US should attempt to follow WN's lead

sky high states: NO. It was "ADDED" to the walk up fare!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07312/832202-28.stm

One of those airlines, Dallas-based Southwest, plans to add at least two more Pittsburgh flights next year as US Airways retrenches. It is already the airport's second-largest carrier.

Yesterday, it rolled out a new set of "business select" fares that are $10-30 higher than the carrier's current top fares but allow elite travelers to board sooner, receive extra frequent flier miles and a free drink.

only stating opinions
Why are you so fired up about this? There is no comparison to US. If you take US's highest Y fare (which is multiples of WN's), you get no bonus points, no upgrade (if you are elite, upgrade not guaranteed), and no free drink. So, looks like WN's fare, which is much less expensive, offers WN customers more value than US--of course, this is no surprise.

US should follow WN's lead and not operate a large network of unprofitable unreliable express carriers?

US should follow WN's lead and be more labor friendly?

US should follow WN's lead and be more reliable and provide the customers with a product that is consistant and grrrr... i'm too tired this could be a long list.

If you take US's highest Y fare (which is multiples of WN's), you get no bonus points, no upgrade (if you are elite, upgrade not guaranteed), and no free drink.

You're always talking about people and how they "spin" facts. How about your spin? Of course if you take the highest Y fare as an elite you are guaranteed an upgrade! I have to wonder sometimes about the legitimacy of your board persona. Your name is US1YFare....but for you to not know the instant upgrade on a fare like that really makes me wonder if you are another 17 year old kinglobjaw who isn't really even a preferred member.

When you purchase a full fare (Y or B class) economy ticket, you are eligible for an instant upgrade to First Class.

What I noticed is now WN flies nonstop STL to PHL where us competes with single class regional jets. With the new WN program to allow business fares to board first and improvements to their Rapid Rewards program, and if you factor in the decline of the DM program with the lack of upgrades on flights where there are even first class seats being offered and the hit or miss service levels (will it be a plastic cup, a paper cup or half a mini or a full mini or will they even have ice on board) In a business market like this what business person would choose US and who would choose WN? I think this would further erode some of the local O&D traffic US claims is so benificial in PHL.

Of course this is just one city pair and doesn't mean doom to US but just speaks to the further slow erosion from the loss of possible higher yield fares which this move by WN is meant to capture in the only way that they can given the nature of the airline. What I am trying to point out is that they are smart enough to recognize the value of the business class passenger, something Tempe obviously doesn't recognize by their actions, sure they will say that they do and do things that speak volumes to the contrary. WN is not a business class airline but they see that they can do things that tweak their business model that will enable them to be more business class passenger friendly without adding cost and without changing the character of what the company is, a truly low cost airline.... not a low fare airline, but a low cost airline and thats something Tempe just doesnt get.

You're always talking about people and how they "spin" facts. How about your spin? Of course if you take the highest Y fare as an elite you are guaranteed an upgrade! I have to wonder sometimes about the legitimacy of your board persona. Your name is US1YFare....but for you to not know the instant upgrade on a fare like that really makes me wonder if you are another 17 year old kinglobjaw who isn't really even a preferred member.

IGNORE THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!! (Apparently, I am the man behind the curtain) Too bad for you, I know about what I speak.

Talk about spin. YOU ARE NEVER GUARANTEED AN UPGRADE!!!! Maybe I am speaking from experience and you are half-reading what they tell you. Even though many on here know me, let me take the time to educate you--although it seems that the kool-ade runs thick through your veins and the sand is clogging your brain. Stay out of the sun also--too much is not a good thing as evidenced by some of your statements.

Now, let's start from the beginning. Anyone can buy WN's fares and get those perks--and there has to be a seat left for them to buy the ticket. NOT SO ON USAIRWAYS oh numbnut one.

So let's start with US elites. A US elite, a lowly Silver (US4) for example, buys a ticket at the airport, a Y ticket on a PHL-CLT flight 8-seat 757. Sorry, Mr. Silver, FC is full, so you get sit in Y. And, as a bonus for paying such a high fare, we are not going to give you extra credit for buying such a high fare, and, oh, drinks will cost you $5. Thanks for your business. This would apply to US1, US2, and US3 as well. On WN, the purchaser is getting more value and a cheaper ticket. This happens all the time on US--a preferred changes their flight at the last minute, and guess, what, FC is unavailable--sorry have to sit in coach.

Now, if you aren't an elite, which you don't have to be an elite on WN to buy those fares, and you buy a Y fare, you are even dumber to do so on US--1) you don't get extra credit for buying a high fare; 2) you don't get a free drink (if you do, a westie would write up the FA); and 3) you don't get an upgrade to FC unless you use miles or US sells it to you at an additional cost.

