211 FLIGHT ATTENDANTS TO BE RECALLED

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
From American Airlines:

TODAY WE WILL ANNOUNCE THAT WE WILL BE RECALLING THE
REMAINING 211 FLIGHT ATTENDANTS ON FURLOUGH STATUS.

I thought they were going to have to lay off 2,000?

From American Airlines:

TODAY WE WILL ANNOUNCE THAT WE WILL BE RECALLING THE
REMAINING 211 FLIGHT ATTENDANTS ON FURLOUGH STATUS.

I thought they were going to have to lay off 2,000?

The expectation is that enough FAs will take the $40k early out offer to quit so that furloughs won't be necessary.

AA recently cancelled all FA leaves and recalled all those FAs in anticipation that thousands will take the early out. About 80% of AA's FAs meet the requirements for the early out (15 years).

The expectation is that enough FAs will take the $40k early out offer to quit so that furloughs won't be necessary.

AA recently cancelled all FA leaves and recalled all those FAs in anticipation that thousands will take the early out. About 80% of AA's FAs meet the requirements for the early out (15 years).

$40k? It's not enough to make many jump. Figure if you take out the regular severance of $12000 you are only talking about $28k. So for $28 k you are going to let AA tell you when you are leaving? The majority who will take that deal will be people with no sick bank who were leaving anyway ( a max sick bank is worth as much as $39000).

The buyout was there for the votes they hoped it would garner.

$40k? It's not enough to make many jump.

You crack me up, Bob. Any higher, and they'd be replacing the entire workforce.

It was enough to clear the recall list. Seems to me the APFA actually did something for their members here. Heck, maybe they will wind up hiring off the street.

Reactions: 2 people
Quite a few mechanics I have been speaking to say they are putting in for the early out.
Whether or not they were NO votes will not stop them from putting a few more bucks in their pockets that they otherwise would not have had. 40k BEFORE TAXES is still better to them than 0K BEFORE TAXES.

FA max sick bank can be worth as much as 39K ??? 5 times what a mechanic could get if they maxed out? Congrats to the FAs but there's something wrong with this picture.

Let's face it that many AA employees have seen this BK coming and DO have viable backup plans. And many will get travel benefits which for many people in the airline industry is the biggest reason to have been in it. If economic compensation is not much different compared with other jobs, why stick around in an industry that is as brutal as the airline industry.

Take what you can get and move on. If there was a reasonable expectation of getting more, then hold out for it... but this appears to be about as good as it is going to get.

Max sick payout for a F/A is $3750.00. 1000 hours at $3.75 an hour. Plus, there is no $12,000.00 severance. We got rid of that in 2003. Some would saw to shaft the TWA group. Who really knows? Also, did anyone really think AA would just GIVE $40,000 to furloughed F/A's? HAHAHAHAHA. Not me either. Now they have to come back, go through almost new hire training, a coincidence? I think not and then start work right before Turkey day and then be on reserve for x-mas. All the while having to possibly work for 6-10 months before they get their $40,000. I'm super curious how many will really do that. I say 50, that's my guess.

Reactions: 1 person
Bob Owens states, "The majority who will take that deal will be people with no sick bank who were leaving anyway ( a max sick bank is worth as much as $39000)."

Under Article 13, Minimum Hours to Maintain Employment: To maintain employment, a f/a must be paid 420 hours a year or 35 hours a month.

I'm not sure of the number but there are many f/a's that do not meet that requirement. For some, it would be a major life changing event to achieve 35 hours a month.

Crazy bluebird should just take article 30. Get her $25,000 and 10 passes a year and fly off into the sunset. Problem is that she is so uninformed, that she probably has no idea what article 30 is. Oh well.

It looks to me like Bob was mixing and matching and confusing flight attendants (the subject of this thread) with mechanics. If FAs could get $12k severance just for quitting plus get up to $39k for unused sick time, thousands would have already taken AA up on that. Thing is, AA has not been giving up to $51k to flight attendants to quit.

With about 80% of AA's flight attendants eligible for this early out (have to be topped out - 15 years), it's not inconceivable that several thousand would sign up. If you're anywhere near retirement age, you'd be crazy not to take the $40k. And if you're fed up with management and you've put in your 15 years, take the $40k and find a happier place. There are a lot of 35-40 year old AA flight attendants eligible for this offer who have many years ahead of them to do something else.

It looks to me like Bob was mixing and matching and confusing flight attendants (the subject of this thread) with mechanics. If FAs could get $12k severance just for quitting plus get up to $39k for unused sick time, thousands would have already taken AA up on that. Thing is, AA has not been giving up to $51k to flight attendants to quit.

With about 80% of AA's flight attendants eligible for this early out (have to be topped out - 15 years), it's not inconceivable that several thousand would sign up. If you're anywhere near retirement age, you'd be crazy not to take the $40k. And if you're fed up with management and you've put in your 15 years, take the $40k and find a happier place. There are a lot of 35-40 year old AA flight attendants eligible for this offer who have many years ahead of them to do something else.

I agree with most of what you said but my guess is that the number of flight attendants in their 30's number less then 1000 out 16000 and very very few of them have 15 years. AA tended to hire older people toward the last hiring phase and I have flown with 3 the last month that are in their 50's and 60's that plan on taking the VEOP....unfortunately they are junior to me!

Also, did anyone really think AA would just GIVE $40,000 to furloughed F/A's? HAHAHAHAHA. Not me either. Now they have to come back, go through almost new hire training, a coincidence? I think not and then start work right before Turkey day and then be on reserve for x-mas. All the while having to possibly work for 6-10 months before they get their $40,000. I'm super curious how many will really do that. I say 50, that's my guess.

I've never seen anyone take so much pleasure from other peoples misfortune as you IORFA...Going through tough times builds character for some, and for others I suppose not. I would jump for joy to know that you would be recieving something if you had gone through what we've been through, working for a troubled, bankrupt former premier airline (as you are now) hoping another airline"rescues" us, (as you are now) being stripped of your seniority and stapled, (later to be told the union made a mistake in doing so) being corralled into one base, furloughed, replaced by junior people, furlough pay stripped, brought back, un-fenced, furloughed again, barred from AA f/a message boards, union meetings, having to lobby for extentions, being forced to pay a union poll tax because you actually vote, being told to move on and get over it, being on the street for a decade,... and to think, we actually had the gall to sue...LOL
I hope that one day you'll truly understand the meaning of "There but for the grace of God go I," because how quickly ones fortunes can change.

I'm not laughing at you or your predicament, just that people at work were all very surprised AA included the furloughed into the VEOP. Now we know why. I would bet money that they never intended to give it to any furloughee unless they came back first. That's all, no malice intended. People still don't get AA. They are disingenuous at best. They talk out of both sides of their mouth constantly. Sorry if I didn't clarify what I intended to say and if it was taken wrong.