US Airways ALPA MEC chairman’s message

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways ALPA MEC chairman’s message - June 1, 2007

This is an MEC Chairman Jack Stephan with a Chairman’s message to the pilots for Friday, June 1st, 2007.

I want to provide you with an update on this week’s events and to remind you about some important upcoming events as well.

Today I received a letter from ALPA President, Captain John Prater. This letter states in part that, “The Executive Council expects us to play an active role in working to explore consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success.†To begin that process Captain Prater is arranging a meeting for next Wednesday in Washington that will include the MEC officers from both east and west along with a small group of ALPA staff and advisors and Captain Prater himself. Additionally, recent correspondence from AWA MEC Chairman John Mcllvenna to Capt. Prater, and my response, are posted under What’s New.

After our meeting with Captain Prater next week, I plan to hold a conference call with the MEC to provide them with details of the meeting. I also plan to update you as well after the MEC has an opportunity to deliberate.

As these issues are being explored, the Merger Committee has been working in Washington all of this week with our merger attorney exploring, as the Executive Council’s May 24th resolution spelled out, “consensual approaches that promote career protection and mutual success.†They will report their findings to the MEC, and the MEC is expected to take up this issue during its upcoming second quarter meeting.

This meeting will be held in Charlotte from Monday, June 11th through Thursday, June 14th at the Charlotte Marriott Executive Park. As a reminder, during the first quarter meeting in March, a resolution was passed that gives you the opportunity during this meeting—on a trial basis—to address the MEC by telephone. The MEC would like to accommodate pilots in good standing who would like to address the MEC during the quarterly meetings, but are unable to attend. If you are interested in addressing the MEC, the Communications Committee will soon be sending out specific instructions to pilots on the details on how you can participate through email, the code-a-phone, and the pilots only website. It’s another way that you can stay updated and get answers to your questions and concerns.

I want to thank again all the pilots who continue to take the time to communicate to your union leadership with your feeling concerning the Nicolau award. Your participation and resolve were instrumental in convincing the Executive Council that they could not simply rubber stamp the award. We are far from finished and my commitment to you remains, that your MEC will leave no stone unturned in our fight to right the injustices created by the award.

Continue to look out for each other. Keep your families first, and as always, fly safe and thanks for listening.

US Airways ALPA MEC chairman’s message - June 1, 2007 Capt. Prater as an Association we can not allow our pilots to be further abused by an arbitrator that just doesn’t get it

I wonder what letter he wrote after the USAir/Shuttle integration. Did Nicolau "get it" back then?

what a collosaul waste of time this has been for the AAA leadership. You would all have a better chance of getting congress to restore your pensions than you would overturning the award.

But the AAA reps (including Stephan) have done a SUPERB job weasling their way out of any responsiblity for the award and subsequent backlash. They are playing the east pilots right now in true politico fashion. They completely screwed up and now they have blamed everyone from Nicalau (top mediator in the country) to the AWA pilots. Very well done IMHO.

I knew Bob from back in his early days at PI. At the time he was an F/O, and was in and out of EWR on a regular basis. I'm glad that at least he is still employed by the company... :unsure:

You're constantly preaching about wasted bandwidth.
Why post this again? We're all intelligent enough to have read and understood it the first time.
How about offering a different opinion or idea. That is what these message boards are geared towards. The history of your posts show evidence of ridicule, never an intellectual groundbreaking thought can be found in the history of your posts.

what a collosaul waste of time this has been for the AAA leadership. You would all have a better chance of getting congress to restore your pensions than you would overturning the award.

But the AAA reps (including Stephan) have done a SUPERB job weasling their way out of any responsiblity for the award and subsequent backlash. They are playing the east pilots right now in true politico fashion. They completely screwed up and now they have blamed everyone from Nicalau (top mediator in the country) to the AWA pilots. Very well done IMHO.

Give that man a cigar and the drink of his choice on me of course :up: . Barberpole you hit that dead center bullseye!!!!! :up: The real problem!! Rowe plus Chabatoni plus Brookman equals lies and deceit! Answer to the problem, RECALL TIME before they cost you a healthy pay raise next.

Now I'm going back to my drink, no more disturbances until the end of the weekend. B)

Give that man a cigar and the drink of his choice on me of course :up: . Barberpole you hit that dead center bullseye!!!!! :up: The real problem!! Rowe plus Chabatoni plus Brookman equals lies and deceit! Answer to the problem, RECALL TIME before they cost you a healthy pay raise next.

Now I'm going back to my drink, no more disturbances until the end of the weekend. B)
awa 320 quote, in reference to a AAA Pilot

"What you happy being paid RJ wages with poor work rules?"

