US Airways has highest profit margin

Hot Nuts

May 12, 2007
The Bureau of Transportation Statistics released its financial analysis of the profits for the seven major network carriers Monday. US Airways was tops, American Airlines was at the bottom.

2Q 2007 Rank
Network Carriers
2nd Quarter 2006 (%) 3rd Quarter 2006 (%) 4th Quarter 2006 (%) 1st Quarter 2007 (%) 2nd Quarter 2007 (%) 2nd Quarter Operating Profit/Loss $(Millions)
1 US Airways 12.6 5.9 7.4 4.4 13.9 319
2 Northwest 9.2 11.1 3.7 7.2 11.3 364
3 United 5.1 6.6 0.3 -2.0 10.1 526
4 Alaska 6.3 0.5 -0.7 -2.7 9.6 76
5 Delta 8.0 3.0 -0.1 3.5 9.3 470
6 Continental 6.8 4.9 0.2 1.5 7.0 257
7 American 7.0 3.8 2.3 3.4 6.7 394
Seven-Carrier Total 7.5 5.4 1.7 2.5 9.2 2,406

The Bureau of Transportation Statistics released its financial analysis of the profits for the seven major network carriers Monday. US Airways was tops, American Airlines was at the bottom.

2Q 2007 Rank
Network Carriers
2nd Quarter 2006 (%) 3rd Quarter 2006 (%) 4th Quarter 2006 (%) 1st Quarter 2007 (%) 2nd Quarter 2007 (%) 2nd Quarter Operating Profit/Loss $(Millions)
1 US Airways 12.6 5.9 7.4 4.4 13.9 319
2 Northwest 9.2 11.1 3.7 7.2 11.3 364
3 United 5.1 6.6 0.3 -2.0 10.1 526
4 Alaska 6.3 0.5 -0.7 -2.7 9.6 76
5 Delta 8.0 3.0 -0.1 3.5 9.3 470
6 Continental 6.8 4.9 0.2 1.5 7.0 257
7 American 7.0 3.8 2.3 3.4 6.7 394
Seven-Carrier Total 7.5 5.4 1.7 2.5 9.2 2,406
What? We were at the top? Even with the PHL hub and without the PIT hub? Noooooooo.....

Wonder if it also has anything to do with the fact that the employees are by far the lowest paid in the industry???

This came up on my newsfeed:
US Airways No.1 in operating profit marginadvertisement

Article tools

E-mail this article
Print-friendly version
Discuss this article

All bizjournals.com news

US Airways Group Inc. had the highest operating profit margin of the country's airlines in the second quarter, a recent report says.

The Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier's operating profit margin topped nearly 14 percent in the second quarter with $319 million in profit, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, a division of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

That's higher than the average of all the network carriers, which was 9.2 percent.

US Airways' profit margin is also higher than in its second quarter last year, when the airline had a 12.6 percent profit margin.

Of the low-cost carriers, America West Airlines ranked among the lowest in profit margin, with an operating loss margin of 2.6 percent. The airline, which merged with US Airways in September 2005, operates as a separate airline under the Federal Aviation Administration. It lost $25 million in the second quarter. The airlines will report combined data later this year.

Low-cost carriers, as a whole, had an operating profit margin of about 8 percent in the second quarter.

US Airways (NYSE:LCC), which handles about 40 percent of traffic at Pittsburgh International Airport, also had the highest unit revenue for the second quarter. Its operating revenue was 19 cents per available seat mile compared with the network average of 14.8 cents per available seat mile.

The airline's total operating revenue for the second quarter was $2.3 billion. It ranks sixth of seven network carriers in operating revenue for the quarter.

At the same time, US Airways also had the highest cost per seat mile, at 16 cents. The network carriers averaged 13.4 cents per seat mile. The airline's cost per seat mile totaled nearly $2 billion, ranking it 6th out of seven network carriers in cost per seat mile.

Copyright 2007 bizjournals.com

US Airways No.1 in operating profit marginadvertisement

All bizjournals.com news

US Airways Group Inc. had the highest operating profit margin of the country's airlines in the second quarter, a recent report says.The Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier's operating profit margin topped nearly 14 percent in the second quarter with $319 million in profit, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, a division of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

That's higher than the average of all the network carriers, which was 9.2 percent.

US Airways' profit margin is also higher than in its second quarter last year, when the airline had a 12.6 percent profit margin.

Of the low-cost carriers, America West Airlines ranked among the lowest in profit margin, with an operating loss margin of 2.6 percent. The airline, which merged with US Airways in September 2005, operates as a separate airline under the Federal Aviation Administration. It lost $25 million in the second quarter.

Copyright 2007 bizjournals.com

So is America West still saving US Airways, or are they riding the coattails of the East? :lol:

USCREW,

Does it really matter any more?

I think not....
Think before you open your big mouth, it matters alot I'm the one the that lost my pension and took a 48% w-2 paycut and health cost more than tripled. On top of that my bone head MEC is giving A-WEST my profit sharing and ther are still making 20 bucks and hour more than I am. It matters alot to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes they are riding our coat tails big time!!!!!!!!!!!!! :down:

Considering it is rapidly approaching the end of the year, this information certainly does not put me in any kind of holiday mood.

Luvthe9,

My mouth is not big, nor is it fat. My point was, it doesn't matter because the way customers and employees are being treated right now, there isn't going to be a company in the not too distant future.

No disrespect intended to those employees who have suffered, you all have, and most of us customers appreciate that.

We just won't be gouged and fed an inferior product for a higher price any more, and those numbers should start to show in the not too distant future.

The report is a little bit deceptive at best. Keep in mind for accounting purposes, some of the costs for the east were charged to the west. I don't know how much was done, but I seem to remember it was not a small amount. Doing it this way, it would make East look like they did better than they did and west worse than they actually did.

The report is a little bit deceptive at best. Keep in mind for accounting purposes, some of the costs for the east were charged to the west. I don't know how much was done, but I seem to remember it was not a small amount. Doing it this way, it would make East look like they did better than they did and west worse than they actually did.

Good job, now get another bone and pat on the head from Doug.

View attachment 6412

That's a lot of charging!
EAST >300 million
WEST in the hole >25 million

Latest posts