US Airways buys 25 mid-sized planes

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
US Airways buys 25 mid-sized planes

US Airways Senior Vice President Andrew Nocella said the jets will be used primarily on the east coast, flying out of Philadelphia. US Airways will use them for flights between Philadelphia and Hartford, Conn. and Providence, RI. It also will fly between Philadelphia and Dallas or Houston.

Click here for the story.

USA320Pilot comments: Looks like the EMB-190 will initially be used head-to-head against Southwest.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Wow nothing gets past those crack reporters up in Boston. I understand they are dispatching a team to cover a report of tea being thrown into the harbor.

You guys are correct, that reporter is on the ball. Airways is getting a new jet, and two other operators also operate this kind of aircraft. Yep, Airways knows nothing about the new EMB jets do they? that reporter did not even mention the 170 currently flying in Airways colors that were recently outsourced.

This article sound like an infomercial. I guess its better than not advertising.

Interesting, as I thought the count was supposed to be 99, so as not to require 3 F/A's. If the count stays at 106, we would need 3. Now that doesn't sound like the company I work for. 99 pax and make those 2 F/A's bust their butts.

can't wait to see them in PVD.

Nocella said; "The purchase will not effect the relationship with any of our regional carriers."

With all the give backs y'all have been through perhaps the revenue for the 7 additional seats is projected to be more than paying the 3rd flight attendent? Either way, it certainly seems like a positive for both the FA group (more jobs) and the customers (better service). This could also create synergies with crews that are also trained on anything with less than 150 seats. E190 on one leg, switch to a 319 in PHL, etc.

I assume that the 106-seat figure came from Embraer's all-coach layout and doesn't mean that US will be using that configuration. After all, it isn't the best written piece I've seen.

That said, it would only take selling one of those extra seats to pay for the extra flight attendent. So if they could sell 4-5 it would be a sizable amount of extra profit.

Jim

I assume that the 106-seat figure came from Embraer's all-coach layout and doesn't mean that US will be using that configuration. After all, it isn't the best written piece I've seen.

That said, it would only take selling one of those extra seats to pay for the extra flight attendent. So if they could sell 4-5 it would be a sizable amount of extra profit.

Jim
This is true only if, in a >99 seat config, they sell more than 99 seats on every flight (or most of them). For 106 seats, that would require an average load factor(on that aircraft type) of over 90%. Doesn't seem realistic.

You're partially correct. The "partially" comes from the F/C vs no F/C difference in configuration and yield management.

Jim

What was the config of the F-100? Seems to me we replaced one RJ for another! What was the problem with the F-100 was it parts, engines service? Or the labor amount paid for crews? Any insight....

What was the config of the F-100? Seems to me we replaced one RJ for another! What was the problem with the F-100 was it parts, engines service? Or the labor amount paid for crews? Any insight....

Fokker? I believe there was no more support from Fokker.

Jim

Actually, if you sell 7 alcoholic beverages per per hour, you just paid for the most topped out f/a wage.

Back