US Bolsters Flying to Big Apple

PITOCC71

Nov 17, 2008
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Airways-Bolsters-Flying-to-bw-610877329.html?x=0&.v=1

Must be a response to DL's DC expansion. IMHO it would have been nice if US returned LGA to FLA flying although I realize that may not have been profitable (I doubt any FLA flying these days is with WN and the other LCCs around).

But it's still revenue for US and strengthens the overall network, which has indirect benefits to mainline flying. Yes, I realize this is the 'corporate' viewpoint, but there is some validity here nonetheless.

ALL New Express Flying......

Would you have them fly a 319 back and forth all day?
I for the life of me still don't understand why US doesn't try to fly some of the larger cities within the perimeter. MCI, STL, ORD, MKE, MSP, New Orleans, CLE, ATL, DTW, etc. with either Express or Mainline.
I know some of these cities are other airlines hubs, but it isn't like we don't fly to Atlanta or Chicago at all.

Would you have them fly a 319 back and forth all day?
I for the life of me still don't understand why US doesn't try to fly some of the larger cities within the perimeter. MCI, STL, ORD, MKE, MSP, New Orleans, CLE, ATL, DTW, etc. with either Express or Mainline.
I know some of these cities are other airlines hubs, but it isn't like we don't fly to Atlanta or Chicago at all.

No, But throwing in a EMB190 at peak times would work.
LGA started losing money when we pulled Mainline Flying and went to Express. The Express Carrier are paid the same, 1 Pax or a Full Load, it's all the same.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Airways-Bolsters-Flying-to-bw-610877329.html?x=0&.v=1

Must be a response to DL's DC expansion. IMHO it would have been nice if US returned LGA to FLA flying although I realize that may not have been profitable (I doubt any FLA flying these days is with WN and the other LCCs around).

Fall for the old arguement one more time..............

I am somewhat surprised to see BDL on the list. This must mean US expects the BDL-LGA flight to be mainly for connections as I don't see many people flying simply from NY to Hartford these days.

I'm also somewhat surprised to see IAD on the list. US has had an on-again, off-again relationship with IAD. I think we all remember the ill-fated LGA-IAD Shuttle attempt using DC-9s back in 2000.

US Airways is pleased to offer more choices for our customers who visit the Big Apple, whether it’s for business or pleasure,” said Andrew Nocella, senior vice president, marketing and planning for US Airways. “We are making these enhancements to our New York service in response to the growing demand for air travel to this important and popular business and leisure destination.”

Funny, they said the EXACT opposite a year ago when they announced the mainline base closure. :huh:

LGA IS a money-maker. Those that are there know that. Bring it back .... to Mainline!

I am somewhat surprised to see BDL on the list. This must mean US expects the BDL-LGA flight to be mainly for connections as I don't see many people flying simply from NY to Hartford these days.

I'm also somewhat surprised to see IAD on the list. US has had an on-again, off-again relationship with IAD. I think we all remember the ill-fated LGA-IAD Shuttle attempt using DC-9s back in 2000.

I was too, though US codes shares a lot of UA flights out of IAD. Though I could not get the US or UA web site to book LGA-IAD-XXX. Too early?

Funny, they said the EXACT opposite a year ago when they announced the mainline base closure. :huh:

LGA IS a money-maker. Those that are there know that. Bring it back .... to Mainline!
At this point they have no choice but to make LGA work in their favor. Had the swap with DL taken place, I think that building up DCA would have balanced out the pullback at LGA on the revenue side. I agree that Mainline service at LGA would be the best route to take given that it worked very well in the past. Operating point-to-point flights out of the NYC market with Mainline A/C can work in our favor.