AA short flight attendants

Flydcoop,

I will admit that I have a hard time with the minimum rest as well. I don’t think it is enough time to get enough rest to fly the next day. I guess my question is why did the union go for that when there were other work rules that could have been altered to perhaps give the same value back? A few that I can think of off the top of my head would be that Dom reserve have no 30/7 just like Intl. Get rid of availability and have either Line holder or Reserve. Make UP and Opt II go after reserves are plotted and then only if needed. Reduce the Guarantee. I am sure I could come up with several others if I had not just come off a 12 day stretch from hell at work. It sounds to me like you should be bitching at your union and not AA. I know the elections were messed up but I cannot say that I really care. The company did what they had to do to get the TA passed and to avoid BK. I for one am glad of that. I still have a job, I can still feed my family. I can still keep a roof over our heads. I think your union sold you out.

I see that FA Mikey and TWAnr have not responded to anything I posted. I find that humorous.

TWAnr, where does it say that sick time is owned by the FA? I have looked though the contract and I cannot find it. It is my understanding that you are a rep of the union and I find it sad that you seem to have no problem with the unethical behavior of FA’s in your union. Is that how you practice criminal law as well?

Sick time, I would think by definition, is to be use when you are sick. If it was intended for other use by the employee, they would have called it something else, perhaps something like “use it when ever you don’t want to go to work timeâ€. But, alas they did not. I find it very revealing that a union rep does not care about abuse in her own house and yet raises hell when the CEO does something out of the public eye, lies about it and then gets caught.

These are the union people that you place your faith with. These are the people you pay your dues to. That to me is a far bigger slap in the face than what Carty did.

Which leads me to another topic. I seem to recall either in this thread or others (too tired to look) that people don’t feel like they are getting a warm fuzzy feeling from AA. They do not feel respected or appreciated. I will be the first to admit that I am a cynic (I know, huge surprise), but geez people, this is a corporation for god sakes. I come to work, I have a little fun if I can, I go home and collect my salary every two weeks. I do not come to work to be appreciated, loved or fondled. If I wanted this, I’d work for a small mom and pop place. It’s work. You are a number on my screen and a voice on my phone. YOUR contract does not allow me to look at you as a person. I could walk up to my GM on the street, spit on his face, piss on his shoes and bust his knee cap and he would have no idea who I was till he saw me at work the next day. I used to get ticked off at stuff like that but then realized that it just does not mater. It is like this in any Corporation. Management tries to get as much work for as little money as they can. Employees try and get as much money for as little work as they can. I get my warm fuzzies from my family. I do the best job that I can at work because it is how I was raised. I have been screwed over by this company more ties than I care to remember. But I chose to stay at AA and that is my decision and therefore I give my best. If any of you have lost that feeling, then find it or leave. It’s very simple.

----------------
On 7/9/2003 3:49:51 PM garfield a wrote:

Flydcoop,

I will admit that I have a hard time with the minimum rest as well. I don’t think it is enough time to get enough rest to fly the next day. I guess my question is why did the union go for that when there were other work rules that could have been altered to perhaps give the same value back? A few that I can think of off the top of my head would be that Dom reserve have no 30/7 just like Intl. Get rid of availability and have either Line holder or Reserve. Make UP and Opt II go after reserves are plotted and then only if needed. Reduce the Guarantee. I am sure I could come up with several others if I had not just come off a 12 day stretch from hell at work. It sounds to me like you should be bitching at your union and not AA. I know the elections were messed up but I cannot say that I really care. The company did what they had to do to get the TA passed and to avoid BK. I for one am glad of that. I still have a job, I can still feed my family. I can still keep a roof over our heads. I think your union sold you out.

I see that FA Mikey and TWAnr have not responded to anything I posted. I find that humorous.

TWAnr, where does it say that sick time is owned by the FA? I have looked though the contract and I cannot find it. It is my understanding that you are a rep of the union and I find it sad that you seem to have no problem with the unethical behavior of FA’s in your union. Is that how you practice criminal law as well?

Sick time, I would think by definition, is to be use when you are sick. If it was intended for other use by the employee, they would have called it something else, perhaps something like “use it when ever you don’t want to go to work time”. But, alas they did not. I find it very revealing that a union rep does not care about abuse in her own house and yet raises hell when the CEO does something out of the public eye, lies about it and then gets caught.

These are the union people that you place your faith with. These are the people you pay your dues to. That to me is a far bigger slap in the face than what Carty did.

