US Airways 1st quarter results

And west always being a low cost carrier.........too bad for both sides but the playing field has been evened out......all over the passenger airline world........and if my crystal ball isn't too cloudy, it appears that's the way things will stay. Too bad and so sad for all.

what a dumbass comment.

I make that comment based on 2 things:

1. U was losing 1.5 million a day when fuel was at 55 dollars a barrel. So, do the math.

2. Remember that one quarter when U made like 5 million dollars and then quickly loss a record 800 million for the year. Once again, how can you make money when your spending 73 dollars a barrel for oil...??

YOU CAN'T. They are cooking the books...!!! Period..!!

SL (Dumbass)

You need to read your own postings. i.e. "Just read today that AMR will need to cut 1 billion more to remain competitive." They did not say to remain profitable. They said, to remain competitive.

Since AMR already charges the highest fares for much better service, thereby placing themselves in a different niche altogether, I would suspect that the word, "competitive", means something like stock price rather than actual profit/loss.
I don't care what they need it for. They still need it.

I flew into Charlotte yesterday on my way to Sarasota and talked with some of the agents there. Mood was very upbeat on the news of US Airways posting a profit. Some of the remarks made were "finally we have management that knows what they are doing"; "Thank goodness we have some smart people running things". All were really friendly (especially the PSA FA on my trip to Sarasota (o:). Hearing all the positive upbeat comments really reminded me how dark this board can be and was refreshing to be around folks with a postitive outlook. Sure we would all like some decent raises and benefits but the only chance of having those dreams realized is returning this airline to profitability. We are off to a good solid start but the journey will not be without it's trials and tribulations.

1. U was losing 1.5 million a day when fuel was at 55 dollars a barrel. So, do the math.

Fine. I will do the math. At the time you reference, U was not charging what it cost to provide the product. They now, even at $70, are now able to do so. This is nirvana..airlines actually charging what the product costs and depending on service and frequency to eke out a profit. Now, just food for thought..what happens if oil goes to $60, or even $50? Just wondering. ($80 STILL works like $70..only it cost even MORE to drive a car..in case you thinking of making that point!)

And to those comments by others as to the number of paint jobs at U..I count Eight...Dark Blue U, Current AWA, New U, Star, + 4 (at least) retros. Heck. I am just glad to see paint of any kind, having to walk around our battle scarred 73's every day. Greeter.

Eric, I had to fly on ATA last week (and SW, no thanks).

At both Midway and at DCA, I talked to the gate agents, both said "I sure wish AWA would have bought us!"

ATA is a shell of what it was, its sad, because its a great airline.

Glad to see US doing well with good management. Only dissenter is 700, but he hates everything. :up:

If it was not for the $90 million rebate from Airbus US would not have made a profit.

Just because this is the stupidest thing I have read on this board, I'm going to respond:

You're right, 700UW, US Airways should hang its head in collective shame over the fact that we couldn't make a profit without the refinancing of a $90 million loan from Airbus, which, incidentally made the merger possible in the first place. Without the initial loan we'd all eventually be out of jobs, so we should just ignore the entire merger under that reasoning.

Instead, I'm going to put my thinking cap on, which tells me since we really didn't make a profit outside of the so-called "$90 million rebate" there's actually an $85 million loss for the quarter and dark days ahead :ph34r:, so we're going to need you to send your outsourced job and benefit negotiator back to the table and help us take even more of your pay back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Instead, I'm going to put my thinking cap on, which tells me since we really didn't make a profit outside of the so-called "$90 million rebate" there's actually an $85 million loss for the quarter and dark days ahead :ph34r:, so we're going to need you to send your outsourced job and benefit negotiator back to the table and help us take even more of your pay back. :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was the extent of the thinking that allowed US to get anywhere near a profit. Why stop now?

Ever wonder how it is that the most profitable airline in the country is able to pay it's people better than those that are, say, eeking out a profit for the first time in years? Could it possibly be that the management acumen at said airline is actually capable of producing cost cuts and revenue enhancements without resorting to a bankruptcy judge to beat labor (which, in essence, was done by HP in years past and US in recent times)?

I did see some cause for concern regarding where the revenue gains came from and such.

They came from shrinking capacity in a time of rising demand. That strategy eventually falls apart, but nobody at HP seems to have institutional memory of the west coast and BWI retreats from the East side.

I guess one could thankful your not working at Northwest Airlines. Yesterday Northwest posted a $1.1 BILLION loss for the 1stQ 2006. That's $12,000,000 a day.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060510/airlines_no...earns.html?.v=3

US posted similar losses during its two bankruptcies. Most of the loss at NW in the first quarter was comprised of noncash reorganization charges. Excluding all unusual and special items, its net loss was only $129 million, not all that bad compared to the rest of the legacy industry. Excluding special items, UA lost more than twice as much, and it's already exited its first Ch 11 case.

When it becomes your board, then you can tell me what to do. If you dont like my posts, dont read them.