US Airways - new changes of Seat configurations

Diamondbacks2004

Advanced
Mar 29, 2004
Beginning this fall the East A319s and A320s will be converted to match the seating configurations and pitch of the West fleet. There still will still be some differences due to a few monuments that are very expensive to move. But the number of first class and coach seats will be the same. We also are considering reducing the number of first class seats on the A321 from 26 to 16, which is more consistent with the number of paying first class customers on board. If we move forward with this, the A321 conversion will happen early next year. Currently, we have no plans to convert the B757s to a common configuration (the West planes are largely going to be on Hawaii routes). Changes to the B737 will depend on the future of the type in the fleet.

If they pull 10 seats out of the A321, you'll see an elite exodus. Beginning with myself. Elite upgrades will become nonexistent on the trunk transcons like SFO-PHL/CLT - the routes I fly most often - and if I can't get elite upgrades on the routes I fly, why bother?

That thing's a flying pig to begin with - I don't see how they can shoehorn more seats in.

If they pull 10 seats out of the A321, you'll see an elite exodus.

That thing's a flying pig to begin with - I don't see how they can shoehorn more seats in.

All I have to say is that jetBlue started service to JAX on Thursday, and guess whose airplane I'm on at 6:20am tomorrow bound for SYR?

I'll give you a hint: it doesn't have a barcode on the tail. And it's a better coach product.

Great! Cram everyone in. I hope that when management flies they fly in coach, maybe then they'll realize their greediness. More seats = extra weight, how many are these seats are necessary? Just hope that they do an aout face on this one.

We also are considering reducing the number of first class seats on the A321 from 26 to 16, which is more consistent with the number of paying first class customers on board.
Well so much for the benefit of "unlimited upgrades". Guess this paints a clear picture to the FF's where we stand.

I hope that when management flies they fly in coach,
Yeah like that will happen....just more FF's being bumped from FC.

I'm going off on a rampage about this trial balloon so that we can shoot it down as quickly as possible. Taking 10F out of the A321s is unacceptable and they ought to know that to begin with. If they hear it loud and clear now, hopefully they'll quickly come to their senses.

Is this something they can actually do with this aircraft's performance profile? If they take out 10 FC seats and add "X" number of coach rows, how much more weight will that add to the 321s? These planes are already stretched to a point where they have a hard time making transcon runs. This would make it even tougher. I'm not sure that this rumor is correct.

Is this something they can actually do with this aircraft's performance profile? If they take out 10 FC seats and add "X" number of coach rows, how much more weight will that add to the 321s? These planes are already stretched to a point where they have a hard time making transcon runs. This would make it even tougher. I'm not sure that this rumor is correct.

Im thinking the same thing. I wonder if that has been considered. If the revenue is there to justify more economy class seats, why not just increase trancon flights instead of upsetting the constant freq. high fare paying passengers with a reduced first class? Are the lunatics still running the assylum?

Who care if they take ten seats out I mean, to think, someone actually paid for first class, what a concept. I mean really, maybe if there is only 16 seats they can start doing a predeparture beverage service, which should be happening anyway.

They won't have a soul absent elites in PHL or CLT on the elite ranks.

There is no point. If I'm connecting to a transcon, it's going to be on an airline where I have a reasonable chance of an upgrade (if I don't buy the F/YUP/whatever fare) or on UA (because E+ makes a transcon decent in coach).

I figured this would happen. I'm going to giggle once the LCC's finally chase the "run and hide" routine down once and for all.

United has been considering making PHL-LAX a ps route, and if US goes ahead and reconfigures the 321, this will probably give them the ammo they need to go ahead with it.

On the other hand, I guess we can kiss our FC closets good bye!

United has been considering making PHL-LAX a ps route, and if US goes ahead and reconfigures the 321, this will probably give them the ammo they need to go ahead with it.

On the other hand, I guess we can kiss our FC closets good bye!

PS aside, UA could add more frequency to LAX. There are only 2 non-stop flights per day to LAX.