US Airways Future with the Star Alliance

BuffaloJoe

Veteran
Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
If UA and CO Merge, will that mean the end of US in the Star Alliance? I would believe CO would dump Skyteam with the NW/DL Merger.

I'm fairly confident that if CO/UA Merges...They will remain Continental and stay in Star Alliance due to NW/DL's huge presence in SkyTeam...US might be AA and Oneworld by the time it happens.

I'm fairly confident that if CO/UA Merges...They will remain Continental and stay in Star Alliance due to NW/DL's huge presence in SkyTeam...US might be AA and Oneworld by the time it happens.

has there been anything in the press about keeping the continental name? I always assumed it would be United because United is so much bigger and has been around for so long. Several CO F/A's on my flights this week say the name is staying CO, but you know how those "i heard" stories go....

I thought i read somewhere that UA had no problem leaving Star

US doesn't bring that much to the table for Star anyway. They were supposed to provide increased presence in the Eastern US and a Caribbean presence. While they do provide more options in the east, the Caribbean presence is almost negligible due to poor connection timing and less than daily service. UA provides pretty much everything else that US could provide.

Well, as it stands, US Airways serves more European cities than United, including more Star Alliance gateways in Europe than United. While I am not going to say Star Alliance is a European based alliance, because it isn't, one has to admit that a huge chunk of Star carriers are based in Europe.

-Kinglobjaw

Well, as it stands, US Airways serves more European cities than United, including more Star Alliance gateways in Europe than United. While I am not going to say Star Alliance is a European based alliance, because it isn't, one has to admit that a huge chunk of Star carriers are based in Europe.

-Kinglobjaw

Yes US does serve more cities in Europe but United has more C A P A C I T Y to Europe over US Airways which is pretty pathetic.

As for Star Alliance...5291 flights out of nearly 18,000 daily departure are in Europe so you are correct as it nearly contributes to 1/3rd of Star Alliance's network.

Go and play some Travelquest Kingy :)

:huh: Give up US Airways to One world? Maybe I am to ignorant to understand, but that sounds like a stupid idea.

How would that benefit Star at all?

A different question and perspective...How could US Airways be of any benefit to One World? :eek:

What does continental offer Star that US Airways does not?

What does US Airways that offer One World? Better feed into Philadelphia. US Airways could route some traffic through to Iberia. Finnair could come into Philadelphia and have great Northeastern US access. With no Air Canada, US Airways could start more Canadian destinations with connecting One World fliers. British Airways could start flights back to Charlotte [One of Lufthansa's most profitable destination soon to be flown on a A346] that could give One World fliers better connections. As opposed to Miami or JFK.