US 4797/4798 Yesterday

Airbrush, AOG and all,

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed replies. The flight in question was Chautauqua and the aircraft was a Jungle Jet. I really don'tknow what the process at LGA was but bottom line it was resolved without aggravating anyone but some ignorant people on the flight (like I said they made up some good time).

The responses here illustrate the reason I remain so loyal--it's people like you. None of you had to offer any explanations but you did--that's what I get on the line flying with your colleagues as well. Everyone in the system (with the possible exception of Express agents in Terminal F in PHL) always goes that extra mile-often without being asked. You are truly the best.

Regarding the software, you probably have the same one I have--Flight Explorer. As a member of AOPA I have that software and it comes in very handy--I even offered to log on and check for 4797 on behalf of the gate agents..they got a kick out of the offer, and wouldn't you know as soon as I reached for my PC the system updated.

Again, thanks for the information, and I wish each and every one of my good friends at US all the best in the turbulent times ahead.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/29/2002 9:06:21 PM KCFlyer wrote:

[BLOCKQUOTE]
----------------
If that's the case, then my last few Delta flights all started 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. [/P]
----------------
[/blockquote]
Were you trying to emphasize something or simply making a statement?

<MODERATOR'S NOTE>[BR][MODERATOR'S NOTE][BR][BR]I'm not a senior a pilot - or a pilot for that matter. But I'm not going to let this one pass.

Hey Art, as a CHQ captain i can probably shed a little more light on this for you. Actually changing a tail nav (position) light on an ERJ is pretty easy, the issue is getting there. As was previously alluded to, you'd need a 22 foot ladder. Actually we normally use a deicing truck to do it on the line or a skyjack platform if in a MX shop, that big of a ladder is just dangerous .

Anyway, the time-delay issue was probably getting the truck, as CHQ doesn't do our own ramp at LGA, it's done by ALG. So I call mx for the bulb change, our mechanic comes over, then calls ALG OPS for the truck. Assuming there's no deicing in progress, it might take 20-30 min for the truck to show up. I'm not kidding, it normally takes the LGA ramp at least 15 minutes to bring ANYTHING to your plane, even something so routine as a GPU or lav cart. Once we have the truck, the actual bulb change takes about 20 minutes. There's 15 or so screws to remove the lens, then it's a bayonet-syle bulb.

There are 2 bulbs in the tail assembly, and both must be operating at night to ensure the required light output. As for the flip-switch mentioned to turn on a spare bulb, there's also a third bulb in the tail beginning with S/N 500 or so, which allows dispatch with one tail bulb out. the bulbs are carried in the onboard spares kit, so we SHOULD always have one available unless the last mechanic raided one and then the MX base didn't bother to restock the kit on an overnight check.

So the short answer is that it's a 20 minute job, but it might be twice that waiting for the equipment needed. Also, with as tightly as the express spots are scheduled in LGA, it may have been necessary to move the plane of the spot before servicing it.

As for the express times issue, i seem to recall a lenghty thread on this back on PlaneBusiness. Basically the answer is that we call an OUT time to ops after pushback, then an OFF time after climbing out of 10,000 ft, 5 min or so after takeoff. Once they are called in, the ops agent may put them in immediately, or it may be a while if he's busy.

Unfortunately, the common thread in all of this is that at a station like LGA where ALG handles its own flights as well as CHQ's and Colgan's, taking care of us isn't high on their priority list. Dissing your co-workers just because they work for a different one of the Eleven!! express carriers, part of the great U tradition [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/8.gif'] Hope this helps..
..CT

Captain Taco,

Thanks for your note with the expanded explanation. In this particular case they did an equipment sub, which was probably simpler but just as time consuming (I understand the issues involved).

In addition to being an experienced passenger, I am also a pilot, so I understand the FAR issues.

Again, thanks for the note. I wish you and all your colleagues the best...