LESS First Class, MORE Coach

We are realistic, but you also must realize that many of the changes you have made make you a LESS favorable choice for travel for the frequent flier than many of your competitors--and at prices equal to or more than the competition.

Sky high states: Early in my career, I had the opportunity to work gates at another carrier. It isnt long before you begin to "recognize" your FREQUENT FLYER. He/She is there every week. It's not common, to be on a first name basis. FIRST CLASS IS IMPORTANT TO THEM!!! (even though the service over the years has diminished up front).
I THINK THEY VALUE THE WAY THEY ARE TREATED MORE THEN THE MILES THEY ACCUMULATE.

Where is the freakin glassware on TC flights? It was to be on the a/c June 14th. Did I miss something in the mail? MEMO PLEASE!! :huh:

There just aren't that many paid F tix bought ex-PHL to justify PS.

Well US seems to fill so many FC seats with mileage upgrades how would they know. The YUP program seems to be successful enough for them to continue it--that is a discounted FC seat booked in the F bucket. However, if I book with too short notice, I cannot even get that fare. I know some FF's won't agree, but I like UA's program...it rewards high yield customers. If you buy a YUP or QUP or A or F fare, you can get FC immediately if available. However, if you are going on an upgrade, no matter what fare you buy, you cannot upgrade until your window. This seems a lot more fare. That way, you can sell the FC seats and whatever is left within the 7 day window, you can use for upgrades as desired.

Where is the freakin glassware on TC flights? It was to be on the a/c June 14th. Did I miss something in the mail? MEMO PLEASE!! :huh:

SKY HIGH states: They're trying to buy them back from the 99-Cent Store! :up: :lol: :up:

I THINK THEY VALUE THE WAY THEY ARE TREATED MORE THEN THE MILES THEY ACCUMULATE.
It is funny you say that. I just told a US1 liason the exact same thing last night. I don't care about my accumulated miles (cripe I have about 1M right now). I care about preferred miles and how the airline treats me as a result of my loyalty and business.

It is funny you say that. I just told a US1 liason the exact same thing last night. I don't care about my accumulated miles (cripe I have about 1M right now). I care about preferred miles and how the airline treats me as a result of my loyalty and business.
Exactly.....my balance always hovers around the 800K mark. and I average 1 ticket for myself every 1-2 years. The rest I give away to family and friends. Miles are no incentive to me, it's the customer service and the perks. With both of those diminishing, where's the incentive to stay?

What is PS service?

PS is a brand name for UA's transcon service. They use 757 aircraft that are configured for about 145 passengers. They add room and some amenities and charge a somewhat higher fare for the service.

Sky high states: Early in my career, I had the opportunity to work gates at another carrier. It isnt long before you begin to "recognize" your FREQUENT FLYER. He/She is there every week. It's not common, to be on a first name basis. FIRST CLASS IS IMPORTANT TO THEM!!! (even though the service over the years has diminished up front).

Sky High,

YOU get it. Congratulations!

Also, a relatively low percentage of FREQUENT customers are low yield. It's a law of averages, but I know in my case, my average fare is about $500-$600, regardless of destination. It is often more as I do 2 or 3 cities in a week. I estimate my yearly spend at around $45-50K.

My mileage balance right now is about 475K. I have used about 350K in the past few months, mostly for my family. F IS very important for me, and for most of the other FF's I meet.

The key is to remain competitive with other carriers, and right now the momentum is in the other direction. If you want to be a true LCC fine, but then fares must be lowered to WN or B6 levels. To charge the same if not more than other carriers and offer your FF base fewer incentives will cost alot more than it saves in the long run.

My question, which I haven't seen addressed here, is what are they doing with the video equipment?

I'm assuming it's AW metal that's being reconfigured - are they putting in east style video screens?

What is PS service?
PS = Premium Service. Others have replied to what it is, but I haven't seen anyone actually say what those two letters are. It's basically a 757 with F/J cabins you'd find on an international route. AA does it (and very well) from JFK to LAX/SFO with 767-200s.

On the same note, if UA were to offer a PS flight or two from PHL (they only do a few PHL-LAX/SFO daily anyway) and advertise it heavily, I can see a lot of US loyalists jumping ship. What's to lose when they still get status miles and a worst case scenario seat is E+?

hola from madrid,
all i want to know is where the video system is going to be installed? :unsure:

Sky High,
YOU get it. Congratulations!
also, a relatively low percentage of FREQUENT customers are low yield. It's a law of averages, but I know in my case, my average fare is about $500-$600, regardless of destination. It is often more as I do 2 or 3 cities in a week. I estimate my yearly spend at around $45-50K.

sky high states: I had a light bulb moment last night. When I first read that Northwest was putting in Freq. Flyer lines for boarding, I laughed. I thought, how lame. It wasnt until I thought about this tread that I realized how much CREWMEMBERS appreciate those "for crewmembers only" lines at security. IT SEPARATES US FROM THE AMATEUR FLYER. You know the one, beeps three times, forgets to put items through, causes the line to back up...etc. Northwest, How genius! You've found a cheap way to make your FREQUENT FLYER "feel appreciated". Board WHEN YOU WANT, BY LINING UP, IN YOUR OWN LINE.
This improvement for the Freq. flyer is all about EXPERIENCE, feeling valued by not having to deal with the CATTLE CALL boarding it has ALWAYS BEEN.

I doubt UA would run p.s. SFO/LAX-PHL before they start it LAX/SFO-IAD/BOS.

But then again, maybe UA carries a lot of paid F connecting through PHL or paid Envoy connecting to Europe. If that is the case maybe p.s. would steal even more of that traffic.

UA's F product is worth buying up to. US/HP is currently not.

That makes a big difference.
Don't get me wrong, I totally agree. I just wanted to point out the number of seats.

Maybe US should brand their domestic F as Business Class so expectatios are lower. AirTran calls it Business Class.

Latest posts