US & UAL flight attendants beware of Hoffa

justanadd

Advanced
Jan 20, 2003
AFA Meets With President Hoffa To Discuss Possible Affiliation
March 5, 2003
On March 5, 2003, an affiiliation committee from the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) met with General President James Hoffa in Washington DC to discuss the possibility of a partnership between the AFA and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
General President Hoffa began the meeting by praising AFA''s outstanding history of accomplishments on behalf of flight attendants throughout the world. We would be proud to have AFA join our organization and our 1.4 million Teamster members, he said.
President Hoffa also stressed how important it was that Unions explore the possibilities of alliances and partnerships, much the way airlines have done in recent years, to combine resources and increase labor''s effectiveness.
It does make a lot of sense, says Local 2000 Trustee Mollie Reiley. It also underscores how important it is in today''s world to belong to a strong and diverse Union.
According to Reiley, regardless of AFA''s final choice for affiliation, Local 2000 and the IBT would continue to work with the AFA in representing the interests of all flight attendants.
Besides discussions with AFA, the IBT has been approached by several other labor organizations interested in merger/affiliation talks.
Don''t let Hoffa fool you see the NWA forum PFAA files with the National mediation board.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/11/2003 10:32:28 PM justanadd wrote:

AFA Meets With President Hoffa To Discuss Possible Affiliation
----------------
[/blockquote]

US Airways - Soon to become The Official Airline of Giants Stadium and the Meadowlands?

Well, if AFA joined the Teamsters, we'll have to immediately get going with a large chapter of Teamsters for a Democratic Union.

Junior Hoffa is just about as bad a labor leader as one can find. His only teamster job prior to being elected was as a lawyer handling arbitrations for one of the most corrupt union locals in the country (in Detroit). He distinguished himself in that job by regularly blowing off members' arbitration cases and leaving them to twist in the wind.

Since he has been in office as president of the IBT, he has consistently blown off the rank and file in favor of cosy relationships with management, and has turned out a series of disastrous contracts in national negotiations. In the last IBT presidential elections, all of the major locals that had direct experience with Junior's contract negotiations voted against him. It seems he has been far more interested in playing golf with management than acting like a real labor leader.

IBT Local 2000, which NWAC f/a's are members of, was a pretty good local until Junior Hoffa decided to use PFAA as an excuse to trustee it. It used to be one of the best examples of a union local that the rank and file membership had real democratic power and voice. Now a hamfisted trusteeship is pushing the memebrship towards a decert and re-affiliation with a outfit calling itself the Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA).

Folks who've read my comments know I'm hardcore pro-union, but this guy is the worst of what the labor movement (it sure would be nice if it acted like a movement) has to offer.

For more info on this bozo and the damage he has done to teamster members and the teamster union, go for a stroll on the Teamsters for a Democratic Union website at:

www.tdu.org

Yeesh!
-Airlineorphan

Hoffa is scrambling in a move that is strictly political.
What AFA member will want to join the IBT when the IBT's own flight attendants want out of the IBT?

On Monday I read that, 8,000 NWA flight attendants put in enough authorizations to the NMB to get rid of the IBT and a new vote will be scheduled.
The IBT has had a horrible track record in the airlines in these last few years and it hasn't gone unnoticed by the members.

The SWA mechanics just ousted them last month, the Continental Mechanics are set to oust them next month, and the NWA flight attendants are in the process of ousting them next month with an election.

By the end of 2003 it looks like the IBT will only be representing foreign airline members, and some commuter airline personnel.

love

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/12/2003 6:03:51 PM sabre wrote:

Hoffa is scrambling in a move that is strictly political.
What AFA member will want to join the IBT when the IBT's own flight attendants want out of the IBT?

On Monday I read that, 8,000 NWA flight attendants put in enough authorizations to the NMB to get rid of the IBT and a new vote will be scheduled.
The IBT has had a horrible track record in the airlines in these last few years and it hasn't gone unnoticed by the members.

The SWA mechanics just ousted them last month, the Continental Mechanics are set to oust them next month, and the NWA flight attendants are in the process of ousting them next month with an election.

By the end of 2003 it looks like the IBT will only be representing foreign airline members, and some commuter airline personnel.

love
----------------
[/blockquote]

Thanks to you and Airlineorphan. I appreciate that info, and did go on their website. I don't believe it is something that USAirways AFA would want. But, don't forget, AFA has 26 airlines, united being the biggest by having the largest membership of AFA.

I will take this info and disseminate.