Wal Mart Sues Brain Damaged Woman

This is a horrible story. To make matters worse for them, the husband is fighting prostate cancer, and they lost their son in Iraq after serving there for only two weeks.

The PR campaign on this is getting stronger. It proves (yet again) what a disgusting company Wal-Mart is, and we should all be boycotting their stores and products.

Here's a good website if you want to learn more about the Shanks, and other Wal-mart atrocities: Walmart Watch

Back to the topic...

And, any of you are surprised at Wal-Mart's actions because...?

Comes down once more to not reading the fine print(housing dilemma :lol: )....something Americans aren't too adept at doing.
Somewhat tragic in this instance but well within Sams rights.Like I said before...a public outcry could sway the outcome here.A legal leaning friend told me this gives WalMart protection from a flood of claims by less than honest types out for a buck.....although in this case it seems unjust.

From a PR view point, Walmart should probably back down at the end of the day.... but the press quote the headline that Walmart will sue this poor lady. But the facts are that Walmart paid 100s of thousands for her care, and then she won a suit which gave her damages of more than what Walmart paid, so Walmart wanted to be reimbursed for the money they had paid. After all this is just like when Medicare pays for heart operations for people who are suing Vioxx maker Merck. Before those people see a penny, Medicare gets reimbursed even if the person has since died.

Walmart's view is that the funds come from their healthcare pool which means less money available for other employees, but given the circumstances of this case, I would assume that eventually they will back down quietly. They probably want to send a message to other employees who are less than honest. But if you look at it from their point of view, if they back down publicly on this case, then a lot more people will say that they made an exception in that case so why not this or that one.

Just my 2 cents. I always find it funny how people criticize Walmart but then shop there.

Comes down once more to not reading the fine print(housing dilemma :lol: )....something Americans aren't too adept at doing.
Somewhat tragic in this instance but well within Sams rights.Like I said before...a public outcry could sway the outcome here.A legal leaning friend told me this gives WalMart protection from a flood of claims by less than honest types out for a buck.....although in this case it seems unjust.

...but the press quote the headline that Walmart will sue this poor lady.
It is not "will sue." Wal-Mart sued her and won, all the way up to the U. S. Supreme Court.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
WASHINGTON — The family of a Missouri woman must reimburse Wal-Mart for nearly a half-million dollars in medical expenses now that the U.S. Supreme Court has refused to review her case.

The court on Monday let stand a ruling by the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis requiring Debbie Shank of Cape Girardeau County to pay nearly $470,000 to Wal-Mart.

The appeal was the last legal recourse for the family of the 52-year-old Shank, a mother of three who was critically injured in a car accident eight years ago.

Here is an interesting interview with her PI lawyer. She is lucky that she won the original law suit, as she appears to have been at fault in the accident.

Health plans are ‘dynamic’ unless built into a CBA, which has proven to be worthless as well.
One of the ‘lures’ for me taking a position with the ‘Lazy U’ was the retirement and benefits.
The only ‘surviving’ benefits are for the executive class.
Everything I was promised is moot.

To be sure, we are in another class war.

The politicos have to be careful in their deception as we move to a ‘global’ economy as we little folks might not agree with their ‘plan’.

If there is to be a ‘global’ economy then there has to be a ‘global’ political leader.

Too Baddddddd So Saddddddddddddd, Arafat is dead......... :p

Latest posts