• Total voters

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
US Airways lines up narrowbodies
Courtesy of FlightGlobal.com
February 5, 2007
By Mary Kirby

US Airways says it plans to place a narrowbody order shortly to replace its ageing fleet of Boeing 737-300s and -400s.

The carrier late last year launched an internal review to determine its replacement needs, and began weighing whether it should place orders for current-technology aircraft with Airbus or Boeing, or forge short-term leases for current models while waiting to see if new-technology designs emerge.

"We've made a lot of progress [with the review]," US Airways chairman and chief executive Doug Parker said last week. Speaking before US Airways' proposed $10 billion takeover of Delta Air Lines was rejected, Parker said that the planned order was "on hold" pending the outcome of that deal as it would have resulted in "a much bigger aircraft order". He added that the airline was planning to place an order "pretty quickly".

According to Flight's ACAS database, US Airways has 56 737-300s and 40 737-400s on lease from several lessors. Three 737s and one Boeing 757 will be returned to lessors during the first quarter, Parker says, adding that US Airways intends to operate a mainline fleet of 364 aircraft by the end of 2007.

The carrier has previously said it intends to initially replace 60 of the narrowbodies within two years.

Airbus is hurting badly and will deal. Also LCC may very likely cancel the A350 orders but will favor Airbus narrowbodies due to the investment in BK2 and for fleet commonality. A larger capacity version (ie 320 vs 319 or 318) is needed as any flights marketed for 120 pax or less will be E190/195s.

Hey I should be an analyst! It sure sounds like I have an informed opinion even when talking from my backside :p

EMB-190's.

You left that out of the poll.

These are not "regional" jets. The FK-100 was not, the DC-9 was not.

Any "big" order will go to Brazil.

This airline does not have a big-airplane mentality; even my original carrier (old Piedmont) suffered from the same limitation, although near the end they seemed to attempt to break out of that mold. USAirways will always have the largest fleet of the littlest airplanes. It's just who they are. Sadly.

If they were readily available on the market for a reasonable price, USAirways would be scarfing up 757's to expand Europe. What a joke.

US Airways has said it will not replace the 737s with E-190s. A previous article from the same company quotes the carrier as saying: "We do have the E-190s coming on line but we'll need a larger narrowbody to replace all the 737s leaving".

There are reports that Boeing, as chairman of Delta's creditors committee, sided with the Atlanta-based carrier during US Airways' hostile merger attempt.

Could Boeing have lost a potential customer and a future US Airways order with Airbus aircraft obtained instead of B737s? In the end, I believe US Airways' "executive suite" will place an order that makes the most economic sense, but it would not surprise me if the new jets will be A320 family.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

There are reports that Boeing, as chairman of Delta's creditors committee, sided with the Atlanta-based carrier during US Airways' hostile merger attempt.

Could Boeing have lost a potential customer and a future US Airways order with Airbus aircraft obtained instead of B737s? In the end, I believe US Airways' "executive suite" will place an order that makes the most economic sense, but it would not surprise me if the new jets will be A320 family.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Boeing, along with the majority of the other Official Creditors Committee members sided with DAL because their plan made more fiscal sense. Had LCC been successful in the hostile takeover attempt, you would be singing their praises, proclaiming their wise decision-making. Boeing is smart enough not to make a decision that would affect one its biggest and loyal customers simply because Doogie is whispering sweet nothings in its ear. LCC is Airbus, period.

Delta777,

I have spoken to people directly involved in evaluating US Airways' upcoming aircraft order. Boeing and Airbus aircraft are both being considered.

I have reason to believe that if the US AIrways-Delta merger had proceeded Boeing could have had even more Boeing aircraft ordered, not just those by Delta.

Yes, Delta won the hostile 3-month fight by waging a furious battle, but in the end, Boeing may have lost a customer.

Only time will tell...

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Boeing, along with the majority of the other Official Creditors Committee members sided with DAL because their plan made more fical sense. Had LCC been successful in the hostile takeover attempt, you would be singing their praises, proclaiming their wise decision-making. Boeing is smart enough not to make a decision that would affect one its biggest and loyal customers simply because Doogie is whispering sweet nothings in its ear. LCC is Airbus, period.
would you please just stay in the delta board. we have nothing to do with delta anymore and you guys have nothing to do with usairways anymore. thank you .

would you please just stay in the delta board. we have nothing to do with delta anymore and you guys have nothing to do with usairways anymore. thank you .
Who are you to write that? You went over to the DL board constantly and said things that were way off base and made no sense. I welcome constructive DL comments on here, even if it's not what you "want to hear..." :rolleyes:

Where my "lapdog" at? :up:

your request would have a lot more credibility if you were to offer it with a different avatar representing you...
just a guess?!? :blink:

the company is leaning towards best price for a/c. as for the avatar your right . it will be changed. and itestwell, i will fly with you one day buddy. just remember that.

the company is leaning towards best price for a/c. as for the avatar your right . it will be changed. and itestwell, i will fly with you one day buddy. just remember that.
Anway, idle threats aside ( :rolleyes: ), I welcome DL people to comment on this board. Also, looking forward to the narrow body (and wide body!) order....

Anway, idle threats aside ( :rolleyes: ), I welcome DL people to comment on this board. Also, looking forward to the narrow body (and wide body!) order....
oh it's not a threat . i am just saying that we will fly together some day and i hope you tell me you are who you are. that's all . and i also welcome the narrow body and wide body order

the company is leaning towards best price for a/c.
I think we may have a winner....

If forced to guess, I'd say Airbus will get any order because -

1 - Parker seems to have a childish streak and will see ordering from Airbus as a way of "getting back" at Boeing.

2 - LCC already has Airbus narrow-bodies on order for delivery thru 2010. Why not just add to that order?

3 - I suspect Airbus will offer the lowest price, especially after their troubles of the last year or so.

The only potential problem is that the A320 is the by far the most popular airplane that Airbus produces and sales of Airbus widebodies has lagged. Meanwhile Airbus faces the costs of getting A380 production underway while losing money on them due to delay penalties and redesigning/producing the A350. So they may not be offering the deals they once were on the A320 since it is now their only cash cow.

Jim

Jim

Boeing, along with the majority of the other Official Creditors Committee members sided with DAL because their plan made more fical sense. Had LCC been successful in the hostile takeover attempt, you would be singing their praises, proclaiming their wise decision-making. Boeing is smart enough not to make a decision that would affect one its biggest and loyal customers simply because Doogie is whispering sweet nothings in its ear. LCC is Airbus, period.

Did you mean "fecal" sense or "fiscal" sense? Enjoy your new Boeings.