Usairways FCPHL, FCO-CLT

dash8roa

Senior
Oct 25, 2003
Any idea what the numbers are on seats blocked off on Usairways flights to PHL and CLT from FCO? The employee web site warns of weight restrictions on these west bound flights to the states.
I am looking at flights showing 30 to 40 empty seats for non-revs and wondering if I will be safe. I was stranded in ATH a few years ago and I don't want to go through that hassle again.

Thanks in advance.

Any idea what the numbers are on seats blocked off on Usairways flights to PHL and CLT from FCO? The employee web site warns of weight restrictions on these west bound flights to the states.
I am looking at flights showing 30 to 40 empty seats for non-revs and wondering if I will be safe. I was stranded in ATH a few years ago and I don't want to go through that hassle again.

Thanks in advance.

There's no telling ahead of time how many seats may be blocked. There are many variables like cargo loads, weather at destination and enroute alternates, geography of the oceanic tracks that day, winds aloft, etc. They don't normally tweak it until near departure time. They may block 30 seats just in case, then realize they can fill them all with non-revs because some cargo didn't show up. Or, the captain may opt to increase the fuel load, which can actually bump cargo in some circumstances. If it's an A330, chances are that open seats will be available out of FCO. If it's a Boeing, maybe, maybe not. ATH with its sad 767 service is a bad bet westbound for non-revving. TLV, even with the 330, is also a bad bet due to the amount of cargo shipped out of there and the distance involved.

Good luck. The only way to know for sure if you will get on is if you are onboard, in your seat and the pilot announces, "We have been cleared onto the runway for takeoff. Flight attendants please take your seats." Then, you can be fairly sure you made the flight.

You might want have a ZED ticket to FRA as a backup...

Great tip! I always have a back up or 2 under my sleeve.

Jan '12 I went to Thailand. Thought a sure bet was CLT-CDG-BKK. We were next in line for seats but due to weight and balance got bumped. Had to fly to FRA, both LH and TG were overbooked out the ying-yang. TG had a downsize the gate was kaos. We got the last 2 seats. That was my longest non rev trip ever. At least we didn't have to spend a night in Paris because we had no backups.

Reactions: 1 person
Great tip! I always have a back up or 2 under my sleeve.

Jan '12 I went to Thailand. Thought a sure bet was CLT-CDG-BKK. We were next in line for seats but due to weight and balance got bumped. Had to fly to FRA, both LH and TG were overbooked out the ying-yang. TG had a downsize the gate was kaos. We got the last 2 seats. That was my longest non rev trip ever. At least we didn't have to spend a night in Paris because we had no backups.

Oh, the joys of international non-revving. I won't even consider it anymore. (I don't even consider domestic non-revving unless I am by myself, and then usually beg for the jumpseat.)

Plan ahead and purchase a deeply discounted ticket. The vacation is oh-so-much-more enjoyable without that iffy return trip hanging over your head the entire time.

Oh, the joys of international non-revving. I won't even consider it anymore. (I don't even consider domestic non-revving unless I am by myself, and then usually beg for the jumpseat.)

Plan ahead and purchase a deeply discounted ticket. The vacation is oh-so-much-more enjoyable without that iffy return trip hanging over your head the entire time.

Over the years I have done very well non-reving to Europe, CDG,MUC,LIS,FCO,BRU,AMS,BCN,VCE,MXP and some trips to Mexico. On one flight to CDG, my wife and I each had a row of four seats on a A330 as there were well over 100 empty seats. Athens was the only bummer out of all the trips across the pond, the 767-200ER does not have the legs.
I still feel its a great perk as long as you avoid peak and holiday times. I am now looking at 3 destinations for a trip at the end of the month. MAD,FCO,or BCN.

Reactions: 1 person