US/DL LGA/DCA Slot Swap Deal

Interesting how Scott Kirby back in February said if the DOT / DOJ did not accept the counter offer the company would walk away from this deal. Now they will "appeal it?" The is not over as the original DOT February stipulations are still on the table so this deal is not dead.

My goodness US just can't win can they? Maybe US should merge with Amtrak and say screw the deal. Hey do ya even think Amtrak would wanna merge with America....Um I mean US Airways?

Reactions: 2 people
Their mission statement doesn't define the scope of their authority. I think they have broad authority to stop deceptive trade practices, which collusion would be one such practice.

A blind sale seems very fair.

It seems US and DL are of the same opinion as my point. From their joint press release.

... Upon review of the just-issued order, we believe the DOT and FAA's decision is inexplicable and has clearly exceeded their statutory authority. We intend to appeal this ruling to the U.S. Court of Appeals."

Yes, I realize a mission statement doesn't define scope, but I took a quick read of the original act that created the DOT, and it too supports the view that thier scope is limited to safety and accessibility, and not regulation of commerce that is related to transportation.

Merging with B6 would be pointless. Besides picking up additional airbus, there isn't a route that US couldn't start out of BOS that B6 flies. Most of the routes they do fly out of BOS, US has flown at one time or another.

It's devious because the DOT's own mission statement is:

Serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient transportation system that meets our vital national interests and enhances the quality of life of the American people, today and into the future.

Regulating fair competition has nothing to do with the authority given to them. They are overstepping their bounds. Limiting slots is ok, because it can be deemed necessary for safety and efficiency. Determing who they should or should not be limited to, is beyond that scope.

DL and US should sue, though the ultimate effect may be the same (DOJ may be granted authority and concur with the DOT's ruling)

Why? Would fair competition be to have the airlines pick and choose who they want to sell the slots to? That would be like the criminals running the prison. WN came up to bat and suddenly it didn't go well with the US and DL planned swap? Bull!

Southwest has the midas touch and US can't handle it. Well you made your bed now share the LUV!

I heard one of the stupidest things I ever heard, but since I've never been there or done it, let me share the speculation...US was doing a slot swap in DCA because United is a dominant force there. US was sure they would merge with UAL, and wanted to cut their slots there. I'm sure I was given a line of BS, right? After all no one can be that ignorant :blink:

My goodness US just can't win can they? Maybe US should merge with Amtrak and say screw the deal. Hey do ya even think Amtrak would wanna merge with America....Um I mean US Airways?

On a comment to a US article, someone suggested that US Airways should merge with Disney. They also suggested a new catch phrase that would rival the US Air begins with U(even though it's about US) theme. Wanna hear it?

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-Air!

Me? I wish I had thought of it!

Merging with B6 would be pointless. Besides picking up additional airbus, there isn't a route that US couldn't start out of BOS that B6 flies. Most of the routes they do fly out of BOS, US has flown at one time or another.

Whoa! Merging with B6, where did that come from? Because LH has interest invested in B6? If B6 were to merge with U the entire NYS and Schumer would turn their backs on OUR airline. B6 was born 10 years ago as an anti-US Air airline. They had attitude and their attitude in my area was against the monopolizing US. They may serve routes that US serves, but I bet their PRICE is a lot lower than Urs! :p

Jetblue is flying MANY routes out of Boston that US never did. That said, we've all heard many times that it's easier to merge with a carrier that already HAS the service in place and facilities than to start your own. I think between JFK and STAR or cough, cough One World connections coupled with PHL, DCA and CLT would create a pretty large domestic airline. A bigger domestic route map would give US the ability to fill more international. No? The bigger you are the more you can throw your weight around. Bottom line is US needs to do something. US won't be able to command premium fares while LCC's are chomping at every market they serve coupled with now giant carriers as UA, DL and AA. I just don't see it. US barely treads water if the wind blows the wrong way NOW.

Makes me wonder the chances of a United and Continental merger getting approved.

Since Obama isn't airline friendly I wondered the same thing. But never fear because Tilton has pull with Chicago area politicians that are probably going to make it happen! B)

I'm pretty sure the merger is a done deal but wouldn't everyones jaw just hit the floor if it didn't? Holy Hell! ! ! Now a CO shareholder is suing? Regardless, US needs to not rest easy and get creative with what they are going to do with this wacky airline. :rolleyes:

Why? Would fair competition be to have the airlines pick and choose who they want to sell the slots to? That would be like the criminals running the prison. WN came up to bat and suddenly it didn't go well with the US and DL planned swap? Bull!

Southwest has the midas touch and US can't handle it. Well you made your bed now share the LUV!

I heard one of the stupidest things I ever heard, but since I've never been there or done it, let me share the speculation...US was doing a slot swap in DCA because United is a dominant force there. US was sure they would merge with UAL, and wanted to cut their slots there. I'm sure I was given a line of BS, right? After all no one can be that ignorant :blink:

If Carribean and Celebrity cruise lines merged, the Coast Gaurd should decide whether or not they can chose not to sell their excess ships to Carbibbean Cruise Line? Not a perfect analogy, but close enough. The agency in charge of safety and infrastructure shouldn't be deciding fair competition.

In fact, since they are requiring a blind sale, there is the possibility that the outcome could be worse for the consumer, in fact, it is a probability, as the winning bid for the slots will pay at a minimum what has already been offered. Higher slot costs equal higher costs equal higher airfares......all of which shouldn't even enter into the DOT's thought process because it is irrelevant to what they are charged to do. A big government power grab.

Reactions: 3 people