Us Airways News - July 23, 2004

Smoke and Mirrors said:
I highly recommend that the IAM strikes a deal soon or they could be on the outside looking in. At least the AFA & CWA are ready to strike a deal soon.
Who is striking deals? ALPA made an offer weeks ago and I don't think it has been countered yet.

PITbull said:
Lakefield recently told Pennsylvania officials that he would like to preserve the company's 1,700 maintenance jobs at Pittsburgh International Airport. It remains unclear whether IAM's refusal to negotiate will affect that commitment.

The company is seeking $295 million in concessions from pilots; $116 million from flight attendants; $122 million from CWA; and $267 million from the machinists' union.

ohhhh, now Lakefield has jumped into the same old retorhic of threats and blackmail.
Good Job, Lakefield :down:
As that article is written, I don't see any real quote from Lakefield. Or threat, or blackmail. The only thing that's clearly attributed to him is the idea that he would like to preserve the jobs. The comment about the IAM refusal, as it's written, might not be something Lakefield said. It's a leap in the negative direction to call it threat and blackmail, at least based solely on this article. I don't deny he might feel that way regarding the IAM, I just wouldn't start an argument based on information that is not at all clear.

Well,

If closing PIT would save money, not much the IAM can do about that... Not like you can have a strike over them moving the MNX work elsewhere in the system. Not everyone IAM represented from PIT could or would move either, thus new people in another location = lower costs. Pretty much the same thing they did with RES centers in places like SYR.

BTW That big nice white Bldg on the other side of the IND airport sure is quiet nowadays, so no one can claim such a thing is impossibile, nor can they claim that it is unlikely at this point.

Granted, if US goes into reorganization once again, US would still need mechanics, but in PIT...? Not to mention in reorganization or out, there is no real treat of a strike hurting US, unless you have been living under a rock, strikes at airliens are not allowed anymore by the government. Instead the two parties meet, and the union gets some of what they want, and the company gets some of what they want, like Heavy MNX offsite, and fleet service outsourcing...

Strikes sounds scary, but in reality, they are no longer allowed to effect the US transportation system (by the current administration, at LEAST until Jan)

Just reality, sorry...

Rico:

You are getting closer to part of the pain that could occur. The former UAL IND maintenance center has the same problem as the PIT airport, too much debt. In fact, I have been told the maintenance facility debt is larger than the PIT airport debt.

It's my understanding the PIT maintenance facility could move to an undesirable location for employees outside of bankruptcy, unless the IAM provides a cost effective solution to conduct maintenance in-house. In addition, in bankruptcy the same thing could occur with the CLT maintenance facility just like with MCO Rez and the TPA maintenance facilities last time. Apparently a state government is willing to provide financing for the move and tax incentives.

The same thing holds true for the PIT Rez facility, which could close with all reservation sales functions then conducted in INT.

The maintenance facility plan specifics are still being discussed and remain unclear, but I have been told the location and it's not pretty. US Airways does not want to make the move, but it’s an option just like outsourcing all maintenance and related functions if the company files for a “formal reorganizationâ€￾ a second time.

What's interesting is that the IAM may be playing right into the company's hands and the union may be rolling the dice on the A320 outsourcing grievance, since the company wins the majority of all grievances. Management has a number of options that it could exercise for different employee groups, none of them are pleasant, and they can create a lot of employee pain, either in or out of bankruptcy.

Every employee group will see cuts one way or another and we still could see asset sales, although I believe they will be limited to such items as the MCO Rez building, PSA, two simulators, excess training equipment, aircraft delivery positions, and maybe MDA aircraft per LOA 91.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The maintenance facility plan specifics are still being discussed and remain unclear, but I have been told the location and it's not pretty. US Airways does not want to make the move, but it’s an option just like outsourcing all maintenance and related functions if the company files for a “formal reorganizationâ€￾ a second time.

What's interesting is that the IAM may be playing right into the company's hands and the union may be rolling the dice on the A320 outsourcing grievance, since the company wins the majority of all grievances. Management has a number of options that it could exercise for different employee groups, none of them are pleasant, and they can create a lot of employee pain, either in or out of bankruptcy.
Respectfully,
USA320Pilot
More false information. AAR has leased IND hangar.

And yep a line pilot knows all the company's deep dark secret plans.

The company does not win the majority of the grievances, are you an IAM General Chair or grievance committeeman? Nope, do I have to go back and refresh your memory of all the major grievances the IAM has won against the company?