Us Airways Flight Attendants' Decision

Hi PitBull,

Do you think there is value in all FAs presenting a unified message, or is it okay for the Burg to make statements in the press and present a picture to the public that does not represent all the FAs?

Shound the MEC Chair, or Communications Chair present statements like this for public consumption?

Seems a bit confusing to me....

Was this out-of-the-ordinary, or business as usual for the AFA?

PITbull said:
The only folks that had a problem with it is MANAGMENT!
Are you stating that the company made the AFA issue this press release? This local union official got her hand slapped by the AFA. PERIOD!

UseYourHead said:
Hi PitBull,

Do you think there is value in all FAs presenting a unified message, or is it okay for the Burg to make statements in the press and present a picture to the public that does not represent all the FAs?

Shound the MEC Chair, or Communications Chair present statements like this for public consumption?

Seems a bit confusing to me....

Was this out-of-the-ordinary, or business as usual for the AFA?
Head,

The 6 voting members represent their individual bases. Sometimes, the MEC is together on an issue and sometimes they are very far apart. Majority rules if there is a vote. However, in the cases of concessions, each base represents their base culture and the LEC President is the spokes person for their base. The MEC President takes all his direction from the 6 voting members of the MEC. Perry, who is the spokes person, does NOT act out on his own or make singular decisions on his own. He takes his direction from the voting members of the MEC. If he does not, the MEC President, could be "recalled" and removed from office.

The voting members of the MEC have the power through the membership, and bring their collective thoughts to the MEC table and debate them. Once consensus is acheived through vote, Perry represents that consensus. That is OUR structure, same as ALPA.

Industry Observer said:
Are you stating that the company made the AFA issue this press release? This local union official got her hand slapped by the AFA. PERIOD!
Industry Observer,

ahhh, YOUR NUTS.

No hand slapping here pal. No such animal. PIT PRes represents her base and speaks for her members.

Jerry was so upset over the results of PIT and that it was published...he was seeing star. :lol:

USA320Pilot said:
The National News media reported yesterday that the AFA polled its entire membership and the results indicated the majority of the F/A's polled said they would not re-open their contract, even if it meant bankruptcy.

Apparently, the company contacted Perry Hayes to have AFA clarify their position, which resulted in the press release.

The issue: Passenger confidence was shaken that could result in less bookings, which could make a bankruptcy filing a self fulfilling prophecy.

Xidas' announcement was poorly worded and an irresponsible action that Perry Hayes took exception to when he said in the recent AFA press release, "Recent articles have incorrectly characterized information posted on the Pittsburgh local council's website as the official position of the MEC. Hayes is the spokesperson for AFA at US Airways and any comments made by another individual, including local presidents, are an expression of that individual's opinion and not necessarily reflective of the MEC's decisions."

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
Accordingly, AFA polled it's INTIRE membership????Wrong, I know many who were not polled. I wasn't Pitbull, Randum or not. It said intire membership. :down:

ktflyhome said:
AFA did NOT poll me and ask me crappolla. I have not heard one word from my LEC or my MEC. What does that tell you????? LIES< LIES and More LIES!!!! :down:
Evidently, you don't know what a poll is. In a scientific poll, a sample of the popluation is contacted. The Wilson Center conducted this poll for AFA. Just because you didn't called doesn't mean anyone has lied to you.

I've never been contacted by ABC, NBC, CBS, or Harris Poll so I guess using your logic, anytime I see poll results on TV, I should know it's a lie. If they don't contact me, they must be lieing, right?

PITbull said:
Head,

The 6 voting members represent their individual bases. Sometimes, the MEC is together on an issue and sometimes they are very far apart. Majority rules if there is a vote. However, in the cases of concessions, each base represents their base culture and the LEC President is the spokes person for their base. The MEC President takes all his direction from the 6 voting members of the MEC. Perry, who is the spokes person, does NOT act out on his own or make singular decisions on his own. He takes his direction from the voting members of the MEC. If he does not, as the MEC President, he could be "recalled" and removed from office.

The voting members of the MEC have the power through the membership, and bring their collective thoughts to the MEC table and debate them. Once consensus is acheived through vote, Perry represents that consensus. That is OUR structure, same as ALPA.
Thank you PitBull,

Within ALPA it is not accepted that an LEC rep. go off on their own to the press and make statements. When it does happen, the LEC rep. in question is considered reckless, because the press and public do not understand that the statements are not the ALPA position, but rather a single fractional group.

I did not know how the AFA viewed LECs and the press, seems to me they would be better served speaking with one voice as well...IMHO

Use your head,

The media received the information directly off the PIT website.

There are many times ALPA is not in agreement, and many times (the roll call 4) are at odds with the rest of the ALPA mec, whereby they then "roll call, and those 4 reps become the MAJORITY.

It was management that was upset with the LECP from PIT. They must have contacted AFA and asked them to send a press release out so the public has the "impression" and the markets that the Pittsburgh f/as are not the majority. They want to know ASAP if we are coming to the table... :lol: LOL....

Eat your heart out!

Management, in their delusional minds, have the impression that the PIT Pres has some kind of profound influence over the stock market and that she can move mountains. LOL :lol: .... She only sent an -line out to her membership, the rest is history.

This is why the exact numbers were not posted on the e-line. Management goes insane not knowing AFA's position. Management plays ALPA like a fiddle, but NOT IAM, CWA or a few members of the MEC AFA.

I believe they pressured AFA probably through the International.

ITRADE said:
Gee, and how would YOU know this?

Oh, let me guess. She told you.
You should really seek some counseling on your obsession with a certain union official.

PITbull said:
Industry Observer,

ahhh, YOUR NUTS.

No hand slapping here pal. No such animal. PIT PRes represents her base and speaks for her members.

Jerry was so upset over the results of PIT and that it was published...he was seeing star. :lol:
So, why did the MEC president issue a public press release - through PR Newswire - essentially calling the PIT survey as an outlier and abberant?

Latest posts