Us Airways Iah-pit-fra Fra-pit-iah

TheWatcher

Senior
Aug 26, 2002
I resently had business in Germany. I flew US Airways at the request of a relative that works for US. My normal airline of choice is Continental. I almost always support the hometown airline :) My trip on US Airways to and from FRA was a wonderful experience. We left IAH ontime and arrived in PIT 10 minutes early. I sat in seat 2a. Was a bit shocked at the use of plastic glassware in the first class compartment, but i over looked it because of the attentivness of the flight attendant. I didnt complaint to her, for it was something that i realize was completely out of her control. I sent a letter to the people in charge. Went on the PIT-FRA leg and experienced a really nice service. Sat in seat 5a. I was impressed with the A330 interior. Service was good and the flight attendants along with the ground staff in the US and DE were fantastic! Spent 2 days in Germany in some intense meetings with limited rest. Returned to the airport for my trip back the US. Was once again greeted with outstanding customer service on the ground and on the plane when i boarded. I didnt experience anymore inflight attentivness from the flight attendants for i was asleep nearly the entire flight back to the US. i sat in seat 2a. The flight attendant working my side of the aircraft was a bit more mature and extremely nice!! I believe her name was Carol. She told me she works the route a lot. She looked after me when i woke up and tried to get me to eat something since she noticed i didnt eat the entire flight. That was very nice of her. Upon reaching PIT, going through customs was a breeze!!! I expected to wait in long lines and have to walk a miralce mile to get to my connecting flight. that wasnt the case! I again was shocked and pleased! The flight to IAH was uneventful. I sat in seat 1f. Again, didnt like the use of plasticware in first class!!! The flight attendant was a nice young man and also very attentive. I will be bringing more business your way in the future. That ticket by the way was full fare!! If the employees keep up the good work on the ground and in the air, you will for sure see more business from me :)

Enough of my ramblings!!! Kudos to a job well done!

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

That was very nice of you to Let us know you had such good service....

PLEASE TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!

Great! Like Colby said, spread the word and welcome!

Doc, we are the only "major" airline without glassware. For the amount of bad publicity and customer complaints we get about it, bring it back!

This is what it is all about. I know who Carol is. She has been here since Orville and Wilbur figured this stuff out. And despite everything that has gone on since Siegel took over she, and thousands like her, continue to do their normal outstanding job. The company is the employees. Not the crowned kings who sit in Crystal City and contribute to the slow demise of a great airline.

As employees we deserve better. We deserve a management that knows how to run this company. Hopefully, with the employees pressure, this BOD will find us someone.

mr

TheWatcher,

Thankyou for your complimentary words.

We sincerely appreciate your business.

Glad that the PIT airport to Frankfurt flight was a positive experience.

We begin PIT - LGW London Gatwick Airport service on May 1, 2003.
It is supposed to be seasonal until October 31, 2003.

If the revenue looks better than expected, they may always consider
flying the route year round.

Again, thankyou.

Bob,

Most, if not all of the people in the European cities are contract. Not cost effective to have full time employees for 1 or 2 flights a day.

If you're interested, the complete list of overseas contract employees (and organizations) is in the restructuring documents available on line. The specific people may have changed since then, but it is a lengthy list.

Jim

Bob,

As far as flight attendant pay goes, it differs from carrier to carrier. Hourly wages can be similar but overall compensation is what sets them apart. Traditionally (and even this is generalizing), major airlines had the better contracts and overall compensation, with the LCCs and charter outfits being much lower, and finally the express/commuter carriers. The express FA position (pretty bottom of the barrel) used to be a stepping stone to the big boys, it wasnt expected youd stay very long, probably a year or two... The charter airlines you would go to if you wanted to see the world and be a stew for a couple years but not make a career out of it. There are also corporate flight attendants who make big bucks, but its a totally different lifestyle than an airline FA. Again that is a generalization of how it used to be.

As the LCCs are becoming major airlines in thier own right and the majors (ESPECIALLY Airways) in basketcase mode. things are flipping... most of the majors have taken huge concessions that put them in line with the LCCs. As you probably know from this board, Southwest is the most unionized airline in the nation and its employees in most departments make more than thier US Airways counterpart. And this is not counting incentive programs and profit sharing. The LCCs (that used to be a joke) are now the companies to work for, not only for compensation but for sanity and human treatment. Hourly pay, at least for new hires, doesnt differ much at an ATA or JetBlue, just the work rules.

The commuters, through the help of the majors that want to reduce headcount in thier own ranks (US is the best at this), have also become big airlines in thier own right flying bigger, better, jet aircraft on higher profile routes, but at the same compensation levels- thats why your major airline experience has become a network of outside company regional airlines.

Bob, I'm not sure if that answers your question. The point of my ramble is that flight attendant pay doesnt differ all that much between airlines per se, but work rules, benefits, and quality of life can differ vastly. These days it has more to do with how the company is doing and the contracts (or lack thereof if non-union) that have been negotiated, or dismantled. Like most industries these days, management is looking for the lowest common denominator with little regard to customer service or employee loyalty. This is why "mainline" jobs are being destroyed and replaced and the likes of MAA and Mesa etc are getting all of the growth.

PITbull or maybe airlineorphan might have more specific examples of flight attendant pay at different airlines. Hope that helps!

Latest posts