US Airways to Lay Off 890 Flight Attendants

Yeah...we found this out over a week ago. Most have already gotten notice in the mail. Just when you think things can''t get any worse...they do. It just never ends.

We''ve lost nearly half of the flight attendants. All of the B-scalers must be gone now... and this is saving the company money? Wouldnt an early retirement package be better, and keep around the junior, lower-pay employees?
So, there are about 5-6000 F/As laid off, and 100 or so positions at MidAtlantic?
If a FA takes a job with another airline they have to give up thier US recall. Most of the US Airways Express carriers dont require giving up thier recall rights, but wont hire mainline flight attendants! You would think they would get prefential hiring, but instead these regionals are hiring off the street. You would think a furloughed US Airways flight attendant would be able to find a place somewhere within the major growth of thirteen airlines in blue shamu paint jobs, but no.

From what I am being told this is it for right now. The reason they offered only a 4 month VOL Furlough was because in OCT they will be increasing block hours and these people must come back. They cannot extend the leave. As for the 1 Month Leave of Absence people coming back...that is taken into account in the staffing models. So for right now...that''s it until more come back in DEC 03. Unless we take the fleet below 279 but bookings are coming back strong.
Also, in case you didn''t read CATCREW MAIL....the company is going back and re-awarding the 55 hour option to Flight Attendants that bid it for 2003 and could not hold it. Company says this will save jobs however they have not answered the question of canceling some of the INVOL furloughs for JUNE. It seems THE COMPANY approached AFA about this idea. I was in shock. So fasten your seat-belt...things are happening fast.

this isnt a new layoff announcement. There were additional layoffs for flight attendants because all extra positions were removed , as well as a number of flight att. who at some point took vloa, are now coming back forcing a more junior fa to be furloughed. I would expect that in the next couple of years there will continue to be further furloughs due to fa returning from vloa''s!

Less flight attendants in the cabin with the new layoffs. Im sooooo glad we are at higher security status!

USAirBoyA330,

The company states they want to save jobs, and that's why they are offering to open 55 hr option??????

If you note, they said its for the standing bid folks only. Don't hold your breath on saving jobs....this company looks to decrease numbers NOT increase.

Did AFA vote this in??? The PIT President voted it DOWN. This company has something up their sleeve and will be announced within 90 days.

Around 115 people were converted to the 55 hour option on April 17th for June -Dec 03. This should equate to 50 F/A jobs. Now we are waiting to see if they cancel 50 F/A furloughs.
Yes, I am sure YOU did vote against it. That''s all PIT 40 knows how to VOTE. NO. I love people that talk in the 3rd person.
90 days huh?....well....we will wait and see.

Well, YOU will never know...so eat your own heart out my friend....

With regard to furloughs....rest assured, they will NOT be cancelled by this mangement, along with the VISP participants. That too, will not decrease the numbers. This is how this management works. You may despise the PIT AFA President for what ever reason you choose to, and I would bank, you do not know her even a little. And I would also wager that you are NO WAY a PIT/PIW f/a. But no one can deny, that she fights for the f/as and is THEIR voice in her base.

I won''t even go there because it isn''t worth it. But lets just say the PIT Local 40 refused to amend the agenda when a recall was underway. When the elections occur in PIT I am sure "she" will be replaced with great speed. But I guess you can tell yourself whatever you need to get through the day.
As for some furloughs being canceled because of the 55 hour option....
We have not gotten ANY answer from the company but will in a few days. Are you saying that you know something the rest of AFA doesn''t that''s FACT?

----------------
On 4/21/2003 6:24:23 PM USAirBoyA330 wrote:

I won't even go there because it isn't worth it. But lets just say the PIT Local 40 refused to amend the agenda when a recall was underway. When the elections occur in PIT I am sure "she" will be replaced with great speed. But I guess you can tell yourself whatever you need to get through the day.
As for some furloughs being canceled because of the 55 hour option....
We have not gotten ANY answer from the company but will in a few days. Are you saying that you know something the rest of AFA doesn't that's FACT?

----------------​
Let's put it this way...something I am NOT willing to share with YOU. Go through your own President. AND I WAS THERE ON THAT VOTE, AND IT WAS NOT AMENDED...IT WAS VOTED DOWN. Obviously, I can see, now, YOU were NOT there, but going by heresay.

The PIT President is NOT concerned about any relection at this point...so go and tell your cronies NOW IS the time to start worrying! YOU ARE NOT IN PITTSBURGH BASE, VERY OBVIOUS.

USAIRBOYA330, Since I first "outed" PITBULL a few months ago, I believe by the way her writings have changed that she has turned over her diatribe to the person who was always doing her ghost writing anyway. So, when she says, she is not the Local LEC, I think she may be telling the truth, now. But I do believe she is our MEC VP. It stinks of her ramblings. And if it is, she too is getting paid to spend time on this link, instead of doing her Union job.

PSA1979,

I see you are still licking your wounds.....

You are not of the PIT base, which we all know. But, nice to know, our fan club is still around not giving a damn about the union, its members, and regarding f/as as "worker bees".

Nice job.

And YOU ARE WRONG ON BOTH COUNTS! My writings have never changed. Obviously, being astute is not your "long suit", as well. But hell, don't want to get too personal.