LESS First Class, MORE Coach

SKY HIGH

Veteran
May 22, 2004
US Airways Move Could
Squeeze Out Upgrades

US Airways is considering eliminating 10 seats in the first-class sections on its transcontinental flights, which would make premium seating harder to get through frequent-flier upgrades.
The changes would most affect the carrier's Airbus A321 aircraft that operate not only on transcontinental flights but up and down the East Coast. Under the proposal, the number of first-class seats would drop to 16 from 26. The move could mean that business travelers will more often have to buy first-class tickets to get a seat in the front, instead of paying for a coach ticket and using frequent-flier miles to upgrade.

The airline plans to make a decision by the first quarter of next year.

Separate from that decision, US Airways plans this fall to add six more seats -- another row -- to its coach cabin on its A319s. That will reduce the average seat pitch, or legroom, by an inch or so to 31 to 32 inches from 31 to 33 inches. US Airways will get space for the added row by removing a closet used to store the aircraft's video equipment. No changes in the first-class cabin of the A319s are planned. But the Tempe, Ariz.-based airline will begin removing four first-class seats on its A320s by the fourth quarter, reducing the number to 12 from 16. The carrier said it doesn't plan any changes to its A320 coach cabin.

Washington Post Article

The FF's are going to LOVE this! :down: The 'Piney Bob's' of LCC (the ones who took their personal time to help save the airline) should not be punished for their effort. In MY opinion, they are the ones who kept all hope alive when everyone else had already given up.

But the Tempe, Ariz.-based airline will begin removing four first-class seats on its A320s by the fourth quarter, reducing the number to 12 from 16. The carrier said it doesn't plan any changes to its A320 coach cabin.
Well, hopefully they will add a row of coach to the A320 cabin. I would consider that a 'change'.

Nice to see some behavior consistent with trying to be a 'LCC'. And while I'm sure the FFers will protest, UA only has 8 F seats in their A319s.

The A320 will go from F16Y126 to F12Y138, which will be in line with the current HP configuration. So essentially, they are adding another row of coach on the east A320s.

On another note, I always thought the A321 had too many first class seats. I think 16 seats will be the right amount for that aircraft. Are they adding 2 more rows of coach on the A321?

Let's not forget the A330 fleet, which currently has the most generous seat pitch (in economy) across the atlantic, will eventually have 25 additional seats added.

On another note, I always thought the A321 had too many first class seats. I think 16 seats will be the right amount for that aircraft. Are they adding 2 more rows of coach on the A321?

You even have to ask? :lol:

From the f/a side, I am happy. Coach needs the 3 f/a's as is. Now the C will go to the back and the A will have a managable 16 customers. I wish ALL the 320 family would have 16 seats. That would take care of any a/c subs within the 320 fam.

Well, hopefully they will add a row of coach to the A320 cabin. I would consider that a 'change'.

Nice to see some behavior consistent with trying to be a 'LCC'. And while I'm sure the FFers will protest, UA only has 8 F seats in their A319s.

UA's F product is worth buying up to. US/HP is currently not.

That makes a big difference.

Personally, while I feel that 26 is too much in F for the 321 while NOT used on transcons, I feel it is the right amount for the transcon market. I agree with most that when used on shorter routes there is no need for 26 seats, except perhaps the LGA-CLT route, where F is always full with premium travelers (mostly paid outrageous fares). At the very least, if they want to take the 321 down to 16 they should bring the East 757 up to match the West configuration of 14F.

Fly, thank you for your kind words for Piney and our compatriots at FFOCUS. You're right that we will not take a move like this lightly, but it would be consistent with other moves made by the new management which indicate they do not value VFF's. I understand that change has to happen, but so far it has been all take and no give. It almost seems like they want the high volume flyers to go elsewhere, because they have done NOTHING to make us feel welcome.

I will concede that the F catering has improved tremendously, but that can be chalked up to being competitive with other carriers.

