US asks to delay its new PHL-PEK

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWAAA

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Here's a way to get a third daily China flight beginning next March:

US Airways Group requests one-year delay in starting China flights

US Airways Group Inc. has asked the U.S. Department of Transportation for a one-year extension for the launch of its planned Philadelphia-Beijing service.

The Tempe-based airline (NYSE: LCC) wants permission to start service in spring 2010 rather than spring 2009. It will be the carrier's first flight to Asia. It currently serves Europe and Latin America.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/sto....html?ana=yfcpc

I think AA should immediately petition for these frequencies with an eye toward starting LAX-PVG or JFK-PVG service. No need to buy NW or UA if it can grow its China access. AA has the airplanes and could certainly begin service next March 29.

I think AA should immediately petition for these frequencies with an eye toward starting LAX-PVG or JFK-PVG service. No need to buy NW or UA if it can grow its China access. AA has the airplanes and could certainly begin service next March 29.

That's an excellent idea.

Being an excellent idea is why it'll never happen at American; just add another fee and see how many more passengers can be driven away.

I thought that too. I also thought they could do it from PHL if they really wanted to using either a satellite base (we have a zillion FAs and pilots who'd jump at the chance to drive to PHL instead of JFK) or DH'ing the crews in to do it from JFK,IOR,IDF. But, as Goose says, it won't happen because we have a bunch of clowns in charge whose only interest is saving the company money so they can pad their own pockets.

You know, UAL delayed their rights to China from SFO, too because of fuel prices. I guess AA is so financialy sound and US and UA are wrong about the flight being a potential money loser with fuel prices so high.

Go for it, AA. One more nail in the BK coffin...

You know, UAL delayed their rights to China from SFO, too because of fuel prices. I guess AA is so financialy sound and US and UA are wrong about the flight being a potential money loser with fuel prices so high.

Bitter.....party of one....you have a telephone call...please use the red courtesy phone located at the airport entrance........

I'd say your coffin will be nailed first. You can tell us how bankruptcy is........once again.

Please what were they going to fly it with? No plane and no plans to get any. There is a big difference between the new UA service and the LCC. As for AA's finances, you got us 2 to 0 on bankruptcy filings. That alone speaks volumes to the soundness of this company over yours.

AA is looking at applying for Los Angeles-Shanghai. They would love Dallas-Shanghai, but the nazi unions won't allow it.

There is no rush to make the decission, but you have to be an idiot if you actually think AA isn't seriously looking at this. They are.

The plane can come from downgrading BOS-LHR to 763s (which is likely to happen in the future regardless) and cutting BOS-CDG.

Bitter.....party of one....you have a telephone call...please use the red courtesy phone located at the airport entrance........

I'd say your coffin will be nailed first. You can tell us how bankruptcy is........once again.

You should think about growing up, little one. Your avatar is shockingly appropriate and well-suited to a post as stupid as this.

The point is, we're all broke. And if two airlines (US and UA) feel that the route cannot make a profit with rising fuel costs, what makes you think AA can make a fortune and will rework its fleet to fly the route?

You guys are really drunk on all of the Kool-AAid, huh?

The point is, we're all broke. And if two airlines (US and UA) feel that the route cannot make a profit with rising fuel costs, what makes you think AA can make a fortune and will rework its fleet to fly the route?

UA was the only applicant for CAN, and no other airline is gonna try to replace UA on that route. Besides, UA still flies its five other nonstop China routes.

US, on the other hand, doesn't even have an aircraft on the property that's capable of flying PHL-PEK and is now asking to delay its only China route, and I suspect that other airlines (you know, airlines with suitable airplanes) will try to take those frequencies.

Many people predicted US would never initiate service on this route, and I suspect they were right. China is really beyond the abilities of the idiots running US.

That Doug Parker doesn't think US can make money flying to China proves nothing about other airlines' ability to make money flying to China. It only proves he's out of his league.

Nothing personal. Just business.

AA is looking at applying for Los Angeles-Shanghai. They would love Dallas-Shanghai, but the nazi unions won't allow it.

There is no rush to make the decission, but you have to be an idiot if you actually think AA isn't seriously looking at this. They are.

The plane can come from downgrading BOS-LHR to 763s (which is likely to happen in the future regardless) and cutting BOS-CDG.
Since they can't have DFW-PVG or PEK, I feel that LAX-PVG would be a good 2nd fiddle option. But once the APA stops acting like a bunch of little children, I could see AA applying for DFW-PVG or PEK. Also do you know if they will pull up the 2 777's for ORD-PEK?

As USUAL....FWAAA is in his +90 percentile, with regard to his suggestion(lets make that +95 percentile)

AA will go after this like a dog "in heat". Since AA already has ORD/PEK(ORD being AA's Premier International hub), it should "unequivocally" operate this route from N Y, (JFK/PEK) even if they can't get APA to sign off on it(dead head 1 extra Captain along for the ride) !

If this does come about, it will be ANOTHER in a loooong line of uncanny non-predictable, positive events for AA.

(Some things NEVER change) :up: :up: :up:

Can't they give the APA what they gave to start the ORD-DEL route and a little bit of what they asked for? BTW what did they get for ORD-DEL?

even if they can't get APA to sign off on it(dead head 1 extra Captain along for the ride) !

NHBB's - I'm starting to wonder about you. You should know that just putting a deadheading Capt on the flight (or possibly an entire 2nd crew) doesn't satisfy the duty requirements. The required relief pilot(s) would have to take their turn at the controls. Just physically being on the airplane doesn't count.

Jim

If this does come about, it will be ANOTHER in a loooong line of uncanny non-predictable, positive events for AA.

Like what? :blink: I haven't heard anything positive in a 'loooong' time.

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- American Airlines will start charging $15 for the first checked bag, cut domestic flights and lay off workers as it grapples with record-high fuel prices. Sounds like a hat trick.

Unlike previous awards, the DOT's award didn't assign backup authority for any of the awards, including UA's and US's. Instead, they said they'd start with a clean record...

So, US's now-delayed frequencies aren't even up for grabs if AMR wanted them....

The US aren't valid until March 2009, which is when AA starts ORD-PEK. UA's award was pretty specific to Guangzhou.

Since ORD-PVG and ORD-PEK are probably the two strongest options given AA's network and contracts, I don't see where adding a third route would do anything except dilute traffic on the other two segments. LAX would have a strong O&D to either PVG or PEK, but there's also a lot of competition in the market if you consider connects via SFO.

Mark, downgrading BOS-LHR would be mixing a two class and three class product at LHR, and I don't know that AA wants to do that. It creates some serious operational headaches, not to mention confusing the crap out of customers. The 777 is a far better product in Y because of the seatback video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts