US Airways considering putting ads on airsick bags

kicked2curb

Sep 14, 2004
This was on just plane news, it's concerning generating revenue with on board adverstising ;
US Airways Group Inc. is probably the most assertive in soliciting onboard ads — it was the first major U.S. carrier to put ads on tray tables and is now courting advertisers for its airsick bags- If this has already been discussed- I apologize

http://www.timesleader.com/business/Airlin...10-19-2008.html

This was tried several months ago and I saved one of the bags they printed advertising that you could buy space on the bags.

I think it fizzled as I never saw any ads on barf bags. Guessing that they are trying to re-heat the idea.

or regurgitating the idea :lol:

Actually, US launched this idea also about two years ago, and I tried to sell it to a few of our huge corporate clients (because the margin for my company would be great) - the problem I ran into was that due to the number of bags that need to be run, it costs a ton (hundreds of thousands of dollars) and it isn't targeted to most companies (like Ford, or GM? - would you want your car to be associated with air sickness, or vomiting??). If US can find a pharma company (or find an ad agency that does a buy for a large pharma company) they will have great success with this. Ad's need to be memorable in order for companies to spend the money. Say they got Pepto Bismol, or Gas X to sponsor the bags. That would be a no brainer of an ad buy... AND a huge success for everyone... Amusing for the customers, and memorable for the product...

It's too bad that can't get corporate sponsorship like NASCAR, and have the advertisiing plastered on the body of the aircraft :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, if they were smart they could do it in a way that provided a benefit to the customer, besides the obvious one :)

For example, in the days before digital photography was commonplace, advertising on the air sick bags could have been sold to a film processor. The bag would then be setup that you could take it with you, drop your roll of film into it and mail it in for processing.

You just need to think outside the box of what else could an air sick bag be used for.

<SNIP> For example, in the days before digital photography was commonplace, advertising on the air sick bags could have been sold to a film processor. The bag would then be setup that you could take it with you, drop your roll of film into it and mail it in for processing.

And if the bag is used for its original intended purpose, it could be mailed to this address:

111 W. Rio Salado Parkway
Tempe, AZ 85281

Maybe we can find an attorney that specializes in food poisoning lawsuits to buy an ad. It would seem that a majority of the barf bag customers would need his service as well.

Who ever removes the barf bag from their seat back pocket??? (Unless you need to use it, of course! :lol: )

If I were an advertiser, I would be advertising on the inside doors of the lavs. Captive audience! Or, heck, the seats are jammed so close together now that I'd just advertise right on the seatbacks.

Latest posts