US Airways says search for A340s exacerbated by 787 delay

beachboy

Veteran
Jul 7, 2006
US Airways says search for A340s exacerbated by 787 delay
By Mary Kirby

US Airways is continuing to source Airbus A340 aircraft for its planned Philadelphia-Beijing service, but says it has been "unable to locate airplanes that suit our needs", as Boeing 787 customers snatch up available capacity to offset that program’s delay, and Asian and Middle Eastern carriers seek to renew their fleets.

The 787 delay "definitely made the problem worse", said senior VP, schedule planning and alliances Andrew Nocella today during US Airways’ annual media day event in Tempe, Arizona.

A significant amount of new widebody lift is destined for US Airways in the next couple of years; delivery of new Airbus A330-200s will begin in 2009. By 2011, the carrier will operate 17 of the type. Airbus A350 deliveries to US Airways begin in 2014 and run through 2017

Although US Airways has rights to convert some A330s to A340s, the carrier no longer has "the time to alter" the A330 order for A340s deliveries to support the March 2009 launch of Beijing, reveals Nocella.

The A330 model, he says, would not be an ideal aircraft to launch Beijing.

Asked by ATI if US Airways might pick up some of Air Canada A340s, Nocella says: "Air Canada A340s go on and off the market. Sometimes when they come on the market, it’s very hard to close."

He says US Airways still wants to go forward with the Beijing launch, but notes that it is "a logistical challenge".

With a large batch of widebodies coming online, however, US Airways is focusing on international growth in the 2009-2011 timeframe; growth in domestic operations, says Nocella, will be "slow if not negative".
Philadelphia, with its "optimal east coast geography", will be targeted for service to Europe. Growth from Phoenix to Europe and Asia is "being considered but unlikely prior to 2010", says Nocella, adding that the new A330s and A350s will "unlock that door".

From US Airways’ Charlotte hub, an existing destination served from Philly is being studied, as well as service to Latin America.

Airbus at all costs!!!

"yes no other large airline in the world is going all airbus, but I am the all knowing doug" What time does that bar close?

It is kinda funny, Tempe is actually blaming Boeing for not getting an Airbus that in theory can make the trip to China.

He does have a point however as all the worlds airlines struggle trying to get rid of the Airbus in favor of Boeing, if the 787 is delayed the must keep the 340's a little longer

Again Airbus at all costs.

Nice job

They were never serious about China the first place. I wish the DOT would revoke the authority for playing games and award it to a real airline that can serve it's customers better. Tempe, the high cost of cheap has painted you into a corner again. Wow, you must me proud. :down:

"Unable to locate airplanes that suit our needs" So basically when translated into English that means "we cannot find any 340's on the 75% off clearance rack that fits our cost neutral goal."

Are they serious? They are now blaming not finding A340's on the Boeing 787 delay. Please tell me of an airline that is using an A340 a a stopgap measure for a Boeing dreamliner delay. The Boeing program, although behind is not that far behind that I would be snatching up A340's. I am starting to think that the Chinese New Year syndrome is indeed contagious and spreading rapidly. xīng xīng zhī huǒ kě yǐ liáo yuán!!! I think it is most likely that US is not willing to pony up for the right aircraft for the job. We talked about this several months back and everyone thought it too far fetched when I said that the A330-200 had the range to do China. I may be new to this board at posting, but I am not new to the world. I have wondered if this was not US managements plan all along. Would not be unlike them to promise something totally different from what is delivered. I am certainly not shocked.
Meanwhile, I just can't wait to see the new enhacements to the new Envoy seats.

Attachments

• chinese_new_year.jpg
    chinese_new_year.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 193
I just have to ask, "Has Tempe EVER accepted blame for ANY of the numerous mistakes and problems plaguing this airline"? I have never seen anything like it. :rolleyes:

Glad they went ahead and recalled all those f/a's, so we could hire chinese lodo's. Make alot of sense.

I'd hate to see the configuration of a US 380. 32C/5,000Y at 29' pitch with minimum staffing, BOB for 20 people, and 1 case of water per deck and 1 LODO and no crew rest seats!

Actually, If I were the DOT I'd revoke not only the China authority, but their license, and add every single person in Tempe to the list of people banned from the airline industry ala Lorenzo.

Another artical to make you say......huh? :huh: Does UAL or AA have to wait for people to "wake up" in DFW or ORD to make decisions? This place is off it's rocker.

US Airways wants to increase Philadelphia gates
By Tom Belden

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

TEMPE, Ariz. – US Airways said today it intends, over the next five years, to double its number of international gates at Philadelphia International Airport and to create a "satellite corporate headquarters" in Philadelphia.
The Arizona-based airline has hired about 200 additional employees in Philadelphia, its main international hub, and expects to spend about $30 million this year on upgrading equipment and facilities at the airport, officials said at an annual day of briefings for reporters.

The improvements couldn't come too soon.

For the first time, US Airways acknowledged that over the last two years it has lost or damaged more than four times as many passengers' bags in Philadelphia as it has in the rest of its system.

But it hastened to add that at the Philadelphia airport and across its network, the trend for keeping up with passengers' luggage and for on-time performance is steadily improving, the company officials said.

"We haven't done a very good job of providing an on-time product in Philadelphia, but our trend line is good," said Suzanne Boda, the airline's new senior vice president, based at Philadelphia International Airport to oversee all East Coast.

Douglas Parker, US Airways' chief executive officer, added that the airline realized after running a poor operation last year that it needed a satellite headquarters, with senior managers based in Philadelphia "who don't need to wait for Phoenix to wake up" before making decisions.

Parker also said he believes mergers among the nation's largest airlines are a necessity for the industry's long-term prosperity. But, he said, the airline knows it needs to concentrate now on improving its in-flight service and operational performance to continue its recent financial success.

Boda said US Airways will be able to operate a full schedule of European flights this summer with the gates it has in Terminals A-East and A-West.

But it needs three to six more gates by summer 2009. By 2012, she said, the airline wants to see the terminals expanded with up to 16 additional gates, almost 50 percent more than it has now.

President Scott Kirby said the airline had done a poor job of working with officials at the city-owned airport, where US Airways has 69 percent of the flights and carries 61 percent of the passengers, but that is changing.

"We have to make Philadelphia work for the airline to do well," Kirby said.

US Airways' unionized employees used the day, with more 50 media representatives gathered at its headquarters in this Phoenix suburb, to walk an informational picket line to protest their frustration with management on a range of issues.

Their main complaint is the lack of progress in negotiating contracts that merge the workforces of the old US Airways and America West Airlines, which combined most operations in September 2005.