US/MDA FAs file $1.2B lawsuit

FlyOnWall

Senior
Mar 22, 2004
The Flight Attendants of the Embraer division of US Airways ("MidAtlantic") lawsuit against the Association of Flight Attendants and US Airways, Inc. was commenced today in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York on behalf of FA plaintiffs.

The Court has now opened a file and assigned a Judge and a Magistrate Judge. The Magistrate Judge presides over a variety of the day to day aspects of the case, including discovery.

The filing stops the statute of limitations from running. It also means that all persons named in the complaint are now officially plaintiffs in a Federal litigation.

The complaint as filed seeks $1.2 billion in damages from the defendants.

The Flight Attendants of the Embraer division of US Airways ("MidAtlantic") lawsuit against the Association of Flight Attendants and US Airways, Inc. was commenced today in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York on behalf of FA plaintiffs.

The Court has now opened a file and assigned a Judge and a Magistrate Judge. The Magistrate Judge presides over a variety of the day to day aspects of the case, including discovery.

The filing stops the statute of limitations from running. It also means that all persons named in the complaint are now officially plaintiffs in a Federal litigation.

The complaint as filed seeks $1.2 billion in damages from the defendants.

They are suing the past, sorry but most of the people who made that decision are long gone fron US management.

While I've got my own opinion on the potential outcome of this (and the 170 pilot's) suit, that's neither here nor there.

Funny thing about corporations, though. They don't just disappear if one or more executives leave. Likewise, potential liability for decisions made by those executives doesn't disappear with their departure.

Jim

Because that is the American way, if things don't work out like you think they should-SUE.

Do you know why? I am not sure if you do, but if you don't stop with the snide remarks. Even if you do, you should then know why they are suing and should not be smug about it.

These people have been lied to since day one. They were never a "seperate" division. Just because someone said it was. I can tell you I am alot of things, but it doesn't make it a fact. The fact is, that the EMB170 was an aircraft placed on the US ceritication. It WAS NOT a seperate airline. With the exception of the pilots, MetroJet paid the same. Therefore, so should the EMB170 folks. MetroJet gave you credit for time spent as should the EMB170. Bottome line Siegel was a rat and pulled the wool over their heads (or tried). They seem to be to smart for that.

To all MAA pilots and F/As..........GO KICK THERE A$$es. Stand up FINALLY for the working class.

When the outcome of this is made can you all post it. I hope all you MDA employees get what you deserve. Just plain unfair what has happened to you all.
Thanks US AIRWAYS FAN...I am sure it will be posted on here..even if it takes a few years. Who knows how long these things take. I hope it does not drag out for a long time. It could be short and sweet or long a drawn out.

Well Folks,

Why not stand with these women and men? Support them and maybe you can stem the tide against those who make a living working for someone else.
Thanks Piney...we really need help. I am broke and still pay my money for it..and I am sure everyone else is in the same boat. We are not gonna give up.. :up:

Is there a website for people to donate? I heard alot of pilots and FAs have contributed... the ones who were not MDA but know about it.

Why doesn't the union just negotiate, or at least try, with the company to give them thier longevity back with the new merged contract? I know the FAs are owed back pay and all but at least resolving the longevity thing would kind of clear the AFA and the company a bit...

Why does it seem like the AFA has been AGAINST the MDA FAs from the beginning? They went along with the company in acting like it was seperate, making a seperate council and claiming there was a contract that no one could see. They never made it clear to the rest of mainline that this was just a fenced operation with mainline employees, not to mention a total seniority violation. It's like they are trying to screw those FAs. Is there some sort of benefit to the senior FAs to get rid of the junior people? Is there something I'm not seeing?

Thanks US AIRWAYS FAN...I am sure it will be posted on here..even if it takes a few years. Who knows how long these things take. I hope it does not drag out for a long time. It could be short and sweet or long a drawn out.

Don't count on anything in Federal court being short and sweet. A group of AA flight attendants have a suit in Federal court against the company and the APFA (our f/a union) regarding the 2003 concessions and the voting on the concessions. (The basic premise of the suit: Original vote was NO; so, the union in collusion with the company re-opened the voting for another 24 or 48 hours. No voters were allowed to change their vote to Yes. Yes voters were not allowed to change their vote to No. Can't testify to the facts of the case other than the voting was in fact re-opened after the deadline. Just telling you what I was told.)

The suit was filed in late 2003. AFAIK, they still have not gotten out of the "discovery" phase.

I may be wrong but, I think there is still a pending suit from the former TWA flight attendants also. And, that dates back to 2001 or so!

I may be wrong but, I think there is still a pending suit from the former TWA flight attendants also. And, that dates back to 2001 or so!
Unfortunately. I recall their suit was dismissed over a year ago. OTOH, the TWA pilots' lawsuit still lives, although two of the three defendents were dismissed, the remaining one being ALPA. We're also not yet in the discovery phase and have just changed legal counsel. Slow, expensive, and rarely winnable, these kinds of suits are. Good luck to the FAs.

AWA FO
Ex-TWA

The AWA flight attendants were held up in Federal Court for over 5 years before being allowed to have a re-vote. The NMB had ruled that the company interfered with the 2nd election and ruled that another one take place. The company held it up in court until there was a change in the Chairman and President. (pre Parker days)