instances. For most illnesses I dont care if they know I have a migraine or stomach problems, but there are some things that the company (and we all know admin and supvrs dont talk) doesnt really need to know as long as the doctor backs up the illness with a note that the person was out sick with a real medical condition.
The next part of the contract is interesting too. It states "Employees may be required to present confirmation of illness and the Company reserves the right to require, when in doubt of a BONA FIDE claim, a physician''s certificate to confirm such sick claim." It doesnt state that the note specify anything other than the employee was sick and that the doctor will vouch for the illness.
Either someone in station wants some dirt or they are being pitas. Have you done something else to get them po''d at you? I know this is a great way for management to "get even" without appearing to get even.
Make a note of another thing to change in the wording of the contract at renewal time.....

Labor relations WILL NOT BE INVOLVED SINCE we have a union

Who do you think the Unions talk to in this company when trying to solve a dispute..?

Call Labor Relations yourself...703-872-6234

This problem is all over PHL.
You cannot sneeze without a note of proof from a qualified DR.
Go get um'' Golden.
More crap on a different day.