US AIRWAYS SALARY GRADES

It all depends-In Revenu Accounting and at HQ If you are hired from the outside and are smart enough to negotiate you can get the high end of the scale. If you are promoted from within you get an 8% for a promotion of 1 grade,10% for 2 grades, and 12 % for anthing over 2 grades. And when you are promoted from within there is NO negotiating, so it is possible that someone who has never worked for the company and has no airline experince could be hired at a higher rate than someone who has been at the company for a couple of years. Their scam is that they will "bring you up to scale" when you get promoted but the pay scale for each position has a 5-10000 span, so you could already be in the middle of the new pay scale before you even get the promotion.

I know this is probably cold comfort, but this is not unique to US Airways. I am living, breathing, walking, talking proof that a manager can earn less than the people who report to them.....for years! I started as a glorified secretary 16 1/2 years ago.....worked my way up the food chain to Executive Director.....and STILL make less than some of the people on my staff. Yet if I were to leave, not only would they eventually have to hire 2 or 3 people to do my job....most likely the first person they hire will be brought in for thousands more.....and muck things up so badly (i.e. errors resulting in major litigation costs) that it will end up costing the company far more than if they had just given me what I had asked for in the first place.