Us Airways Special Bulletin

KCFlyer said:
Not that airwhiners.net is a great website, but.......
[post="263554"][/post]​
Well that certainly explains most of your post here and where your vast knowledge of US and the airline indusrty comes from. :shock:

You really do make this too easy. :up:

Me thinks you might be worried that this old bird may still be able to give the big brown bus a run for the money if this gets pulled off.

(Sorry but I couldn't resist. Have a great day.)

delldude said:
yeah...right .....i got this peacefull uneasy feeling about PITMTC and outsourcing....LPP'S included.....AWA likes the vendor route.........its going to factor in....no doubt...........
wha'd elvis say???
return to vendor??
[post="263536"][/post]​

Maybe the HP division will vendor its maintenance to the US division of the new holding company

longing4piedmont said:
Well that certainly explains most of your post here and where your vast knowledge of US and the airline indusrty comes from. :shock:

You really do make this too easy. :up:

Me thinks you might be worried that this old bird may still be able to give the big brown bus a run for the money if this gets pulled off.
(Sorry but I couldn't resist. Have a great day.)
[post="263560"][/post]​

So....America West is financially strong enough to pull this off?
BTW l4p - airwhiners is about as good as flyertalk when it comes to "in the know" posts.

Apparently your vast knowledge of the airline industry comes from your butt occupying a seat.

RowUnderDCA said:
I think that USAirways' branding should NOT survive..
[post="263569"][/post]​

Off with the old on with the new. Hey, there's Hooters Air and they're getting lots of support (uhmmm) from the flying public. There's definitley an opportunity for a niche body-part-named airline... thoughts?

Rico said:
IMO DR. Bronner was only waiting for someone he felt could not just run the company, but mend labor relations and move this operation forward.. Before investing any further RSA funds... Mr Parker is just that type of person.

Because it could be the smartest deal ever, with ample financial backing and support... And still fail if the right leadership is not in place.

A well Run combination of US and AW would be a sharp company
[post="263517"][/post]​

If this is the plan, it IS an important ingredient that US currently has ZERO of. For my friends left behind I hope this is true.

RowUnderDCA said:
I think that USAirways' branding should NOT survive..
[post="263569"][/post]​

Actually, I tend to think that if this really happens, the business pages will "rebrand" the new entity "Financially Troubled America West".

Brilliant move! A U.S.Air and America West merger.Similar to a person in intensive care tieing a huge anchor around his neck and jumping off the Golden
Gate bridge.Yes its true all these executive braintrusts are worth every penny
they make....

USA320Pilot said:
At some point United's creditors could get uncomfortable with the company's labor issues and 2.5 years in bankruptcy. If there is enough investor(s) and money available, US Airways’ investor could go to Chicago and ask United how much money they want for DEN, some aircraft, and South American routes to help the company emerge from its judicial reorganization.

USA320Pilot
[post="263498"][/post]​

Couldn't resist working in a little pot shot at UA even though it has nothing to do with what is going on now, could you.

Your obsession is very sad. Hopefully the U/AmWest ICT/UCT/whatever will provide mental health insurance benefits for you.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bear96 said:
Couldn't resist working in a little pot shot at UA even though it has nothing to do with what is going on now, could you.

Your obsession is very sad. Hopefully the U/AmWest ICT/UCT/whatever will provide mental health insurance benefits for you.
[post="263623"][/post]​

blueskies4ever said:
Brilliant move! A U.S.Air and America West merger.Similar to a person in intensive care tieing a huge anchor around his neck and jumping off the Golden
Gate bridge.Yes its true all these executive braintrusts are worth every penny
they make....
[post="263612"][/post]​

Why do you you think this? It makes sense to me.

Because he, along with so many on here are either:

a.) Too mad at supposed past wrongs inflicted upon them, that they hold a huge grudge towards anything to do with US Airways

or

b.) Is scared that it will work, and create additional competitive pressure upon whatever situation they happen to be in.

AWA is a well run, and profitable company, profitable even without the massive amount of fuel hedging that SWA employed, and that's with SWA breathing down their necks across their entire route structure.

America west is far from being on "life support" in comparison to many other carriers, esp. potential merger canidates such as UAL.

If U can shed off some additional debt, realize all of the cost savings fought for in the recent labor accords, and further rationalize the mainline fleet, it is a prime canidate for marriage.

While still in BK, it can shed or sell off whatever does not fit well into a future merged carrier. It is also a merger that leaves room for expansion = revenue growth domestically and internationally. Many other merger senarios do not offer that.

The key is that people have to be willing to move forward, and stop dwelling in the past. If such a merger were to happen, it is our one best chance to turn this airline into what we always wanted it to become.

Seriously, I think Rico has a point. Look, U management has NOT been working to actually RUN an airline... they've been looking to create a bunch of airline 'parts' that would be attractive to a good airline manager.

A combination with HP can accomplish at least two goals that have nothing to do with operational/marketing/economies and such:

a) get U some AIRLINE management, which it really hasn't had in 10 years, at least
B) convince stakeholders that management has really and finally changed. This is important with not only customers but also venders and employees. After two bankruptcies, I think it'll be important for vendors to believe that U has totally change, even if the brand is not dissolved.

the above does not mean that employees will get everything they have been denied over the past ten years.

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot adds: I still believe a combined US & HP would need to develop the Mid-continent area of the country. In my opinion, two airports would work: STL or DEN. Dependent upon how much money is available, you could further downsize PIT, transfer PIT flying to either STL or DEN, and use Republic EMB-170/190s and CRJ-700/900s as additional lift to develop this part of the country.

I disagree with this completely with USA320Pilot, and agree with Rico.

The combined US/HP (no matter what it is called), does not need a mid-continent hub. For 1, all of the viable mid-continent hubs are already operated by other airlines (i.e. DEN, STL, MDW/ORD, DFW, etc), and those cities without a mid-continent hub (like MCI, COS, OKC, OMA, etc) are probably not hubs for a reason (how many hubs failed at MCI alone?).

Furthermore, how many hubs have been eliminated or reduced from the national system in the past 15 years? PIT, BNA, RDU, SJC, MCI, STL (downsized), DEN/CO, DFW/DL... And that's off the top of my head. The last thing the industry needs is another hub. In fact, the industry has been moving away from hubbing and more towards point-to-point. A combined US/HP has a very good route structure for offering point-to-point service from the middle of the country. A combined US/HP could eventually offer point-to-point service from the middle of the country to big Biz centers of the East and West Coasts, plus great vacation spots like Florida, Carolinas, PHX and LAS.

Secondly, if you want to travel from MSP to MSY, US/HP is not your airline... Well, maybe... MSP-CLT-MSY is not that much worse than MSP-ATL-MSY. But MSP to both coasts with a connection at low fares is not a bad thing.

I believe a combined US/HP will need initially to beef up the middle of the country by adding flights from PHX/LAS/PHL/CLT to points in the middle. Maybe the combined entity could better use DCA/LGA slots to offer RJ service to smaller points in the midwest as well, like ICT and DSM. That would seem like a more profitable service than LGA-ALB, for example, and yet stay within the commuter classification of slots.