US Airways to keep $200M codeshare deal with UAL - for now

Time for US define what they want to be once and for all. If they do not want to be the "quailty" airline that STAR and our "customer" codesharing would like, then it is time to leave STAR. US has made it clear that they are a LCC in the making. That has NOTHING to do with quality. That is a choice and unfortunately for those of us who like alot of service, one we must live with. There is no shame in that. It just may not be for Star or those who prefer a full service airline. Believe me, we at US have had to adjust as well.

Excellent post. I think you hit the nail on the head. I believe that United is breaking away from the legacy pack by investing in products and services that will command a revenue premium. Products such as the resoundingly successful p.s. service, the soon-to-be lauched International Premium Product, upgraded and enhanced IFE throughout the international fleet, as well as retention of pillows, blankets, and complimentary headsets on N. American flights. I think that ARTinISP said it best: A company cannot strip away customer amenities and brand oneself as an LCC while continuing to price-gouge its customers in markets that it can get away with so doing. A recipe for failure, indeed.

Honestly, I keep hearing complaints about the US product and especially First class. I've flown UA F on about 6 segments over the last few weeks, both short haul to ORD and long haul transcons. UA First is definitely better in some ways, but the chicken wrap with cookie I got on ORD-SEA was no different than the roast beef sub with warm brownie I had DCA-PHX. Glass was used on both flights as was real silverware (except the knives, obviously). True, the transcons have ice cream sundaes. If it means Star or no Star, jeez, add the stupid sundae back and move on.

Also, the US planes have been much cleaner lately, the staff seems much happier and the fleet is finally being repainted. Stuff is improving. Before US leaves Star or before Star kicks US out, I really think we need the dust to settle over the next few years.

I think that the debate goes beyond whether there is a sundae cart in first class or not. United is by no means perfect, however, in this forum and other forums, USAir's most loyal customers seem to be echoing the same theme: That their complaints and concerns appear to fall on deaf ears by US management. That is contrasted by the fact that United, even throughout its restructuring, has continued to make product improvements with its most loyal customers in mind. Initiatives such as p.s. service and the branding of explus, which offers first class and economy plus in the express operation, thus providing a much more seamless travel experience to United's most loyal customers. Next on the horizon is the complete refurbishment of the international fleet which will include the introduction of lie-flat beds in United Business, redesigned IFE, thus making United the only U.S. carrier to offer a 3-class product in all of its international markets (outside N. America).

I might add that I spent the better part of a week at World Headquarters in Chicago interfacing with UAL's Senior Executives from every department, very recently. Each executive, from Glenn Tilton himself, to Jane Allen, to Peter MacDonald, and Sean Donahue; all echoed the same theme in different meetings: They are all accutely aware of United's product and operational deficiencies, based upon customer feedback and customer input. Now that the restructuring process is behind them (us), they articulated that they are making it their mission to address and correct United's weaknesses. In my 11 years with the company, I have never witnessed such willingness on the part of management to not only confront, but truly address the issues that plaque United's operation. I walked away from those meetings feeling more hopeful about the future of the company than I've ever been, because, for the first time, it was about discussing and confronting REAL issues and what I perceived to be a true commitment on the part of management to make good on their word. I am by no means a company Kool-Aide drinker, but I walked away feeling like there was some integrity behind their words. Tilton is a sharp-shooter and does not mince words. It was refreshing to get beyond the fluff...

I might add that I spent the better part of a week at World Headquarters in Chicago interfacing with UAL's Senior Executives from every department, very recently. Each executive, from Glenn Tilton himself, to Jane Allen, to Peter MacDonald, and Sean Donahue; all echoed the same theme in different meetings: They are all accutely aware of United's product and operational deficiencies, based upon customer feedback and customer input. Now that the restructuring process is behind them (us), they articulated that they are making it their mission to address and correct United's weaknesses.

That is exactly the same thing that Doug Parker and his team did at AWA and are starting to do at US Airways. They do first have a bunch of mergers issue as a top priority but I can tell you service is still the number one focus and certianly will be once the dust settles. As for UA good for you that you are improving becuase from 1998-2004 you where w/out a doubt the worst US carrier from an operational point of view and are making a turnaround much like DP did with AWA, which was really bad also from 1997-2000.

Again, with all the standardizing of the product now, how can they introduce new product improvements if they can not execute it yet. They need to get the kinks of the merger worked out, get a stable product and then market the new US AIRWAYS with bonus miles, etc.. Then market the product improvements across the combined fleet. And when they add improvements, make sure they can deliver on the existing services plus the new enhancements.

I much rather have the New US wait until they can effectively execute a consistent product before they try to market something new and see if as an inconsistent failure. UAL did not have to merge two airlines together... so US will have to finsih that before improving the product.

Time for US define what they want to be once and for all.

I think Doug has been pretty clear about his vision and it is as a hybrid. He has said many time that you can't out LUV SWA and that the big old bloated legacies are not working either. So the niche in essence is to by close enough to LUV, AIA etc but have some if not most of the benifits of a legacy. And being close to LUV will mean being frugal and provide excellent service. It is not an easy ballance but it can be done.
I will not be suprised that once the merger is done some of the improvements/upgrades a lot of people would like to see will actualy start to happen. We won't be the biggest and fanciest for sure, think more of a steady eddy right down the middle.

And let's just put this one to bed once and for all. UA is not going to kick US out of STAR. And US is not going to leave.

How hard is it to standardize service on both of the carriers that make up US Airways? adding glassware to first class, serving food and having clean airplanes? These are not difficult challenges. Wait until the dust settles? Again, its stale! How are your customers to trust you with real issues if you cannot make these SIMPLE changes overnite? These simple changes do not have to have contracts opened or be negotiated to be implemented, so why hasnt it been done? It shouldnt have to take customer input to know that when a passenger pays for first class service and recieve a drink in a dixie cup to know that you are going the wrong way.