USAirways/America West Merger Talks -WSJ

Certain models may have been hot before the dark blue, but some that were just fine before now can't cope with all the extra heat. We all know that darker colors absorb more of the sun's energy, which in turn makes the skin hotter, and that much more work for an a/c system to try to cool, nevermind on a hot sunny day with no APU. Urban myth, I think not. If there is a paint job change, let's have white or silver tops back!

dashdriver said:
Certain models may have been hot before the dark blue, but some that were just fine before now can't cope with all the extra heat.

Nope. This is just not true. Name ONE aircraft, type or tail number that fits your myth. There is no "all that extra heat." Greeter.

Dog Wonder said:
"AmericaWest...ways....
or just Amways..."

A perfect name for a company where the masses work to make the people on top wealthy.

All you have to do is believe.
[post="263481"][/post]​

Hah! Good one! :D

Walmartgreeter said:
I thought the same thing about 7 years ago, with the intro of the dark top U planes...but it is an urban myth. The U 73's are hot because the APU's are crap, and the U 757, 767, and AB are cool because they have good APUs (and the AB have expecially good cooling systems, in general.) I wish it was as easy as a paint job, I really do. ANY airplane is hot with no apu and bad or no ground air. Just the opinion of a guy who has sweated in all of them. Best, Greeter.
[post="263476"][/post]​

Greeter:

We do everything we can to keep the plane any cooler at all while in PHX or LAS from May-Sept. Examples? We make an announcement after the door has been opened asking those in window seats to please lower their window shades. We also put what is called a bra across the flight deck windows to keep the flight deck cooler. Any change in temperature when the tarmac is 130+ degrees is very welcome.

Remember, APU's do break and PHX and LAS are unique environments in the summer.

From the IAM

April 20, 2005
US Airways Update

It has been widely reported today in the press that US Airways may be discussing a merger or alliance with America West Airlines. At this point, it is unclear what, if anything may come from these talks and it is premature to speculate how a merger between US Airways and any airline may impact Machinists Union members.

Nevertheless, the IAM is prepared to defend our Mechanic & Related and Stores members’ seniority and welfare in the event of a merger between US Airways and any other carrier. IAM members at US Airways have made immense sacrifices to keep this airline aloft, and we will fight to ensure your interests are not discarded in any merger or alliance talks.

Representatives from the Grand Lodge and Districts 141 and 142 are closely monitoring the situation and will report back to the membership as events unfold.

Thank you for your continued solidarity and support.

Sincerely and fraternally,

William O’Driscoll
President and Directing General Chairman
IAM District Lodge 142

From today's Aviation Daily:

America West executives made clear yesterday they feel no obligation to merge with another U.S. airline or make a significant investment, claiming they have a strategy and short-term liquidity to succeed as a standalone carrier, but management also wants to be ahead of the pack if the industry starts to consolidate.

"We're not required to do anything," said CEO Doug Parker in a conference call with analysts. Parker would not comment specifically on AWA's merger talks with US Airways, noting he is "in and out of talks" with other carriers on a fairly regular basis and there was nothing to report. He reiterated his frequent prediction that "consolidation is inevitable" and America West may eventually play a role in the industry changes.

Industry analysts weighed in on the potential deal, with the majority skeptical that a merger could go through. "We believe that an outright merger is unlikely, with financing and labor viewed as the primary impediments," said JP Morgan analyst Jamie Baker. "Neither airline possesses the financial resources nor unencumbered assets to fund any transaction, thereby requiring significant external funding."

JayBrian said:
xoxo bars are candy bars that are given out from the snack basket on US Airways flights in first class. I wrongly assumed that where your handle is from.

Sorry,

Jay
[post="263219"][/post]​
LOL. Thats ok. I am from U, but, thats not where the name came from..thats a good one though. I have eaten so many of those and never really realized that my name is the same. :p

As to branding, I think the USAirways brand means, bad service, lost bags, and failed airline. And it means "the airline that ruined PSA and Piedmont"

Screw the black planes and the east coast incompetence, who wants a reminder of an airline that served burnt out old husks of former industrial cities?

Keep the west, keep the teal zigzag tail, USAirways is just a relic of a name, a reminder of something you don't want.

HPearlyretiree said:
As to branding, I think the USAirways brand means, bad service, lost bags, and failed airline. And it means "the airline that ruined PSA and Piedmont"

Screw the black planes and the east coast incompetence, who wants a reminder of an airline that served burnt out old husks of former industrial cities?

Keep the west, keep the teal zigzag tail, USAirways is just a relic of a name, a reminder of something you don't want.
[post="263550"][/post]​
I agree

Like I said, you were not there, you have no idea what took place and how the laws are against the workers.

Look around, ALPA, AFA, CWA, IAM, TWU and AMFA have ALL taken concessions in the industry.

Yet management ie Siegel and Cohen get rewarded for failure.

And you who ran away from the boards like a frighten child when your buddy threatened your miles.

Gee I thought you were not gonna post on here anymore?

Guess your word is just like US Airways management, worthless.

Don't you have an office to go break into?

And ask the AFA members who have no pension, no defined contribution plan for the next three years how they feel about their contract.

PB, your assessment brought out the deja vue.

You heard it here first.

IF, there is an HP/US combo,

and IF there is a labor intergration,

the Teamsters will kick the IAM's a$$, with US M%R voting solidly Teamster.

Back