Which leads me to another topic. I seem to recall either in this thread or others (too tired to look) that people don’t feel like they are getting a warm fuzzy feeling from AA. They do not feel respected or appreciated. I will be the first to admit that I am a cynic (I know, huge surprise), but geez people, this is a corporation for god sakes. I come to work, I have a little fun if I can, I go home and collect my salary every two weeks. I do not come to work to be appreciated, loved or fondled. If I wanted this, I’d work for a small mom and pop place. It’s work. You are a number on my screen and a voice on my phone. YOUR contract does not allow me to look at you as a person. I could walk up to my GM on the street, spit on his face, piss on his shoes and bust his knee cap and he would have no idea who I was till he saw me at work the next day. I used to get ticked off at stuff like that but then realized that it just does not mater. It is like this in any Corporation. Management tries to get as much work for as little money as they can. Employees try and get as much money for as little work as they can. I get my warm fuzzies from my family. I do the best job that I can at work because it is how I was raised. I have been screwed over by this company more ties than I care to remember. But I chose to stay at AA and that is my decision and therefore I give my best. If any of you have lost that feeling, then find it or leave. It’s very simple.

----------------​

I agree with much of what you said. What would be great for AA, and with everything in life, is if the complainers offered real, workable solutions. It would be great if this board could be used to come up with solutions rather than complaints. Instead, it always seems to be somebody else''s fault that people aren''t happy. (This is where you can hear "America the Beautiful playing in the background).

I let the argument about sick time being a theft alone because it was distracting us all from the real topic. If you do an Internet search on "Sick Time Theft", you will find all sorts of articles and companies that deal with what the HR field calls "Time Theft". No matter what you call it, it is very wrong.

Finally, FAMikey, where are you? I have seen you post on other topics since I last asked you two questions. I am very interested to learn where you got your info on DC getting paid for unused sick time. I don''t think that your statement was accurate, but maybe you have better info.

----------------

----------------​
At the table there were NO negotiations. The true value of each line item or work rule was so devalued, what you or I may think was of equal value. At the table it was not. It was a rush job and a take it or leave it. International makes more than domestic, because of the fact that there were so many waived rules, for us. extended duty day , 30/7 to name a couple. APFA has to look at the whole picture and what future negotiations will bring. What can and cannot be negotiated back later. To say waiving 30/7 as an item is not so simple. Because to diminish the difference between the international and domestic, reduces the reasons for a higher international pay. There is NO way AA would look at that and offer us the true value of savings.

A better question might be. What constitutes the ability to use a sick day. Do I have to be Totally incapacitated? Is the inability to fulfill my job function enough of a reason? Should I be required to see a DR at AA expense anytime I have to call in? What is legitimate and what is not? Who should decide? You or me?

----------------

----------------​
What is it I have not responded too?

----------------
On 7/9/2003 4:43:34 PM buzzkill wrote:

Finally, FAMikey, where are you? I have seen you post on other topics since I last asked you two questions. I am very interested to learn where you got your info on DC getting paid for unused sick time. I don''t think that your statement was accurate, but maybe you have better info.

----------------​
I am right here, as always. About Carty I read it. I am trying to locate the source. What might the other question be?

garfiel a
I agree, some what, with your last statement. The problem that I have is employee morale. Look at other big corporations, airline and service sector, they seem to have little or no problem with employee morale. In my personal experience in management, I was taught to "lead by example". I just dont see a lot of that here. I can only talk about Flight Service Management. I see some of them "stealing" more from the company than the f/a''s do.
I am happy to be here, it''s a job,and I do make my own fun on the plane, but it could be a lot better. I have a good friend at United, and I think that is their biggest down fall. Their morale is, and was low, way before Bankruptcy. I just dont want it to get so far out of hand, that we sink the ship!

----------------
On 7/9/2003 5:59:39 PM FA Mikey wrote:

----------------
On 7/9/2003 4:43:34 PM buzzkill wrote:

----------------​
I am right here, as always. About Carty I read it. I am trying to locate the source. What might the other question be?

----------------​

I really would be interested to see your proof on DC, but everything I can find points the other direction.

My other question was regarding your solution that you offered. I will ask you and Garfield to comment on it. Let''s do something constructive here instead of complaining. Is your solution viable? Does it cost more money? What would it take to make it happen?

As a flight attendant I know I will call in sick for illnesses this year that I wouldn''t have before. If I was sick and I had a 20 hour LA layover I knew that I could suck it up for 6 hours and then get a decent rest out there, now if I have a cold I am calling in sick and it''s going to be a firm 6 days (one occurence). I know if I begin a trip sick, get to LA, have 8.5 hours there and work the allnighter back, I am going to make myself sicker and to tell you the truth this job and company just ain''t worth it. I have the sick time and I am going to use it. You are going to see the sick list growing ever longer as more flight attendants gets run down from being up 24-30 hours at a whack and trying to fly more trips to make ends meet. we are only human and can be pushed so far physically before the house of cards comes crashing down.

