US Airways eyes ultra long haul

Stupid, or just willing to try something that worked 20 and 30 years ago?

During the 80's, People Express -- those 747's from EWR to LGW and BRU were consistently full. Likewise for the flights from LAX to HNL and PPT.

Likewise for Sir Freddie Laker's Skytrain in the 70's. It wasn't load factors that killed 'em -- it was predatory behavior from BA, PA, and TW.

So, I wouldn't write off the idea of trans-oceanic LCC service just yet.
They try this LCC mess across the Pacific and i guarantee you, the competition will eat thier lunch, print it! Long gone are the days where people will pay a high price for piss poor service when the competition has a better product for the same or less price.

They try this LCC mess across the Pacific and i guarantee you, the competition will eat thier lunch, print it! Long gone are the days where people will pay a high price for piss poor service when the competition has a better product for the same or less price.

Well then explain United? From what I hear their transpacific service leaves much to be desired when you compare it to the level of service provided by Cathay Pacific,Singapore ,Asiana and all the other Asian carriers they compete with . Yet they're still out there,slugging it out. Can't see USAir being any worse....But then again ,we are talking about USAir,aren't we?

Well then explain United? From what I hear their transpacific service leaves much to be desired when you compare it to the level of service provided by Cathay Pacific,Singapore ,Asiana and all the other Asian carriers they compete with . Yet they're still out there,slugging it out. Can't see USAir being any worse....But then again ,we are talking about USAir,aren't we?
UA has Economy Plus seating at least. US if they get the China route, they are gonna try to fit the entire country in one flight.

"US Airways eyes ultra long haul"

We can look all we want, but actually being capable of doing this is another story. Enjoy the view, because this will probably NEVER be a reality at this carrier.

Already long past the planning stage, dude. An announcement will be forthcoming regarding aircraft within 21 days.

Thank you for proving my point. You compare United to foriegn flag carriers, not other domestic carriers. I was comparing US to other domestic carriers. When using all carriers in the playing field and thier onboard product, US is dead. The product US offers is nothing short of garbage. Its a far cry from what it used to be. Serving meals out of a card board box and charging for headsets, on a 14+ hour flight, wont go very far to win repeat customers ;)

Serving meals out of a card board box and charging for headsets, on a 14+ hour flight, wont go very far to win repeat customers ;)
i heard this mentioned before, but, is it true that meals on international flights are served from a box??
i'd better have a cocktail ready for when i get a response to this!!

I hear they are going to bring back the BAC-111...

PHL-LGW

By way of BOS, Nova Scotia, Greenland, and Iceland...

Oh, and they fixed the running water issue...

i heard this mentioned before, but, is it true that meals on international flights are served from a box??
i'd better have a cocktail ready for when i get a response to this!!
It is a normal meal, served in a flip open type box..... it is comparable to Y C offerings on the majors to Europe.. The box is still served on a tray; this is not that big of a deal, just a different packaging..... Don't get all bent outta shape...

Attachments

• usair133.jpg
    usair133.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 167
I like the box. It keeps everything on the tray and I don't have to go hunting in the cart for all the rolls or butters that fell off the tray.

It is a normal meal, served in a flip open type box..... it is comparable to Y C offerings on the majors to Europe.. The box is still served on a tray; this is not that big of a deal, just a different packaging..... Don't get all bent outta shape...
How long did it take to get that in picture perfect status?

Not usually one to defend but the box is actually not bad, it's just different packaging to keep everything together. The meal in coach is pretty much in line with any old coach airline food- US just doesn't change thiers as much as other carriers.

In Economy US went from the best US carrier across the pond to average or below as far as inflight service. The arrival service (a donut) is not on par with the other US carriers. One big problem for US is the drastic difference between it's A330s and B767s as far as stuff like IFE goes- night and day.

You can see all of US Airways meals here : airlinemeals.net

Huh? That's how it is boarded. Surely you can find something wrong with it, tho? :lol:
You are kidding, right? You are aware that this isnt standard or consistent, right? The only thing thats standard and consistent are the bad attempts to rationalize garbage. Give the inflight crews the proper tools to do their jobs better which will help to retain customers. Box lunch on a long haul or ultra long haul flight is stupid and not a winning plan. Add to that the fact that you are nickel and dimeing the passengers for booze and headsets, i see this service dead before it begins.

The coach meal served in a box on a tray as tacky as it is has been served that way now for I believe two years.