I can also see standardizing the 320 fleet to 12F, but perhaps the 321 should be 20 or 18 or something in between. IF they make this change, I would like to think they'd give us an opportunity to express our opinion, and for us to listen to their reasoning.

I am very reasonable, and do not expect the world for nothing, but I expect VALUE, and I do expect to be treated better than the person who flies once a year. There has to be a middle ground folks, and if we have to give up something we expect something in return.

Also, as a comparison, AA DL and UA have 22-24 F seats in a 757 with no plans to change. I am not sure about NW or CO but believe they have full F cabins up to the #2 door as well.

It's about dialogue and discussion folks. If you don't want to listen to your customers, that is your choice, but don't expect your best customers to stick around. I will be discussing this with my contact in Tempe tomorrow--it will be a question and opinion, not a whine...

My best to you all...

The most sensable thing to do would have been to reconfigure the West 319's to East standards because there are more East 319's and reconfigure the East 320's to West standards because there are more West 320's.

Leave the 321 alone!

It's tough for the FF to accept that some of these changes will take place. I understand their concern, it's already tough to get a first class seat to begin with. Keep in mind, some of this won't happen for few years, but it's the overall goal of the new airline. The reasons for the changes to the A321 go beyond simply adding more coach. There are also considerations on service, staffing, etc for the first class cabin. The A321 must be configured consistenly regardless of the route they fly. Keep in mind, as the airline gets one certificate, the 321 may be better utilzed in other markets, including the west where the cost of operating could be more advantageous.

All of this change may sound like bad moves, but it was known from the beginning from those on the West, that closets would be removed, seating configuration would change, inflight service would be modified. This is all about keeping the airline strong for the future. These are necessary steps to maintain a cost advantage over the competition and the competition comes from all directions.

All this reconfiguration takes a lot of money as well when you consider the labor and then the manual rewrites. All f/a manuals will have to be updated for each a/c type they reconfigure. Here's a question.... When in an emergency we have to tell passengers to "Grab ankles, heads down stay down"....How in the hell are you to grab your ankles? I can't even get my small carry tote out from between my legs. You won't have to worry about "Big" wide people complaining...you'll have the "Big" long people complaining now as well. oh well pack em in. :rolleyes:

NW and CO both have 24F in their 757s, and CO has 18F on their 738s, which fly a lot of transcons as well.

This would give US Airways by far the smallest transcon F-cabin of any major carrier. As I mentioned to Keith, if I can't get into the F-cabin on transcons, what good is being loyal to US Airways? It's really the only thing the product has to offer.

All this reconfiguration takes a lot of money as well when you consider the labor and then the manual rewrites.

At HP when we had reconfiguration issues the reconfiguration occurred when the aircraft went in for a major overhaul. That minimized expense and minimized aircraft unavailability time. As for the FA manual, they would send out temporary revisions that covered the non-standard aircraft. Keep in mind that I fully believe that a completely new IOM will be coming sooner or later. IMO there are too many changes occurring to just piecemeal the revisions.

All the talk about First class and no mention of reduced pitch in coach? The leg room is barely useable as it it unless you are 5'10" and under. This will make many more people miserable than removing some F seats. Now, not only will the FF not get the upgrade, but they will be shoehorned into a seat with their knees smashed.
Then, the pax in front will inevitablely recline the seat therby putting their heads mere inches from you face, further reducing the small space. Another row or two in coach will also have the benefit of making the race for overhead space that much more enjoyable.

IMO reducing pitch is a bad idea.

I'm in favor of the changes. 26 F/C seats on the 321 is too many. It creates a service hardship for everyone who works it. Now that we are "selling" everything under the sun on board in coach, it's not fair for the A to "hold" the C up front for any period of time. Don't get me started on all that running in the first class cabin. I won't even comment in depth about the US4's that find their way up in first. Scary..... It's why "A" on the 321 ALWAYS GOES JUNIOR. It's the "sh*t" postion on that aircraft. It's way too many people-with very little available help to wait on them properly.....