Us Applies For Dca Slot Exemtions

DCA-SFO on a 757 with 8 F seats? Lots of angry members of Congress and Gucci Gulch types. Will these aircraft be returned to F 24 costing another $100K per unit if the waiver is approved?

My guess is that the issue with using 757s at DCA is a function of the short runway and the long distance that must be covered. As such, US had to use the narrow body jet that permitted the maximum amount of seats while, at the same time, having the legs to make it the 2300 miles out to SFO.

I think that there may have been weight restrictions on an A320 and a A321 which would have made the option not possible. The A319 could probably have done it, but at a price of having only 120 seats per departure.

Personally, I think the 757 conversions should be halted at 15 or 20 aircraft. The others (those with 24 seats) are simply to valuable on certain routes.

Consider changing the CRS around to permit for a "excursion" route 757 - a 75E -and a standard 757 (with 24 seats) to remain in the CRS as a 757.

ITRADE said:
Personally, I think the 757 conversions should be halted at 15 or 20 aircraft. The others (those with 24 seats) are simply to valuable on certain routes.
And just pray you're not ac subbed to an 8 seater when you're booked to 24. Dont think it wouldnt happen. :shock: I think 8 is too few (12 would have been bearable), but now that its started do them all. We had so many years of flying MD80/733/734 around when some were 8 and some were 12 that it was frustrating both for the agents and those who were downgraded due to the ac not being reconfigured. Not a way to win customers. At least with 8 only, you know what you're getting.
Sorry, to keep it on topic. I think these are great additions to the route network if they can get approval for them.

looks like US is up against some fierce competition on these slots. So far Alaska is applying for 2 dailies to SEA and a daily to LAX, and Aloha is applying for a flight to SNA that would continue to HNL.

Sub-fleeting a small fleet type reduces your flexibility during irregular operations. It would be a nightmare if the B757 fleet were broken into 8 f/c and 185 coach and say 16 f/c and 176 coach. I agree with Tad, they should have gone to 12/179 or 12/173 instead.

Is there any way for US to trade in any perimeter slots for beyond slots?
If we end up dropping PIT flights or eliminate the early am/late pm flight on a shuttle route, could they be asked to be changed to a beyond route or is that not a possibility the way the process works with current wording?
Also where are the "new" beyond slots coming from? Did someone quit flying something or is there a way that new slots come open each year or something?

TransatlanticFlyGuy said:
According to filings with the DOT today, US Airways has applied for permission to service SFO,SJU,CHA, and AVL 2x a day from DCA. SFO and SJU will be served by 757 aircraft and AVL and CHA by RJ.
are we looking at low yield hi cap here?point to point against WN?

tadjr said:
Is there any way for US to trade in any perimeter slots for beyond slots?
If we end up dropping PIT flights or eliminate the early am/late pm flight on a shuttle route, could they be asked to be changed to a beyond route or is that not a possibility the way the process works with current wording?
Also where are the "new" beyond slots coming from? Did someone quit flying something or is there a way that new slots come open each year or something?
I remember Dave being upset that Sprit and Airtran getting slots and the fact that he is the hometown airline that he isn't getting any more.

usairways85 said:
looks like US is up against some fierce competition on these slots. So far Alaska is applying for 2 dailies to SEA and a daily to LAX, and Aloha is applying for a flight to SNA that would continue to HNL.
And United wants them as well:

Applies for Nonstop Washington Reagan-San Francisco and Washington Reagan-Denver Service
Friday January 9, 5:20 pm ET
United Would Offer San Francisco Its First Nonstop DCA Service and the First Nonstop Network Carrier Service between Denver and DCA

CHICAGO, Jan. 9 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (OTC Bulletin Board: UALAQ - News) today filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requesting authority to offer two daily nonstop roundtrips between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) and San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and one daily nonstop roundtrip between DCA and Denver International Airport (DEN).
If awarded this opportunity, United will offer the only nonstop service between DCA and California, and the first network carrier nonstop service between DCA and Denver.

"We are excited by the chance to respond to customer demand for convenient nonstop United service between Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and both San Francisco and Denver," said John Tague, executive vice president, customer. "United's proposed new DCA service will also offer passengers their first chance to connect through United's convenient Western hubs to DCA."

Air service to and from DCA is limited by law to airports within 1,250 miles of the airport (known as the perimeter). Legislation passed by Congress in November 2003 created 12 new slot exemptions at DCA that will allow airlines to offer six additional nonstop roundtrip flights between DCA and Western U.S. points beyond the perimeter. The DOT is currently reviewing airline applications for these slot exemptions in a formal proceeding. In this proceeding, United hopes to gain DCA beyond-perimeter slot exemptions for the first time.

"Our proposed nonstop San Francisco and Denver-DCA service fulfills the intent of Congress to improve travel options between DCA and the West, including small and medium-sized communities, while increasing competition," Tague explained.

Under United's proposal, San Francisco would receive its first nonstop service to DCA with an attractive twice-daily pattern. In addition to providing greater convenience and service options between Denver and the nation's capital, United's proposed Denver service would also deliver much- needed access to Washington from many small communities beyond the perimeter.

United plans to operate the proposed new routes with the largest aircraft- type permitted at DCA, the Boeing 757 with 182 seats including 24 First Class and 50 Economy Plus seats. From DCA to SFO, United would offer both an early morning and a late afternoon departure; from SFO United plans two morning departures to meet passenger demand. From DCA to DEN United proposes a morning departure designed to optimize connections to flights to points beyond DEN; from DEN, United's morning departure is timed to permit convenient DCA service from Denver and connecting points.

United serves more Western airports in the contiguous United States than any other carrier. From Denver, United serves more domestic cities than any other carrier through any Western hub.

My prediction: Aloha will get a slot for one stop service to HNL. The DOT has been very interested in new entrants gaining access to DCA. US probably has a decent chance for the RJ service to CHA and AVL and maybe SJU. I would expect UA to get SFO or DEN before US got SFO, though, but who knows, stranger things have happened.

I'd expect US to get a slot or two for AVL, but everything else is a pipe dream.

UA will get SFO long before US will (because they can provide more connectivity on the other end). Were AA to apply for DCA-SJU, they would get it for a similar reason.

Dave better wonder how many politicos he pissed off withthat little "not feeling the love" from Washington remark a few months ago.

Latest posts