Votes: 9 10.7%
  • AMFA

Votes: 51 60.7%
  • Teamsters

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • No Union

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters
You lied about the ability of the IBT or any other union opening a contract just because they gain representation.

You are correct , after reading the postings here, I do lack the debate skills. And I do make many one liners. However my points are usually made. I agree that you are very knowledgeable and can debate, but I find your position faulty. I am an AMFA supporter. I do know what mechanics do. But unlike you I do not believe that the mechanics and the industrial unionists belong together.

I am an A&P mechanic at TUL in the employment of American Airlines. I am a crew chief on a 737 heavy/light C line in Avionics. So while I have no idea what union representatives do on internet forums, I am quite familiar with most aspects of what mechanics in every area do.

And who is we?

Buck,

Your debate skills are slighted mostly by your failure to read.

My first response to this issue was to xUT on August 14 on the TWU & Teamster mirror image thread. I stated that there was a legal option to open the contract before the amendable date. By that, I was referring to my recollection of facts at UA, and the earlier post by Riceweevil which was repeated by xUT. You then posted the Facts On Representation From The TWU.

I responded with the following; A very good read... twice. Seriously though, thanks for the post.

I will disagree based on experience having changed unions twice. For now, however, that is purely a non legal opinion of mine and I will not try to create my own an argument. I'll search the net when I have time and maybe I will come up with a compelling counter or explanation.

All I could find was a full signed version of the same posting from riceweevil, and re-posted it challenging TSH's claim that there has been no legal decisions on the matter. I looked deeper, searched longer, and even made a few inquiries to some former IAM friends and Teamster leaders.

TSH proved me wrong, and I had to agree that this subject has in fact, NEVER BEEN ARGUED IN COURT. Not that I could find anyway. I followed with several posts accepting and defending the Teamsters position that the possibility to create a compelling case to open contract negotiations if there is a change in representation does exist.

In short, I agree with the Teamster attorney.

How does that make me a liar? Because A4, xUT, and TSH said so?

I differ with their opinion. The courts may prove me and the Teamsters wrong, but I will have no hand in that legal argument. Is it a lie to fight a battle and loose in your world?

Buck,

Your debate skills are slighted mostly by your failure to read.

My first response to this issue was to xUT on August 14 on the TWU & Teamster mirror image thread. I stated that there was a legal option to open the contract before the amendable date. By that, I was referring to my recollection of facts at UA, and the earlier post by Riceweevil which was repeated by xUT. You then posted the Facts On Representation From The TWU.

I responded with the following; A very good read... twice. Seriously though, thanks for the post.

I will disagree based on experience having changed unions twice. For now, however, that is purely a non legal opinion of mine and I will not try to create my own an argument. I'll search the net when I have time and maybe I will come up with a compelling counter or explanation.

All I could find was a full signed version of the same posting from riceweevil, and re-posted it challenging TSH's claim that there has been no legal decisions on the matter. I looked deeper, searched longer, and even made a few inquiries to some former IAM friends and Teamster leaders.

TSH proved me wrong, and I had to agree that this subject has in fact, NEVER BEEN ARGUED IN COURT. Not that I could find anyway. I followed with several posts accepting and defending the Teamsters position that the possibility to create a compelling case to open contract negotiations if there is a change in representation does exist.

In short, I agree with the Teamster attorney.

How does that make me a liar? Because A4, xUT, and TSH said so?

I differ with their opinion. The courts may prove me and the Teamsters wrong, but I will have no hand in that legal argument. Is it a lie to fight a battle and loose in your world?

So the Railway Labor Act was written the 1920's and the current NMB position has been in place and confirmed in the 1990's, and Bankruptcy's have been gutting union contracts for years, and all of the sudden, we have the "potential" for a new interpretation of the law, but the AA AMT's have to sign cards and support the ibt first to see if the potential is real or another industrial union false hope?

To you and the other sheep, that will buy this type of BS.