Nostradamus asks

Can you tell us all on the message board about your scope clause at AWA?

Distributed with permission of author

Captain John Prater
President
Air Line Pilots Association
1600 Massachusetts Ave
Washington, DC 20001

May 29, 2007

Dear Captain Prater:

I am Bob Gaudioso and I have been an ALPA member for 27 years. My seniority number with US Airways is 384. I have served in so many ALPA positions I couldn’t begin to list them all here. I few of the more notable have been, MEC Chairman, MEC Vice Chairman, Capt reps in Charlotte and Baltimore, and numerous committees. I am currently on the ALPA National Leadership Conference Committee. I have spent most of my career representing pilots.

I attended your first pilots’ meeting and I stood up and stated that each of the ALPA Presidents had their crisis to manage. I told you I felt your crisis would be the dismantling of ALPA and that unless you were willing to make some dramatic changes you would be the President that saw the big carriers leave the association. I believe that threat exists now more than ever.

As you can see my seniority is not directly affected by the award however, I must admit I was stunned, shocked and saddened by what arbitrator George Nicolau came up with.

For too long the employees of our nation’s airlines have been blamed for the financial troubles of their carriers. For years we’ve herd from our managements, if you would just work for less, if you would just work more hours, if we could just take away some of your medical benefits, if you would just give up on that pesky retirement plan, then we could make money. They blamed us and the public and the financial community bought it.

This award is an example of the public and George Nicolau buying on to the principal that it’s the employees fault for the financial troubles of their carrier. How could ALPA merger policy punish pilots for the bad decisions their management made. I’ll take it even farther I don’t believe the management mismanaged us into bankruptcy, I believe they did it on purpose as a tool. After all look at the results. US Airways, United, Northwest and Delta have all lost their pensions through use of the bankruptcy courts. In addition to the tremendous pay, work rules and benefits lost.

Capt. Prater as an Association we can not allow our pilots to be further abused by an arbitrator that just doesn’t get it and who has bought on to the premises that we were at fault and our jobs and the sacrifices we have made don’t count for anything.

I use to hear your predecessor Capt Woerth pound his fist on the table and preach that we were a union. UNION UNION UNION

We will never be a union until we have a national seniority list and until ALPA is willing to have the fortitude to step in and do what’s right. ALPA National has hidden behind the non interference policy for too long.

Imagine what would have happened if ALPA National had intervened in the US Airways discussions when our pension was at stake. Because of the ill advised stance of 4 roll call majority pilots not only did US Airways pilots loose their pension but so did UAL, NWA, and DAL.

Captain Prater if you allow a pilot’s years of service to be totally discounted as was the case in this award how can we possibly feel comfortable being a member of this association. Frankly, how could any of the legacy carriers feel comfortable if this arbitration stands?

I have been impressed with your leadership so far however, this will truly be a defining moment for ALPA and I’m sure we will look back on it as such.

Sincerely,

Capt. Robert P. Gaudioso
Former Chairman, US Airways MEC
Seniority # 384

Nostradamus asks

Also can you please tell us how many seats your RJ's feeding you are allowed? Thank you.

Nostradamus asks

Also can you please tell us how many seats your RJ's feeding you are allowed? Thank you.

There went my drink <_< Tell me what exactally what you are looking for in terms of scope and that will help narrow it down.

RJ's, this is also a bit of a mess. The company can't have more than (38) a/c with max seating config of 71 to 84 seats.

No more than (50) RJ's with seating config of 51 to 70 seats.

no more than (75) with seating config of 50 seats or less.

I hope that gives you some answer to your questions.

There went my drink <_< Tell me what exactally what you are looking for in terms of scope and that will help narrow it down.

RJ's, this is also a bit of a mess. The company can't have more than (38) a/c with max seating config of 71 to 84 seats.

No more than (50) RJ's with seating config of 51 to 70 seats.

no more than (75) with seating config of 50 seats or less.

I hope that gives you some answer to your questions.
What about the Mesa Jets at CLT?

What about the Mesa Jets at CLT?
Those are within the scope language of the HP contract, just as they were when operating out west.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Transition Agreement scope language, which modifies both East & West scope to accomodate the total number of "large small jets" allowed in the separate East & West CBA's.

Jim

Those are within the scope language of the HP contract, just as they were when operating out west.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Transition Agreement scope language, which modifies both East & West scope to accomodate the total number of "large small jets" allowed in the separate East & West CBA's.

Jim

Thank you for your info Jim. With all due respect, I am speaking to AWA 320

to AWA 320

What about the Mesa Jets at CLT? Your response please, when you have time after dropping your premature celebratory libation.

Latest posts