US Airways 757 Fleet Age

The 757 is a great plane. Just strip the suckers, clean them, put in new toliets and BELEIVE me, the passengers will think they're on a brand new airplane. :)

Retire a fantastic money making machine---best performing A/C we have---able to leap into and out of small airports with 192 pax----naw take another drag dude of whatever ur smoking.

Just to add my 2 cents....

I hope we fly them for another 30 years. The 757 is the most beautiful airliner ever produced, and it never fails to fill me with pride when I see one in our livery, old or new.

757 is, hands down, THE finest aircraft I have ever had the privledge to fly. I hope we get many more of them. (I've flown the 727, 737-200/300/400, 757,767, A319/320/321 and fk100). 757 is the best lift, best technology integration, best to hand fly... I could go on and on.

AA announced today that they will be returing 19 former TWA 75's to their lessors. The aircraft are pratt powered and have the same door configuration as our 757s & lavs in the same locations, not sure about galleys. From what I recall, I believe these aircraft were built in the mid to late 90s, thus making them RELATIVLY young compared to our 75 fleet. On the surface, these seem like perfect additions to our fleet, lets see what happens.

AA announced today that they will be returing 19 former TWA 75's to their lessors. The aircraft are pratt powered and have the same door configuration as our 757s & lavs in the same locations, not sure about galleys. From what I recall, I believe these aircraft were built in the mid to late 90s, thus making them RELATIVLY young compared to our 75 fleet. On the surface, these seem like perfect additions to our fleet, lets see what happens.

Today AA told the employees that the lessors already have a customer (or customers) lined up to lease these birds and an announcement is expected shortly. They are very young 757s. The lease returns were not unexpected, since the returns coincide with the expiration of the leases.

AA's plan for these was to order new 757s in late 2001 to replace these (the new ones with RR engines) and that Boeing would assist in placing these with new lessees in 2002-2004 as the new ones were delivered. But September 11 intervened and that order was never placed.

AA says it will save about $50 million a year in lease payments - that works out to about $220k/mo for a 757 - no small chunk of change.

A differant engine type will be costly as US does not have spare engines or parts for the P&W engine.

While I agree with 700UW about the cost factor with the PW engines it is also a rare chance to get a fairly large fleet of relatively new 757's that are compatible with our fleet in other ways. And not previously mentioned I believe some of these birds are ETOPS certified as TWA did fly several European routes with these aircraft !

Cheers

LGA777

While I agree with 700UW about the cost factor with the PW engines it is also a rare chance to get a fairly large fleet of relatively new 757's that are compatible with our fleet in other ways. And not previously mentioned I believe some of these birds are ETOPS certified as TWA did fly several European routes with these aircraft !

Cheers

LGA777

The 19 aircraft in question aren't being returned en masse, they are being returned as the leases expire and the lessors already have customers.

I read in AW&ST that Mexicana is lookihg to unload their last 6 757's as they transition to an all Airbus fleet. Anyone now the configuration on these A/C?

Obviously it must cost a fortune to re-engine the 757 from Pratt to Rolls. Is it because of wing structure? Plumbing?
I've heard that the Pratts suffer from pylon fractures.

Back