US 767s Get Another Year's Reprieve

nycbusdriver

Veteran
Dec 19, 2002
The Capital of the World
Visit site
Buried in this article about the "semi"-upgrades to the AA 767-300s, Nocella says the US 767-200s will be flying through the summer of 2015.  Originally, they were supposed to be gone last year.  Then, the plan changed to "gone in 2014."

http://crankyflier.com/2014/03/11/american-is-upgrading-its-767s-but-only-the-front-half/

"Actually, the old US Airways 767-200s will be the first to go. They actually anticipate keeping them flying through the summer of 2015 for one reason – it allows them to accelerate the work being done upgrading the 767-300s. But after summer 2015, those airplanes will finally become beer cans."

Reactions: 1 person
Well at least two have just left the fleet. It's ironic that you started this thread as I just got back from taking ship 246 to the desert last night and planned on starting a thread about this. I will post some pictures of her final flight west... Also when I picked her up in BFM yesterday, ship 245 was also there being stripped down and will be flown to the desert within a few days. So two 767's have definitely left our fleet. We had 10, so now it's 8 if none of the others have left.

Reactions: 2 people
algflyr said:
Well at least two have just left the fleet. It's ironic that you started this thread as I just got back from taking ship 246 to the desert last night and planned on starting a thread about this. I will post some pictures of her final flight west... Also when I picked her up in BFM yesterday, ship 245 was also there being stripped down and will be flown to the desert within a few days. So two 767's have definitely left our fleet. We had 10, so now it's 8 if none of the others have left.

If they're going to use them to "accelerate the work" on the AA 767-300s, then they will probably be used on routes (domestic?  international?) that are currently being flown by those AA airplanes.  Where do AA 767-300s fly?  That's likely where the US -200ERs are going to be seen through summer of 2015.

Slightly off topic, but what's the status of the 734s?  How many are left and what is the rough timeline for them to be retired?

thanks for the update algflyr , interesting to read.

working them to GIG there usually weight issues ,the local load guy told me how they all differ in fuel usage, As I recall he said 249 does the best

according to one person in my stat who is in the know w the aircraft fleet... he says we have 12 734s flying and 2 more on standby   im not sure how accurate that is but he has said that repeatedly