I have swamp land in Arizona at a really great price. Pay via PayPal and I will send you the title to wonderful land. This is really a great piece of land, and you cannot buy this as cheap anywhere else, only right here on this forum.

It is a lie to produce campaign flyers that claim the contract CAN or MUST be opened while a serious ratification is taking place, and then once the votes are counted change the position to a "MAYBE" it can be opened.

I'm looking for some informed opinions on the IAM. I mean they have Boeing right? Why no interest in them?

Because the only mechanics in the airline industry they represent is USAIR and their contract is nearly as bad as ours, not quite, but nearly.

They have basically agreed to just sit by while Parker courts AA and allow their members to continue to work under BK imposed concessions while the company reports record profits. Sure every now and then they make a public complaint, but we dont see them storming the NMB demanding to be released, in other words they arent serious about making sure their members get their fair share of the spoils at USAIR, why would we want them?

Reactions: 1 person
Rumor has it the TWU and Iam have come to a deal in which thevtwu will get fleet svc and the Iam will get tge mechanics . Has anyone heard this also?

YES! Little cutting deals without any input from one person that pays his glorious salary and lifestyle.

Because the only mechanics in the airline industry they represent is USAIR and their contract is nearly as bad as ours, not quite, but nearly.

They have basically agreed to just sit by while Parker courts AA and allow their members to continue to work under BK imposed concessions while the company reports record profits. Sure every now and then they make a public complaint, but we dont see them storming the NMB demanding to be released, in other words they arent serious about making sure their members get their fair share of the spoils at USAIR, why would we want them?

The IAM declared renewed contracts for its US Airways members must be concluded before the IAM is willing to support the merger of US Airways and American Airlines.
“IAM members at US Airways need and deserve contracts now,” said IAM District 141 President Rich Delaney following the announcement that US Airways and American Airlines intend to merge and form the world’s largest airline. “The Machinists Union will not allow US Airways to stall our members’ contract negotiations while it devotes its attention to merging with American Airlines. The IAM is prepared to support this merger only if it provides real value to employees.”
“The IAM has been in negotiations with US Airways to amend existing contracts for approximately two years,” said IAM District 142 President Tom Higginbotham. “US Airways, however, is more concerned with courting American Airlines than negotiating with its own employees.”
While US Airways and American Airlines declared their intention to merge, the pairing still faces many obstacles, including shareholder and regulatory approval.
IAM Air Transport Districts 141 and 142 represent more than 14,000 Mechanics and Related, Fleet Service, Maintenance Instructors and Stockroom employees at US Airways, making it the largest union at the airline. More information about the Machinists Union and the proposed merger is available at www.usaamerger.com.

Parker, Horton, Arpey and Carty along with Jim Little could care less about the AMT's.
Proof is the dragging on of negotiations at AA and USAir. IAM might not approve the Merger but it is happening regardless of how the Unions members feel about it. The unions leaders at AA not the members approved the merger. We never had a say or vote on how to deal with the merger. We are just a liability to the company and a number $$$ to the union.

Its Time We START thinking UNION . What one? :angry2:

Which part of your poll results don't you understand. The IAM is now second to no union.

TWU (4 votes [6.06%])
Percentage of vote: 6.06%
  • IAM (6 votes [9.09%])
    Percentage of vote: 9.09%
  • AMFA (44 votes [66.67%])
    Percentage of vote: 66.67%
  • Teamsters (3 votes [4.55%])
    Percentage of vote: 4.55%
  • No Union (9 votes [13.64%])
    Percentage of vote: 13.64%

“The IAM has been in negotiations with US Airways to amend existing contracts for approximately two years,” said IAM District 142 President Tom Higginbotham. “US Airways, however, is more concerned with courting American Airlines than negotiating with its own employees.”

Exactly, why havent they asked to be released? USAIR is posting profits while the members continue to suffer under one of the worst deals in the industry. If they were serious about helping their members they would have demanded a release to get things moving instead of allowing the company to profit off their labor without striking a deal.

Reactions: 1 person