So, to quote my girlfriend who is the Homecoming Queen this year (GO RAIDERS!!!!)--BITE ME

But it's FREE...when it is FREE everyone drinks. :)

SKY High states: Free drinks, NOT this flight: http://www.crankyflier.com/

November 8, 2007
Southwest #1669 Lv Los Angeles (LAX) 625a Arr Las Vegas (LAS) 730a
LAX: Gate 14, Runway 24L, Dept :01L
LAS: Gate C18, Runway 25L, Arr :04E
Aircraft: N425LV, Boeing 737-700, Canyon Blue Colors, ~70% full
Flight Time: 48m

"""They handed out oj and water"""", but I had my own so I passed. I tried to sleep a little, but the guy next to me was pretty talkative for it being so early in the morning. Fortunately, it was a short flight, and we had a nice tour of Vegas before looping back around to land toward the west.

express service on WN.....interesting!

only stating opinions

If you want US to be like WN this is what would have to happen:

Stop all commuter flights.
Stop int'l destinations
Basically eliminate the hubs although WN has what US has called focus cities where you can connect so the hubs would be greatly reduced
Stop red eye's
Simplify fare structure
Eliminate first class
Go to open seating

This would be alot of change however it can be done.

Oh that's brilliant!!!! Uh, no one is making that argument. This about people bashing WN for charging extra for services that US "throws in for free" while they ignore the fact that US's highest fare is multiples of what WN charges and US offers does not "throw in" anything.

You are so WRONG WRONG WRONG.

US does not give you bonuses (unlike CO, DL, NW, UA, and AA) for flying on high coach fares.

Yes they do give bonuses on Y and B class coach fares. I've gotten them multiple times. Maybe they dont offer the bonuses on as many fare classes but they are still there. Just a few examples for you (direct from my DM account with the identifying info XXXed out):

TUS LAS 2712 Y xxxxxx 500
Q2 2007 Y/B ORDINARY BONUS 250

TUS PHX 2937 Y xxxxxx 500

Oh that's brilliant!!!! Uh, no one is making that argument. This about people bashing WN for charging extra for services that US "throws in for free" while they ignore the fact that US's highest fare is multiples of what WN charges and US offers does not "throw in" anything.

While US's highest published fare (full Y) maybe quite a bit higher than WN's highest fare, there are many, many times in which US has fares which are much better than WN's. WN is no longer (and hasnt been for a while), the cheapest airline out there.

While US's highest published fare (full Y) maybe quite a bit higher than WN's highest fare, there are many, many times in which US has fares which are much better than WN's. WN is no longer (and hasnt been for a while), the cheapest airline out there.

There's a reason for that -- people will pay more for better service.

Yes they do give bonuses on Y and B class coach fares. I've gotten them multiple times. Maybe they dont offer the bonuses on as many fare classes but they are still there. Just a few examples for you (direct from my DM account with the identifying info XXXed out):

TUS LAS 2712 Y xxxxxx 500
that is total BS and spin and YOU know it. That was a limited time promotion this summer. We have veen pushing for Y and B bonuses and it fell on deaf ears. At one pint after the merger for a couple months they awarded Y/B bonuses on east flights only and then discontinued that when they destroyed the once wonderful DM program.get your facts straight.

There's a reason for that -- people will pay more for better service.

I didnt know that the "greyhound" style of service that WN offers is considered better service. Even with their updated boarding procedures, fares, etc., they still have a "cattle call" boarding concept. Except now its just a little more "relaxed". WN is not the cheapest airline out there but its low class all the way. I've never seen a passenger use trash bags for carry ons on any airline (including US) with the exception of WN (and for that matter, Air Tran).

that is total BS and spin and YOU know it. That was a limited time promotion this summer. We have veen pushing for Y and B bonuses and it fell on deaf ears. At one pint after the merger for a couple months they awarded Y/B bonuses on east flights only and then discontinued that when they destroyed the once wonderful DM program.get your facts straight.

You actually tried proving your point for once instead of just throwing around the insults, however wrong your facts are. Also, out of respect for each other, how about you saying something like, "I completely disagree and heres why.....", instead of insulting myself and my posts. Or is common courtesy an unknown??

You actually tried proving your point for once instead of just throwing around the insults, however wrong your facts are. Also, out of respect for each other, how about you saying something like, "I completely disagree and heres why.....", instead of insulting myself and my posts. Or is common courtesy an unknown??
Bite me