US Airways says search for A340s exacerbated by 787 delay

I remember on the Concorde (British Airways), a multi-button panel where one could select core announcements in about twelve different languages. How does the CBA address that?

That's not unusual. You can make Airbuses speak French, and you can get the E190 to do the safety demo in Spanish and French (surprisingly not Portugese though). The issue is not so much the standard announcements as customer service and safety communication with passengers directly.

PIA just put up four 747-300s for sale.

747-300s were never certified for ops in the US by the FAA.... one reason only foreign flags had it.

Also, i think part of the Airbus A350 program deal was that US was to become an All-Airbus fleet (with exceptions of the E190s). So I don't think they can get any 777's without Airbus throwing a hissy fit.

I dunno. Sounds stupid for US to sign on to a new aircraft program that doesn't quite exist yet. Does anyone know if airbus has FINALLY finalized the plans?

Before Boeing can sell the airplane the FAA and JAA have to certify it.

Northwest operated 747-300 Tail # N705BC and the foreign carriers who own them fly them into the US.

Southern Air operates N749SA (cargo) and other cargo operators in the US fly them, there are pics in Airliners.net showing them in ANC. Atlas Air flies or flew them too, pics showing it in ANC and SAN.

Cargo 360 at LAX.

Swiss Air has flown them into JFK and BOS there are pics in Airliners.net

Varig has flown them into MIA.

JAL has flown them into HNL.

If a plane type flies into the US it has to be FAA certified.

Exclusive deals with Boeing or Airbus are frowned upon, AA had to give up its exclusive deal with Boeing after the Government got involved.

The A350 has not completed its design phase yet.

Before Boeing can sell the airplane the FAA and JAA have to certify it.

Northwest operated 747-300 Tail # N705BC and the foreign carriers who own them fly them into the US.

Southern Air operates N749SA (cargo) and other cargo operators in the US fly them, there are pics in Airliners.net showing them in ANC. Atlas Air flies or flew them too, pics showing it in ANC and SAN.

Cargo 360 at LAX.

Swiss Air has flown them into JFK and BOS there are pics in Airliners.net

Varig has flown them into MIA.

JAL has flown them into HNL.

If a plane type flies into the US it has to be FAA certified.

Exclusive deals with Boeing or Airbus are frowned upon, AA had to give up its exclusive deal with Boeing after the Government got involved.

The A350 has not completed its design phase yet.
i am gonna have to agree with 700 . i have seen many 747-300's operated here in the US. heck, swissair use to even fly them into PHL. if i am not mistaken , the plane would fly PHL-BOS-ZHR.

They are Retrofitting several 757's. Fuel Stop in Anchorage must be on the way. Gotta Love US, there is the innovation. What else did you expect? An actual plane purchase? That would cost them money and DoUgIe would affect his bonus. US' goal is to get it right by the 10th try.

Could you even land and takeoff from PHL with that boat anchor?

We can't turn a transcon 320 in less than 2 hrs and have it be on time - can you imagine the turn time on that pig? It would be once a day because it would take 24 hrs to get it ready to go again.

i am gonna have to agree with 700 . i have seen many 747-300's operated here in the US. heck, swissair use to even fly them into PHL. if i am not mistaken , the plane would fly PHL-BOS-ZHR.
I've seen KLM flying them into the US as well. I've always been curious as to what the big difference was between the -300 and -400 besides the wings. There is a pic of a KLM 747-300 that was converted and.. IIRC the upper deck was stretched.

I've seen KLM flying them into the US as well. I've always been curious as to what the big difference was between the -300 and -400 besides the wings. There is a pic of a KLM 747-300 that was converted and.. IIRC the upper deck was stretched.

Just come out and say it Scott....E-190's w/ an unscheduled fuel stop on your "non-stop" to nowhere.

I believe the biggest difference is two man crew vs three man crew.

700W & others,

There is a story behind why NO U.S. Carriers operated the 747-300 in passenger service or ordered it - while NW may have had one for a bit, they never ordered it. This comes from friends at Boeing.

I'm trying to dig up the link that goes into detail about some issues the FAA had with the plane, and why it was shelved so quickly for the 747-400 program.

Also, some of the KLM birds are 747-200SUD's - Stretched Upper Deck.

Since the -300 was nothing more than a -200 with the stretched upper deck (hence offering the mod on -200's), it sacrificed range for more seats. Depending on engine, it was a 200-600 mile range reduction. Not much of a problem trans-Atlantic but a bigger factor trans-Pacific. Maybe that was why.

Jim

SK,

747-300s were never certified for ops in the US by the FAA.... one reason only foreign flags had it.

Which is not true, Boeing has to get the plane FAA and JAA certified before the plane can be delivered for commerical use.

The range of a -300 is 6,700 nmi.

747-300

The differences between the -300 and the -200 include a lengthened upper deck with two new emergency exit doors and an optional flight-crew rest area immediately aft of the flight deck. Compared to the -200, the upper deck is 23 feet 4 inches longer (7.11 m) than the -200.[126] A new straight stairway to the upper deck instead of a spiral staircase is another difference between the -300 and earlier variants.[67] The staircase creates room below and above for more seats. With minor aerodynamic changes, Boeing increased the cruise speed of the -300 to Mach 0.85 from Mach 0.84 on the -100/-200.[126] The -300 features the same takeoff weight. Two of the three engine choices from the -200 were unchanged in the -300, but the General Electric CF6-80C2B1 was offered instead of the CF6-50E2 offered on the -200.[67]

The 747-300 name, which was proposed for a variant that was never launched, was revived for this new version, which was introduced in 1980. Swissair ordered the first 747-300 on 11 June 1980.[127] The 747-300 first flew on 5 October 1982. Swissair was the first customer to accept delivery on 23 March 1983.[31]

In addition to the passenger version, other versions were available. The 747-300M has cargo capacity in the rear portion of the main deck similar to the -200M, but with the stretched upper deck it can carry more passengers.[128] The 747-300SR is a short range version to meet the need for a high-capacity domestic model. Japan Airlines operated such aircraft with more than 600 seats on the Okinawa–Tokyo route and elsewhere. Boeing never launched a newly built freighter version of the 747-300, but it modified used passenger -300 models into freighters starting in 2000.[129]

A total of 81 aircraft were ordered, 56 for passenger use, 21 -300M and 4 -300SR versions.[130] The 747-300 was soon superseded by the launch of the more advanced 747-400 in 1985, just two years after the -300 entered service.[131] The last 747-300 was delivered in September 1990 to Sabena.[67][132]

Today, most -300 aircraft are still active, despite a significant loss of interest in the series amongst large carriers who have since sold them to other smaller airlines. A few of these aircraft have surpisingly been converted to cargo operations, though none of any -300s have been delivered new as freighters. Carriers still using these aircraft include Japan Airlines, Qantas, Pakistan International Airlines, Air India and Saudi Arabian Airlines.

So to sum it all up here:

We don't have any A-340's for China because Doug and Scott were busy celebrating Chinese New Year and missed the deadline for the orders. Meanwhile Sherri Shambles and the Company Historian were busy riding horses instead of revamping the LODO program.

Correct me if i'm wrong?

So to sum it all up here:

We don't have any A-340's for China because Doug and Scott were busy celebrating Chinese New Year and missed the deadline for the orders. Meanwhile Sherri Shambles and the Company Historian were busy riding horses instead of revamping the LODO program.

Correct me if i'm wrong?
Heck, Doug and Scott are still celebrating Mardi Gras! :eek: :lol: