US Airways Seeks Court Approval to End Pacts With Two Unions

Its like my kids, when I tell them its time to go catch the school bus they yell "just a minute" or "I just have to find my shoes", etc. End result ... they miss the bus.

Same thing with these near endless negotiations. U has had problems for 2 years; we're coming up on the 1 year anniversary of 9/11 and some of the groups don't seem to GET IT. ITS TIME. GET IT DONE OR U WILL START PLAYING ALL THE CARDS IT HAS IN ITS HAND.

I think most of those groups got pay raises over the last decade. CWA has been stepped on for too long. I guess time will tell. I wish the new hires well with Sabre. It's a DOS based system in a Windows world. It's ok if you know how to write config.sys and autoexec.bat files. Most agents fight with it everyday. You might believe that you can replace CWA in a week, but that's not going to happen. Most likely the airline will have to shut down. Maybe permanently. Dave's plan...??

I'm actively looking for other employment.

So now suddenly 87 mil is such an insignificant number? It's the workforce behind it, not the money. The money has been squandered daily by the uppers so money ain't the issue or their priority.I feel like I am at a "Waffle" King convention..So which is it folks??????

----------------
On 8/26/2002 7:06:22 PM

RealityCheck,
So you punch your kids face in and then quickly turn around and kiss his boo boos? Sounds a little psycho to me..based on that scenario you yourself just painted, you have rendered your opinions as useless here.&

No one's opinion is useless. No one here is above anyone else to consider another's opinon useless. However, when comments cross the line and can be consider as libel and/or slanderous -- that is when those in authority can overstep and consider words inappropriate and then silence those words. Accusing someone of being a child abuser or questioning their mental stability appears to overstep those bounds. If you were to call 911 or any law enforcement now and state that you neighbor "punches their kids in the face" and states they are "mentally incapable"; DHS or DCS (whichever is in that city)...will be knocking on their door taking their kids away and investigating them. They will take the complaint seriously and look to prove that the claim made was either true or false. If false, those words so easily said have just cause a family weeks - if not months - of turmoil and heartache.

Excuse me, Do you not know what an analogy is? Go back an reread where someone belittles their own 9 yr old child publicly on a message board and then the next second turns around and tries to praise him.The analogy I made was based on those 2 foolish back to back remarks.Your digressing off into HRS FBI NAACP ASPCA land and any other govt group was, to the say the least, unwarranted,unecessary and quite befuddling.

----------------
On 8/26/2002 6:37:30 PM

File Ch.7 after a CWA no vote? Over $87 Million dollars? You're kidding right? Siegal's getting his money one way or the other. It appears you CWA folks are playing Russian Roulette, and are about to hit the bullet in the chamber. Those of you who think a judge is going to look favorably on a rogue group after the MAJORITY have ponied up, think again. This has been a relatively "labor friendly" process. The dollar amount has been reduced to $70 Million, and your leadership could come up with that number in the way of their choosing. For those of you who wanted to "bring on the judge", well here he comes. It appears he's carrying a very LARGE hammer...
----------------

According to CWA officers, The CWA attorneys have enough paper work, facts and figures behind them to disprove any and all attempts at a fair labor friendly negotiations from the company's side, and this is why they have allegedly held out so long. If this is your definition of being rogue, than your work morals and ethics, groceries on the table or not, leave much to be desired.

----------------
[/quote]

Not if you get the doggy cage cleaner position first...
----------------
[/quote]
No thanks, I'll let you have it. That way, you can have the RESPECT you deserve![:bigsmile:]

A couple of minor points.

1. The Judge can only abrogate the existing contract and then approve the imposition of terms by the company. He cannot decertify the union, only the NMB (National Mediation Board) can do that.

2. Should condition in number 1 happen, any party to the bankrupcy may object to the terms, which may necessitate further hearings before the judge. Also, the judge's decision may be immediately appealed to the District Court and so on and so on. Once again, the only ones making money are the lawyers. The company and unions are paying and paying and paying.

An agreement is much preferable to fighting in court. Money and time are two things US Airways and it's stakeholders do not have.

Originally posted by Oldiebutgoody: "U is in sad shape, and it's absolutely pointless to dwell on how it got there (past management, frozen pensions, etc)."

I absolutely cannot let this comment go without responding! Frozen peinsions KEPT this company from being in sad shape years ago. My frozen pension while you were getting one all along. MY salary being frozen for 10 years while you were getting cost-of-living raises along. Yes, it's time for you, not me, to "pony"up something, pardner!

I think we truely can be replaced....but at what
cost to the company and the customer....? Is he willing to take that chance...? It would make us seem even more unstable from a consumers perspective...

Folks,

A good number of people are getting revved into frenzy. Calm down... it's not good for anybody's nerves nor is it any help to our collective situation.

At the moment, there's just not much to do but wait and see what the negotiators come up with. Personally, I expect it to be a decent deal. But, we'll see... and we'll probably see within a very few days.

So much of what is said here is pure speculation and wild rumor. Don't let yourselves be terrified by what "someone who knows" said. Read up on what the process is, what kinds of decisions the judge might make, the types of issues and the timeframes generally taken for decisions. Pay attention to the newspapers, but understand that they have their own interests and beyond "news" (like selling papers :). "If it bleeds, it leads" isn't simply a cynical observation, it's a fact of the news business. Understand that and look for the bias and interest contained in any articles you read.

It may be hard for some folks to have confidence right now. But we each have a choice: despair or hope. Between growing up a pilot's daughter and being an agent's wife, I've known the people who work in the airline business for nearly 40 years. I know the type of people here, their industriousness, their sense of family, their faith and compassion for one another. Their goodwill and devotion to what is just. And knowing all these things, I don't merely choose to hope -- I know there is hope :)

My take on this is the company never did really do any negotiating with the CWA...It was a smoke screen for the public...It was pretty much a take it or leave it negegotiation...No give..all take...And TOTALLY disregarded the sacrafices that were made in the past, while other unions were making sure they were getting their raises...

That doesn't seem labor friendly to me...And by the way the airports have been stripped of enough personnel to do the job, can they be very customer friendly either...

August 27th begins the day with the end of waivers of change fees for customers who have a death in their family, medical emergencies, military, jury duty, etc...."I'm sorry your mother died...that will be $100.00 for the change of your ticket to go home for the funeral....." [:knockout:]

----------------
On 8/26/2002 10:05:06 PM

Originally posted by Oldiebutgoody: "U is in sad shape, and it's absolutely pointless to dwell on how it got there (past management, frozen pensions, etc)."

I absolutely cannot let this comment go without responding! Frozen peinsions KEPT this company from being in sad shape years ago. My frozen pension while you were getting one all along. MY salary being frozen for 10 years while you were getting cost-of-living raises along. Yes, it's time for you, not me, to "pony"up something, pardner!
----------------
I guess we'll see!

Latest posts