US''s new partner changes ticketing policy - is the industry about to change?

----------------
On 8/30/2002 1:01:11 PM

NEW YORK -- AMR Corp.'s American Airlines changed rules overnight on nonrefundable tickets to eliminate the one-year grace period on missed flights after Oct. 1, and to charge a $100 fee beginning next year for standby flight changes.

HMMMMMMM Guess now AA is not going to be everyones choice...they are following suit....Good for them!!!!!!
----------------
I agree with the previous post about this being a sucker punch. Actually, with the new changes my order of preference for airlines would be UAL, AA then US Air. Thats how the changes would effect my buying choice. The AA changes may help UAL, or CO (depending how they end up) but I dont see them effection US Air as the AA changes are less restrictive to my mind than are the US Air changes. As it stands, this is one CP who is still off US Air Jan 1 as it stands now. Just waiting for more shakeouts on the other airlines to decide where to go, as well as hoping US Air rescinds part of this.

What i cant believe is that no one saw this coming???? I say it again it needed to happen it was way outta control. Maybe not so fast so quick but in some form ! I think the ball is rollin1 Yup south west looks pretty good HUh? Now if you can get to come to all the cities we serve !

"I think the ball is rollin'. Yup Southwest looks pretty good HUh? Now if you can get to come to all the cities we serve !"

This coming from the great regional carrier USAIRWAYS.[:0]

What i cant believe is that no one saw this coming???? I say it again it needed to happen it was way outta control. Maybe not so fast so quick but in some form ! I think the ball is rollin1 Yup south west looks pretty good HUh? Now if you can get to come to all the cities we serve !

As whacky as the other majors have been these past few days, it would not surprise me to see LUV go ahead and start serving PIT, CLT, DEN, and DFW.

I'm not sure what your point would be -- SWA serves every city you serve with no more added drive time than I already incur to take US Airways to a lot of my destinations. And they serve a heck of a lot of cities that you don't.

----------------
On 8/30/2002 5:20:30 PM
Hey tom u should sign up for south wests frequent traveling man program :)
----------------

Where do you get the idea that I'm not?

Look, I know it's hard for you to swallow, but SWA has a lot to teach you guys. If you'd open your eyes and really take a look at what they're doing right and adopt it to your business you'd be kicking butt with customers and raking in money hand over fist all over the place -- including the employees.

But you've got to let go of a few deeply flawed fantasies first.

SWA isn't about "no perks", "cattle calls" and price, price, price. It's about value -- which is a very different thing than price and punishment.

Is SWA my perfect airline? No.

Are there significant lessons to be learned there? Yes.

Is SWA a better choice for me? Sometimes. (Increasingly so as U raises prices and reduces services.)