View Point From Awa Pilot ......

deltawatch

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
AWA pilot view point .... (found this on another board)

Quote " There have been some interesting discussions on the pilots board about crew/aircraft ratios.

It seems UAIR has been operating with minimum crews, somewhat enabled by having eliminated certain contractual limitations on duty, rest, etc. Their September schedule, which includes the loss of close to 30 airplanes was done without any RIF.

In FEB, a similar amount of planes will leave their fleet. Subtracting those aircraft and accounting for retirements, the resulting crew/plane ratio will still be less than the current one at AWA.

I don't think AWA or the combined NEWCO pilots will stand for a reduction or elimination of rigs and other contractual provisions that enhance safety as well as quality of life. It seems to me that there is a good possibility of not having to lay off any pilots.

This does not take into account average aircraft utilization. I don't know how UAIR compares now, nor how the NEWCO will do. It is my hope that connecting the dots, increasing frequencies, and other economies of scale will enable NEWCO to utilize aircraft at the high end of the industrial range, without compromising time for maintenance and cleaning".

Reply 1 " It does sound as though 30 of those planes that are leaving US Airways are turning right around and coming over to AWA. Weird. But AWA already flies several airplanes that are subleased from US Airways. Getting thirty more would be no problem. The fleet manager is happy. Plus, I'd suspect there will be several dozen CRJ900s going East to US Airways system which would be a much better place than the desert for the poor performing, underpowered, mechanical pieces of you-know-what."

Reply 2 " That's more than a "suspicion" -- Parker has said those big RJs are headed east. Which raises the question of what becomes of "AWA Express" out West. A smaller schedule, or just smaller planes? And will Mesa fly them, or one of UAIR's feeders? "

AWA is not increasing its fleet, they are sending planes back, just a few, but no planes that are being removed from US will end up at HP.

Just think about it, why would it leave US just to return when the company mergers in October.

People stop and think.

I understand with the mid October schedule change there "may" be 3 or 4 CRJ-900's based in CLT !

LGA777