Airline also recalls 140 pilots currently flying for regional carriers
TEMPE, Ariz., Sept. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways today
announced plans to hire more than 350 new pilots with training dates beginning
in November 2007. The airline will also move 140 pilots, who currently fly for
US Airways Express carriers, back to the mainline flying seats they were
furloughed from several years ago. The airline's pilot staffing needs are
being driven primarily by retiring mainline pilots. New hire pilots will move
onto the airline's growing Embraer 190 fleet, which in turn will drive current
pilots to other aircraft like the Boeing 737 and Airbus A320 family.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050223/LAW097LOGO)
President Scott Kirby stated, "It was only two short years ago that both
the former US Airways' and America West's futures were in the air. To stand
strong two years later and announce that not only will we no longer have any
pilots on furlough, but also will begin to hire new pilots is simply great
news for our employees and our airline. Our pilots are among the most
experienced and professional in our industry, and we look forward to welcoming
our returning pilots from our Express partners as well as new pilots to our
airline."
Positions will be filled over the next 12 to 16 months. The airline's
Philadelphia base is home to Embraer 190 flying. Candidates can find
qualifications and apply on-line at www.usairways.com/careers or by clicking
the Careers link online at www.usairways.com.
US Airways is the fifth largest domestic airline employing more than
36,000 aviation professionals worldwide. US Airways, US Airways Shuttle and
US Airways Express operate approximately 3,800 flights per day and serve more
than 230 communities in the U.S., Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin
America. The new US Airways -- the product of a merger between America West
and US Airways in September 2005 -- is a member of the Star Alliance network,
which offers our customers 16,000 daily flights to 855 destinations in 155
countries worldwide. This press release and additional information on US
Airways can be found at www.usairways.com. (LCCG)

Airline also recalls 140 pilots currently flying for regional carriers
TEMPE, Ariz., Sept. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

The airline's pilot staffing needs are
being driven primarily by retiring mainline pilots.

President Scott Kirby stated, "It was only two short years ago that both
the former US Airways' and America West's futures were in the air. To stand
strong two years later and announce that not only will we no longer have any
pilots on furlough,

Some very interesting comments in the press release.

Retiring pilots? Is that east attrition? or west attrition? That is generating the need for more hiring.

Futures? I guess that solves the question of who saved who.

No pilots on furlough. So the list of eligible voters is shrinking before the "new hires" come on board. Not bad, not bad at all.

It could possibly be that so many pilots are leaving US for other ailines. I work in CLT and sold employee first class upgrades to pilots going to SFO to work for Virgin America.
Question..Since US is offering a $5000.00 sign-on bonus and no one is taking the bait, what makes them think that issuing a press release is going to help? <_<
Looks like someone (US) is grasping at straws.

It could possibly be that so many pilots are leaving US for other ailines. I work in CLT and sold employee first class upgrades to pilots going to SFO to work for Virgin America.
Question..Since US is offering a $5000.00 sign-on bonus and no one is taking the bait, what makes them think that issuing a press release is going to help? <_<
Looks like someone (US) is grasping at straws.

I personally know three 20+ year F/Os (never furloughed) who went to Virgin. One of th F/Os was an instructor pilot...a pretty good position, I thougt. I also considered Virigin, as they called me, but commuting to the Left coast is not appealing to me. To each his own. I also hear of F/Os and Captains leaving to go to NetJets and SWA.

We just got a message from Ed Bular concerning hiring. They would like to hire up to 25% from the wholly owned carriers (a good thing) and are asking for help in finding applicants. It is true, 350 new pilots and 140 pilots held at the regionals.

No need they will have a pile of applications on no time.

True. Pilots will come here to get the big jet experience to make themselves competitive for SW, AA, JB, FedEx, UPS, etc. And, if they are smart, they will keep their applications current for these and all the real airlines, and get the h*** out of USAirways as soon as they can. We will be chapter 11 again in a few years if we remain a seperate carrier.

The app is online now. Mins are 1500 turboprop/jet time. 500 hours of fixed wing time. ATP or Written completed.

Most won't come here for the Big Jet experience to be competative at other airlines, unless they already have about 1500hrs PIC. As SWA, UPS, Fedex, and others require that. Also if they have the 1500 121 PIC, then they are probably making close to 100k or over now. As many at PSA have said, they wouldn't think of going back to first year pay of 36k/yr. I guess we will see how many hold true to that. I find it odd, that many think they can pick and choose which carrier they are going to go work for. Which I guess if you want to wait, you can in a sense, but there is definately no guarantee that it will happen. If I was was them with the 1500 PIC, I'd take the hit, just to get the seniority number and better life, than at a regional, and then wait out and see if my choice airline comes calling....

Tempe new cost cutting measure, all new pilots will train on new aircraft from company in Taiwan.

gui51.jpg

Per the latest ALPA FastRead it looks like age 65 should be in place in the next 3 months or so. How much is this going to slow things down on the East side? I read somewhere (or heard) that for every 1 guy retiring there were 2 or 3 losing their medical. Is this a correct number or is it high?

Per the latest ALPA FastRead it looks like age 65 should be in place in the next 3 months or so. How much is this going to slow things down on the East side? I read somewhere (or heard) that for every 1 guy retiring there were 2 or 3 losing their medical. Is this a correct number or is it high?
I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

It still has a bit of work to go through in the House.

And after that, GW is going to veto it because of some ATC stuff.

I think 3 mos may be a bit optimistic.

I read somewhere (or heard) that for every 1 guy retiring there were 2 or 3 losing their medical. Is this a correct number or is it high?
Though I've been out of the loop on such things since I retired, that should be way too high.....

As of late last year, East had about 8% of the entire list (including furloughed) out on medical - about 370 of 4600 on the list. That was about 12% of the active list. The price of being generally an older pilot group.

Also primarily because of the average age, the number is slowly increasing - according to the pilot bids, a net of 22 were added to the medical disability roll as of the time the last bid was posted.

Jim