Mike-BOS

----------------
On 7/10/2003 9:27:21 AM FA Mikey wrote:

buzz, which solution?

----------------​

FAMikey,

I''m talking about your earlier post that said, "You make the reserve list slightly larger and you keep more people available on the days you know they will be most needed. Thats how."

----------------
On 7/10/2003 11:35:43 AM meechy36 wrote:

As a flight attendant I know I will call in sick for illnesses this year that I wouldn''t have before. If I was sick and I had a 20 hour LA layover I knew that I could suck it up for 6 hours and then get a decent rest out there, now if I have a cold I am calling in sick and it''s going to be a firm 6 days (one occurence). I know if I begin a trip sick, get to LA, have 8.5 hours there and work the allnighter back, I am going to make myself sicker and to tell you the truth this job and company just ain''t worth it. I have the sick time and I am going to use it. You are going to see the sick list growing ever longer as more flight attendants gets run down from being up 24-30 hours at a whack and trying to fly more trips to make ends meet. we are only human and can be pushed so far physically before the house of cards comes crashing down.

Mike-BOS

----------------​

Fair enough, but the spikes on Holidays are very different from what you are describing.

----------------
On 7/10/2003 11:35:43 AM meechy36 wrote:

As a flight attendant I know I will call in sick for illnesses this year that I wouldn't have before. If I was sick and I had a 20 hour LA layover I knew that I could suck it up for 6 hours and then get a decent rest out there, now if I have a cold I am calling in sick and it's going to be a firm 6 days (one occurence). I know if I begin a trip sick, get to LA, have 8.5 hours there and work the allnighter back, I am going to make myself sicker and to tell you the truth this job and company just ain't worth it. I have the sick time and I am going to use it. You are going to see the sick list growing ever longer as more flight attendants gets run down from being up 24-30 hours at a whack and trying to fly more trips to make ends meet. we are only human and can be pushed so far physically before the house of cards comes crashing down.

Mike-BOS

----------------

Its not a problem for people to legitimately use their sick time, its the Holiday Flu's and Weekenditis that is a problem. There is a consistant rise in the sick headcount two or three days prior to a holiday or weekend and then a decrease 2 or 3 days after.

FAMikey.... unfortunately adding more head count is not possible just for holidays. Adding an additional 500 FA's at an employee average cost (salary and benefits) of $30,000 would cost $15 million annually.

And sick time is for when you are unable to safely perform your job functions due to your illness or injury. Also if you are still contagious from previous illness. If you have a sick child or spouse, procedure is to get an PE/EO or PVD to get time off.

This F/A Sick Leave Thing,

I really don’t know much about it. I was a pilot and smoked a lot of cigars. This may have kept the viruses away. Pilots were not designed to stand up. Our job required sitting on our duff most of the time.

So, all I can offer in the way of a possible theory for this recent “requirementâ€￾ to miss flights would be the fact that F/A’s spend a great deal of time on their feet. In recent years, I have experienced a bit of pain after many hours in the upright, walking position.

Maybe a visit to a good foot doctor would shed some light on the problem. A good chiropodist might find that many of you are finding yourselves in “some one else’s shoesâ€￾ these last couple of years. This does make a tremendous difference in one’s outlook of life.

Just hang in there. “You’ll get over itâ€￾, as the saying goes.

Randy

P.S.
For those who don’t want a Dr.’s release in your file, may I suggest you try commuting to STL for a couple of years, and “call me in the morning.â€￾

Ah, yes. Schedulers are like the Virgin Mary. Without sin or error. FYI, I'm a furloughed nAAtive who in 2 years and 10 months of flying caught Scheduling
1. trying to give me illegal (and they were illegal) trips on 3 different occasions,
2. illegally removing me from a trip on a bogus 7-day legality,
3.giving me an illegal missed trip because I wouldn't answer my phone during my contractual 12 hour break. And, don't even think of saying that I have to send you a HISEND
requesting uninterrupted rest. Read CBA, Article 10, Section F, Paragraph 11. You can call during the 11 or 12 hour home base rest; I don't have to answer the phone,
4. calling me at 0130 to tell me I have a trip with a 1430 sign-in. (You know that schedulers do it. I don't know a f/a who hasn't had this happen.)

You are right about one thing, most f/a's know nothing about the contract. They know what they think they heard someone say in the galley. Problem is, that person didn't know the contract either.

Recently, I was told in no uncertain terms by a 15 year f/a that "the FAA requires 8 hours behind the door." I tried to explain that was a contract feature in the gutted CBA, but not FAA required. I tried to tell her what the FAR actually said, but she would have none of it. I was wrong because I was junior and that was that.

People like that deserve whatever Scheduling dishes out.

Latest posts